Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:31:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find information about a miner's reliability  (Read 170 times)
MrMik (OP)

Activity: 199
Merit: 37

View Profile
March 17, 2023, 01:10:01 PM

I don't have any luck finding reviews for miners, used or new, that have been made after some months or years of real world use experience.
Dozen's of 'unboxing' videos and similarly useless stuff is easy to find for many miners, but that's not what I'm after.
What's the best way to go about it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2520

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 17, 2023, 02:49:13 PM
Merited by BitMaxz (1), hugeblack (1)

Easy: Just look through the Mining Support and the Hardware areas of this Forum and come to your own conclusions. Lots of issues reported for all the different miners along with results of the people trying to get them resolved. Read about them and reach your conclusions.

Frankly, using published 'reviews' of any given miner's reliability is highly questionable due to the writers personal biases and/or lack of experience with the brands being ran in widely different environments..

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6366

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 06, 2023, 12:01:21 AM
Merited by BitMaxz (1), hugeblack (1)

I don't have any luck finding reviews for miners, used or new, that have been made after some months or years of real world use experience.
Dozen's of 'unboxing' videos and similarly useless stuff is easy to find for many miners, but that's not what I'm after.
What's the best way to go about it?

This is a million-dollar question, if a miner is proven to be reliable it means it was out there for a long time and now it's probably not profitable to most people, so you either take the risk or wait until the gear is outdated, so that's generally speaking.

In some special cases, like the 17 series, reports were coming out about how terrible those gears were just a few weeks after the first batch, it was easier to avoid those models than say the S9k which took a while to prove how low-quality it was.

The second issue would be whatever reviews you find could be accurate "then" but not now, an example of that would be the Antminer S9, 2 years ago, those were still tanks, today, the failure rate on those S9s is pretty high, which suggests that the lifespan of those miners is coming to an end, and will require some series repair, I have said in this forum alone that S9s were tanks, based on my experience and many others that I know, when I said that back then, it was true, if you happen to read that review and not this one, then it's bad luck.

Most information you can gather regarding gear reliability would come from your own experience, and friends or people you do mining business with, hard to find such info publicly for free, if you want to ask about a specific gear or a comparison of 2 gears I would help to the best of my ability to answer based on what I know,

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sesterceshop

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

shop.sesterce.com

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2023, 06:06:25 AM

Best to hang out in online mining communities and forums like this one. You can engage with experienced miners and ask for their opinions or recommendations based on their real-world mining experiences.

You can also try social media groups on Reddit, Facebook, Telegram, etc. and manufacturer forums or support channels.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: