Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:10:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ECDSA secp256k1 algo in a excel spreadsheet no macros or arrays  (Read 65 times)
davi1d (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 6

View Profile
April 12, 2023, 05:35:35 AM

I know, I know, "why?" is the right response, but building a bitcoin ECDSA calculator in excel without using macros or array formulas was something I wanted to do

I made a spreadsheet that performs bitcoin's ECDSA calculation and now share with the community as a tool for learning more and diving into how the secp256k1 curve works

Is this the first time its been done?  I haven't seen anything like it anywhere so I think this is the first.  Happy to talk about the long process it took to get to this point

It is a pretty big spreadsheet (over 120MB), but it works from what I can tell.  it takes that many MB just to make one point addition, so one has to copy/paste points to move around the curve (up to 255 times lol)

Fair warning--don't use it for holding bitcoin--this is why I didn't create the public key part (yet)

You can find it on my website:  https://modulo.network

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
April 12, 2023, 09:44:17 AM

I know, I know, "why?" is the right response, but building a bitcoin ECDSA calculator in excel without using macros or array formulas was something I wanted to do

I made a spreadsheet that performs bitcoin's ECDSA calculation and now share with the community as a tool for learning more and diving into how the secp256k1 curve works

Is this the first time its been done?  I haven't seen anything like it anywhere so I think this is the first.  Happy to talk about the long process it took to get to this point

It is a pretty big spreadsheet (over 120MB), but it works from what I can tell.  it takes that many MB just to make one point addition, so one has to copy/paste points to move around the curve (up to 255 times lol)

Fair warning--don't use it for holding bitcoin--this is why I didn't create the public key part (yet)

You can find it on my website:  https://modulo.network
Cool story bro, didn't work I guess elliptic curve is forbidden for people from my part of the woods. Could you make something that would visually display your private key and how it corresponds to x and y on the curve, like clicking on a random point on the graph( interactive) and watching everything in real time!

🖤😏
davi1d (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2023, 11:16:49 PM

Making a graphic interactive version would be interesting but I think I am going to put down the spreadsheets for a little bit for now.  This one took a long time for me to understand the math that is happening within the ECDSA algorithm (am not a math expert by any stretch) and then build the functionality within the spreadsheet.  I am not happy that one has to copy and paste each point as it is calculated in order to get to the correct x,y result, but excel is just not built for size of digits that bitcoin has.  Since I did the SHA256 algo in a spreadsheet before the RIPEMD160 is on my list for next up once I recharge.  This way I hope to create tutorials for all the steps between making a private key to making a receive address

Sorry you could not download it where you are; not sure why it would be prevented.  It is a big file but prevented?  That is strange.  I'll put another link out there if you want to give another go for downloading--let me know
davi1d (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2023, 04:26:19 AM

Congratulations on creating a Bitcoin ECDSA calculator in Excel! While I cannot confirm whether this is the first time it has been done, I can appreciate the effort and time it took to develop such a tool. However, it's important to note that Excel may not be the most secure or reliable tool for handling sensitive financial data, especially regarding Bitcoin transactions.

Thank you very much for the kind words, and yes, agree on your note that it needs to be used in a purely educational way, not to store value.  Lips sealed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: