Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:49:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatal LevelDB error: IO error... using mergerfs  (Read 81 times)
lcharles123 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1697
Merit: 1074

View Profile
April 05, 2023, 03:27:14 PM
Merited by LoyceV (4), ABCbits (2)

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Bitcoin Core version v24.0.0 (release build)
Operating System: Linux casa2 5.10.0-20-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.158-2 (2022-12-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
System Hardware Specs: 4GB RAM , 4 Cores Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 , 2 HDDs 500GB pooled with mergerfs: total of around 1 TB
Description of Problem:
I have some issues with this node. I think is a issue with mergerfs. I tested the system, filled all of the ~1 TB pool space with 100MB files and worked fine.
Started syncing from scratch, have downloaded around 20GB and occurred a irrecoverable error, because -reindex did not worked:
2023-04-05T14:35:47Z Fatal LevelDB error: IO error: /home/bob/bitcoin-core/.bitcoin/blocks/index/000005.ldb: No such device
I does not have physical access to this computer now.

Code:
$ ls blocks/index
000003.log  000004.log  CURRENT  LOCK  MANIFEST-000002

Code:
root@casa2:~# cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=85701e6a-0a36-4295-8f57-41bb44eb53bc /               ext4    noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=819cb633-8fa4-4384-843e-486d7ce3c53c /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2
# /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
# partition with system
UUID=4551582e-57a9-4a4c-9a95-4b5e3d1df2d6 /mnt/hdd1       ext4    noatime,nodiratime        0       0

# 2nd partition,    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/hdd2
UUID=661363b3-eec9-4cf6-a1a0-0ee06df52604 /mnt/hdd2        ext4    noatime,nodiratime        0       0
# mergint the two mount points into home
/mnt/hdd1:/mnt/hdd2                       /home          fuse.mergerfs  fsname=mergerFS,use_ino,cache.files=off,dropcacheonclose=true,allow_other,category.create=mfs

Log Files from the Bitcoin Client: https://pastebin.com/Q4htt3Ue

Someone uses mergerfs or know if the mount options are ok?
Thank you!!

You have limited power here. -"Bitcoin on Governments"
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2974

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2023, 04:28:05 PM

How did you run the -reindex?
I never heard someone use mergefs for Bitcoin node but it looks like you are trying to combine two hard drives?

Bitcoin core might be confused on reading the drive. If I were you better not to use mergerfs instead use the 2nd drive or external drive as a Bitcoin directory for downloaded blocks and point the Bitcoin core manually on that drive(path).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 7512

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 06, 2023, 11:50:20 AM
Merited by LoyceV (4)

Operating System: Linux casa2 5.10.0-20-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.158-2 (2022-12-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm not aware of any Linux distro called casa? By any chance, do you own computer created by https://keys.casa/ (which no longer receive update since 2-3 years ago)?

Started syncing from scratch, have downloaded around 20GB and occurred a irrecoverable error, because -reindex did not worked:
2023-04-05T14:35:47Z Fatal LevelDB error: IO error: /home/bob/bitcoin-core/.bitcoin/blocks/index/000005.ldb: No such device

After you saw this error, did you check whether you can access /home and perform file read/write?

This isn't related with Bitcoin Core, so i expect you have better luck if you ask this question on mergerfs issue page or it's discord community.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
lcharles123 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1697
Merit: 1074

View Profile
April 06, 2023, 12:27:07 PM

How did you run the -reindex?
I never heard someone use mergefs for Bitcoin node but it looks like you are trying to combine two hard drives?

Bitcoin core might be confused on reading the drive. If I were you better not to use mergerfs instead use the 2nd drive or external drive as a Bitcoin directory for downloaded blocks and point the Bitcoin core manually on that drive(path).
I Just run ./bitcoind -reindex
Yes

I choose mergerfs because it is easy to replace and add drives without effort or losing data.
There is some other alternatives to easy combine drives?

I'm not aware of any Linux distro called casa? By any chance, do you own computer created by https://keys.casa/ (which no longer receive update since 2-3 years ago)?
No, casa2 is a hostname. Can be translated as "house2"

After you saw this error, did you check whether you can access /home and perform file read/write?
Yes, I can do it as root and normal user in any directory from home, .bitcoin and others.

This isn't related with Bitcoin Core, so i expect you have better luck if you ask this question on mergerfs issue page or it's discord community.
Ok, I will search and ask there, maybe I will need physical access to the machine, so will be in a few months.

Thank you all for the answers!

You have limited power here. -"Bitcoin on Governments"
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 5614

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
April 06, 2023, 12:45:09 PM

I have some issues with this node. I think is a issue with mergerfs. I tested the system, filled all of the ~1 TB pool space with 100MB files and worked fine.
Why are you using -loadblock=boostrap.dat?
Have you downloaded a bootstrap file containing the full blockchain? Asked this because you've mentioned that you "started from scratch".
If you didn't intended to use -loadblock, I'd suggest you to just let the node sync normally by skipping that command line option.

Also, try to set the default start-up block verification first and just change them to your preference later once it's stable.
Specifically: checkblocks="24" which is set a bit high from the default (6) and checklevel="0" which skips all verification of checkblocks.

If you can afford to discard the 20GB of already downloaded blocks and since -reindex didn't work, you can try to start with fresh datadir.
(backup your current datadir before doing so)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2974

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2023, 10:44:16 PM

I Just run ./bitcoind -reindex
Yes

Can you tell us what error did you get when you enter the -reindex command to the terminal?

When performing this command did you close your Bitcoin core wallet?
If not, try it again and make sure to close the bitcoin core wallet or go to wallet folder and open terminal there and use this command

Code:
./wallet-cli stop
After that command use the ./bitcoind -reindex again and then update here.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████