Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:26:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spend bitcoins from specific address  (Read 2755 times)
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 04:04:55 AM

I wish you would implement some of the bitcoin protocol within OT. I am frustrated with the conservative reference platform's refusal to embrace side-channel transactions. An OT client which didn't just facilitate smart contracts denominated in bitcoin but actually handled bitcoin transaction and key management would be killer.

Be careful not to follow the plight of Google Wave: a superior framework too abstract to catch hold.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 12:06:01 PM

I wish you would implement some of the bitcoin protocol within OT. I am frustrated with the conservative reference platform's refusal to embrace side-channel transactions. An OT client which didn't just facilitate smart contracts denominated in bitcoin but actually handled bitcoin transaction and key management would be killer.

Be careful not to follow the plight of Google Wave: a superior framework too abstract to catch hold.

Honestly, if I was going to make some calls to Bitcoin, then I would just include libbitcoin, I wouldn't bother coding it myself. (It'd just be duplicating work.) I seriously doubt that I could make a better implementation of Bitcoin than what Genjix is already doing with libbitcoin.

OT is a useful tool in conjunction with Bitcoin, and the best way to use them together (in your own software) would be to include the OT library to do the OT stuff, and include libbitcoin to do the Bitcoin stuff, and all cross-over transactions between the two is the job of YOUR software, which is connecting the two.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 02:01:27 PM

Here's another excellent patch that hasn't made it into the C++ client, presumably because it is too useful:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24784.0

July video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA_O6Boi7Xo

this really is the most useful client patch ever. it will open your eyes about bitcoin anonymity.

v0.3.x worked like a charm. I updated to v0.5 because of encryption but there is no sendfromaddress patch yet. every time I send some coins I wonder from which addresses they will be send and which addresses will be connected forever.

support coderrr !!
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 02:52:29 AM

Honestly, if I was going to make some calls to Bitcoin, then I would just include libbitcoin, I wouldn't bother coding it myself. (It'd just be duplicating work.) I seriously doubt that I could make a better implementation of Bitcoin than what Genjix is already doing with libbitcoin.

OT is a useful tool in conjunction with Bitcoin, and the best way to use them together (in your own software) would be to include the OT library to do the OT stuff, and include libbitcoin to do the Bitcoin stuff, and all cross-over transactions between the two is the job of YOUR software, which is connecting the two.

Sure, OT + libbitcoin + GUI. At this point, it's too abstract for me, and 99% of people here. In the very least if there were a bunch of utilities, then I could bash script some stuff, slowly getting into it. By Google Wave analogy, you can't just build a beautiful palace underground and expect its brilliance to be self-evident. I know it's much to ask, but that's the way with software. We need to feel it, touch it, see it, use it, before we 'get it'. As it is right now, I can only smell OT, though it smells delicious.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 03:17:39 AM

Here's another excellent patch that hasn't made it into the C++ client, presumably because it is too useful:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24784.0

July video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA_O6Boi7Xo

this really is the most useful client patch ever. it will open your eyes about bitcoin anonymity.

v0.3.x worked like a charm. I updated to v0.5 because of encryption but there is no sendfromaddress patch yet. every time I send some coins I wonder from which addresses they will be send and which addresses will be connected forever.

support coderrr !!

nifty feature, already commented on github  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/415

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
fellowtraveler

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 07:37:06 AM
Last edit: December 16, 2011, 07:51:40 AM by fellowtraveler

Sure, OT + libbitcoin + GUI. At this point, it's too abstract for me, and 99% of people here. In the very least if there were a bunch of utilities, then I could bash script some stuff, slowly getting into it. By Google Wave analogy, you can't just build a beautiful palace underground and expect its brilliance to be self-evident. I know it's much to ask, but that's the way with software. We need to feel it, touch it, see it, use it, before we 'get it'. As it is right now, I can only smell OT, though it smells delicious.

Here is the test GUI: https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Moneychanger

Here is a video walkthrough of me using the GUI:
Accounts, Cash: http://vimeo.com/28141679
Markets, Bitcoin: http://vimeo.com/28142096

I should warn you that a "real" GUI will have a completely different interface than the test GUI, so please don't read too much into the UI "design" since its primary purpose is for protocol testing.

Here's a sample UI design that is probably more accurate for a "real" GUI (left side): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=31032.msg399675#msg399675

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the output of ot -?

Code:
OT CLI Usage:  

ot  --stat (Prints the wallet contents)    ot --prompt (Enter the OT prompt)
ot  [-h|-?|--help]    (Prints this help)   ot --script (assumes script until eof)
The '|' symbol means use --balance or -b, use --withdraw or -w, etc.
The brackets '[]' show required arguments, where default values are
normally expected to be found in:   ~/.ot/command-line-ot.opt
ot  --balance  | -b          [--myacct <acct_id>]   (Display account balance)
ot  --withdraw | -w <amount> [--myacct <acct_id>]   (Withdraw as CASH)
ot  --transfer | -t <amount> [--myacct <acct_id>] [--hisacct <acct_id>]
ot  --cheque   | -c <amount> [--myacct <acct_id>] [--hisnym  <nym_id> ]
ot  --voucher  | -v <amount> [--myacct <acct_id>] [--hisnym  <nym_id> ]
ot  --depositcheque  [--myacct <acct_id>]   (Deposit a cheque.)
ot  --depositpurse   [--myacct <acct_id>]   (Deposit a cash purse.)
ot  --deposittokens  [--myacct <acct_id>]   (Deposit individual cash tokens.)
ot  --inbox    | -i  [--myacct <acct_id>]   (Display the inbox.)
ot  --sign     | -s  [--mynym  <nym_id> ]   (Sign a contract.)
ot  --verify         [--mynym  <nym_id> ]   (Verify a signature.)
ot  --purse    | -p   <arguments>           (Display a purse.)
  Arguments:     [--mynym  <nym_id> ] [--mypurse <asset_type_id>]
ot  --refresh  | -r  [--myacct <acct_id>]    (Download account files from server.)
ot  --refreshnym     [--mynym  <nym_id> ]    (Download nym files from server.)
ot  --marketoffer    [--mynym  <nym_id> ]    (Place an offer on a market.)
Also, [--server <server_id>] will work with all of the above.

Recurring payments:
ot --proposeplan  <arguments>   (Merchant)
  Arguments: [--mynym  <nym_id> ] [--myacct  <acct_id>]  (continued.)
  Continued: [--hisnym <nym_id> ] [--hisacct <acct_id> ]
ot --confirmplan  <arguments>   (Customer)
ot --activateplan <arguments>   (Customer again)
  Arguments: [--mynym  <nym_id> ] [--myacct  <acct_id>]

There is also an OT> prompt, which you can activate like so:
Code:
ot --prompt

OT Prompt instructions (scroll down): https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Test-Wallet-commands

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here is the entire client API, with explanation for each function: https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/API

Better yet, here are clear instructions for USING the API, for each use case: https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Use-Cases

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, the OT client API is fully-scriptable. If you would like to make your own shell scripts, just put #!/usr/local/bin/ot --script at the top of any text file, and then feel free to use any of the API calls.  Here are some sample scripts:  https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/blob/master/scripts

(As I just released the scripting code within the past few days, you can expect more sample scripts to start appearing soon. Eventually there will be scripts for every use case.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a test server, if you want to try out the GUI: http://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/
(Related thread): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53329.0

OT comes with a "localhost" test server, so the easiest way to get started is to just run the server yourself, and then run the GUI against your own local server. I have also provided builds of everything, if you don't want to have to deal with compiling: https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/downloads
To start up the server (after make install) type this:  ot_server

If you need any support, you can email me: fellowtraveler at rayservers dot net.

I can also often be found on #opentransactions at irc.freenode.net and there are others there who run servers, if you need questions answered and I'm not around.

I don't think I can do any more hand-holding than I already am.
FYI, I am not going to write a nice Mac OSX GUI, for these reasons:

1) I do OT in my free time and I can't take on any more projects.

2) There are more projects needing to be done than I could possibly ever code myself.  We need a QT client, Android client, iOS client, Mac OSX client, Windows client, Magneto integration, i2p integration, Tahoe-LAFS integration, POS system, Tor integration. ETC!  (I cannot possibly write all of these although I am willing to try, if you are willing to fund me.)

3) As businesses, gamers, investors, forward-thinkers, early-adopters, etc are already popping up to take advantage of OT, I feel confident at this point that the base will only continue to grow, even if I get hit by a bus tomorrow. The aura of inevitability has set in.

I am sorry to say, if you expect me to produce more than I am already producing, you will probably be disappointed. I've already contributed more free code in the past year than probably most people on this board. (And not finished yet...) But there is only so much I can do.

However, there is good news:  Others ARE popping up and taking on these sorts of projects. OT clients are being meddled with, businesses are starting to pop up, etc. So while I can't do it all myself, the open source community is nevertheless beginning to step in. That's the way it always works: some people get in faster than others. Bitcoin was the same way. But if the technology is good, it WILL get integrated where it adds value, and that's where the potential benefit lies for all of you out there.

OT is probably more comparable to something like OpenSSL, than to something like Google Wave. Asking for an "OT GUI" (although I have paid out of my own pocket to produce the one linked above) is like asking for an "OpenSSL GUI". OpenSSL is more of a library than an application -- and in fact it is used in thousands of different applications. OT is the same way. Each OT application will be entirely different than the others, because the range of uses, similar to OpenSSL, is so wide-open.

One more thing: My primary purpose in writing OT was purely moral. I already have a form of success in life and I do not work in any technical field. This is a side project I made because I had a very clear and powerful vision of what it needed to be, and because I watched over ten years pass by, where no one else was writing it. I wanted to see it exist, and to see it go into the world to make its mark, and to spread the concepts like a mental virus--like a meme, basically with an experimental, reference implementation, and I already feel as if I have been successful at my goal.

I hope you find the links above useful; I encourage you to read the other articles on my wiki as well, as I've been pretty comprehensive about describing all the pieces and their operation. Perhaps you will find your calling  :-)

-FT

co-founder, Monetas
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 12:32:15 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2011, 01:22:32 PM by cbeast

OT seems to be a very sophisticated barter system. Is there a currency relative market value assigned to each transaction? Would it be possible to analyze the variance of anonymously reported types of trades (i.e. silver for tokens in terms of BTC or RMB) like a ticker?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 12:38:59 PM

OT seems to be a very sophisticated barter system. ....

yep, please make a new thread a leaving this on topic, maybe you hit the wrong button when posting it ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 01:24:37 PM

yep, please make a new thread a leaving this on topic, maybe you hit the wrong button when posting it ?

I edited the post. I did press the wrong button. It should have been quote, not reply.  Cheesy

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 01:51:42 PM

I edited the post. I did press the wrong button. It should have been quote, not reply.  Cheesy

lol, i was trying to tell that to fellowtraveler, sorry. I just realized the forum got little screwed up today with lots of cross posts

fellowtraveler

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 01:10:29 AM

FYI, I only posted here to correct misconceptions, in reply to existing discussion in this thread re: Open-Transactions.

(Scroll up. See?)

co-founder, Monetas
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 11:10:33 AM

patches are out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24784.msg622677#msg622677

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2011, 03:28:33 PM

FYI, I only posted here to correct misconceptions, in reply to existing discussion in this thread re: Open-Transactions.

(Scroll up. See?)

[/quote

yep already seen your post but in "Re: Spend bitcoins from specific address" thread Tongue , i'm not posting in "re: Open-Transactions thread"

fellowtraveler

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 01:45:14 AM

(Scroll up. See?)

yep already seen your post but in "Re: Spend bitcoins from specific address" thread Tongue , i'm not posting in "re: Open-Transactions thread"

Well maybe you are trolling me, but I'll go ahead and say it again:

You people, here in this thread, were talking about Open-Transactions first, before I got here.  (That's why I came to this thread, to respond.)

That's why I said "Scroll up" -- so you would realize that people on this thread were already talking about it before I arrived.

I only showed up later -- to respond to what you guys were saying, and clear up any misconceptions.

(Which I still feel as if I am doing...)

co-founder, Monetas
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 02:15:30 AM

Yeah, I've already imported the keys into my computer's wallet.
Importing a private key into one wallet doesn't prevent you from importing it into another. You can start with a blank wallet (make a second -datadir or a Bitcoin install on a second PC or virtual machine), import just the one key and send them all. The main wallet where you have multiple addresses will reflect the updated balance instantly if you leave it running, or after the transaction's block is downloaded the next time you start it.
phathash

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 11:27:37 PM

Is there any Javascript available that can generate a tx? All client-side of course. The result could then be sent to a relay server.
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 11:43:37 PM

Is there any Javascript available that can generate a tx? All client-side of course. The result could then be sent to a relay server.

My Wallet can do this (offline or online). 0.005 - 0.01 BTC fee per tx.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: