Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:12:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: i don't have very technical knowledge about how secure it is  (Read 358 times)
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 03, 2023, 11:27:55 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), BlackHatCoiner (4), JayJuanGee (1), ABCbits (1)

If ECDLP, the elliptic curve discrete log problem, turns out not to be as computationally hard as we think,

According to Shor leading quantum computers cannot even solve low bit RSA:  https://youtu.be/d_5u2qdKoUU?t=3708

You misread my post. It has nothing to do with Quantum computers. We assume that ECDLP is hard for *classical* computers, but it may not be...
I'm well aware that quantum computers have not been able to factor any number beyond 21 with a general factoring algorithm like Shor's.

Shor's algorithm can break RSA and ECC if we get sufficiently powerful quantum computers.

I'd phrase that differently. Algorithms are just mathematical concepts, that exist independently of what hardware we can build to run them on. Shor's algorithm breaks RSA and ECC. But we lack the means to run Shor's algorithm on nontrivial instances. And thus *we* cannot break RSA and ECC.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sha420hashcollision

Activity: 98
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2023, 05:37:08 PM

Ok thats all very fair, is there any evidence so far that DLP is not hard for classical computers? I certainly have not seen any.
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 03, 2023, 08:59:02 PM

Ok thats all very fair, is there any evidence so far that DLP is not hard for classical computers? I certainly have not seen any.

Not really, no.

But the fact that it's quantum easy does make it more likely to not-hard than NP-complete problem like 3-SAT, that are assumed to be quantum hard as well...
godofodium

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2023, 06:37:40 PM

what would happen to the value and adoption of Bitcoin if a major flaw in its protocol was discovered and exploited, leading to the loss of a significant portion of the coins in circulation,
and a loss of trust in the technology?
i don't have very technical knowledge about how secure it is .

Something as major flaw that messes up the protocol will be visible very quickly. Worse case the bug may be fixed and the chain forked and restarted from the non corrupt block.
Yes there will be some transaction that wont be valid in the new chain.
The beauty of software is it can be corrected and consensus reached based on logical decisions by people.

..but in the fiat world if you want to correct a wrong you will be put into a metal cage if you are not the well connected elite. Software and distribution has its advantages.
sha420hashcollision

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2023, 07:01:13 PM

what would happen to the value and adoption of Bitcoin if a major flaw in its protocol was discovered and exploited, leading to the loss of a significant portion of the coins in circulation,
and a loss of trust in the technology?
i don't have very technical knowledge about how secure it is .

Something as major flaw that messes up the protocol will be visible very quickly. Worse case the bug may be fixed and the chain forked and restarted from the non corrupt block.
Yes there will be some transaction that wont be valid in the new chain.
The beauty of software is it can be corrected and consensus reached based on logical decisions by people.

..but in the fiat world if you want to correct a wrong you will be put into a metal cage if you are not the well connected elite. Software and distribution has its advantages.

I don't agree 100% but I agree with the sentiment, in the fiat world you literally have 0 chance to fix an error like this. It is only because we have established Bitcoin that this is even possible.
Sidra101

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2023, 02:56:33 PM

In blockchain technologies, its rare to come by less security. Out of 100 percent transactions it's can only be 2 percent of flaws can be encountered during the operation aside of making the mistake of wallet address. I'm not talking about TestNet here.
sha420hashcollision

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2023, 05:20:00 PM

In blockchain technologies, its rare to come by less security. Out of 100 percent transactions it's can only be 2 percent of flaws can be encountered during the operation aside of making the mistake of wallet address. I'm not talking about TestNet here.

Sorry but this is just wrong, there are plenty of operations in blockchain that are insecure and have needed to be patched over the years. Luckily Bitcoin sticks to backwards compatible soft-fork changes that keep everyone on the same network, however other networks such as Eth Sol Ada have to rely on hard-forks to kick non-upgraded clients off the network in the event that they need to patch consensus (through mandatory centralized upgrades ofcourse).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: