Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:46:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Security of Bitcoin  (Read 87 times)
xanto (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 14, 2023, 02:17:40 PM

Hi,guys
I have a specific issue with bitcoin security
The thing is that i need to store a large number of bitcoins (i will not say a specific number,but it is double-digit)
Ledger i do not trust since the very moment when on github came out the service that allows you to hack it and i did it at that time
Maybe he's okay now,but the unpleasant experience remains
The main requirements are that was necessarily electrum wallet and OS Windows
Please reply only to major bitcoin holders who can give specific advice
Because they understand my concerns and fears more than others

Regards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cricktor

Activity: 756
Merit: 1118

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 14, 2023, 02:40:28 PM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4), hosseinimr93 (1)

https://www.smartcustody.com (there's a lot to read in the there linked PDF). Read, study, understand, act responsibly.

I don't promote the Ledger hardware crap (better suitable product name is NoNo). You can replace the Ledger crap with any decent other hardware wallet like Coldcard, Foundation Passport, BitBox02. But you can choose to use Ledger, too. It's your decision.

Two figure bitcoins? Only with hardware wallets or true air-gapped cold storage (multi-sig with hardware wallets is a viable option).

OS Windows is probably the worst choice of OS as it's the biggest target for any malware. Air-gapped cold storage with Linux OS is likely a better choice than M$ Windows. But if you insist on OS Windows, it'll be safe when kept offline and air-gapped, too.

Electrum works fine e.g. with BitBox02 and likely the other devices I mentioned.

Please reply only to major bitcoin holders who can give specific advice
Because they understand my concerns and fears more than others
Good luck in your BTC rich club... Why would you trust other posters here who may pretend to be in the rich club, too?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
April 14, 2023, 02:48:27 PM

Keep it simple but safe. Use standard methods. Overcomplicating things is more likely to end up backfiring.

If it were me, I would be using a multi-sig set up using multiple separate airgapped devices. For example, three airgapped devices, each formatted with a fresh Linux install, full disk encryption, and Electrum. Use this to create a 2-of-3 multi-sig.

If you wanted to, you could substitute one or more of these devices for a good hardware wallet such as Passport, but be aware that sometimes the combination of hardware wallets and multi-sig can malfunction. You should test any set up thoroughly first.
decodx

Activity: 1428
Merit: 931

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
April 14, 2023, 02:52:10 PM

Hi,guys
I have a specific issue with bitcoin security

What's the specific issue you're facing with Bitcoin security?

The thing is that i need to store a large number of bitcoins (i will not say a specific number,but it is double-digit)

The security of your bitcoin holdings is ultimately your responsibility, regardless of the amount you plan to store.

Ledger i do not trust since the very moment when on github came out the service that allows you to hack it and i did it at that time
Maybe he's okay now,but the unpleasant experience remains

If you're still not comfortable using Ledger, you can check out other hardware wallets that might work better for you.

The main requirements are that was necessarily electrum wallet and OS Windows

If your main requirements are to use the Electrum wallet and have it run on a Windows operating system, then you should have no trouble finding a suitable setup. Electrum is compatible with Windows and can be downloaded from their official website. Personally, I'd go for Linux, but that's up to you.

Consider using a cold storage setup. With this method, you would install your wallet software on a device that is completely disconnected from the internet (air-gapped), ensuring that it is safe from potential malware or hacking attempts. You can then use another device, such as your computer or mobile phone, to create and broadcast transactions through a "watch-only" wallet. This allows you to monitor your cold storage wallet's balance and transaction history without exposing it to any potential online threats. Additionally, be sure to create a strong password and backup your wallet's seed phrase in a secure location.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
ImThour
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1512

Bitcoin Bottom was at $15.4k

View Profile
April 14, 2023, 03:08:59 PM

As many others already suggested your methods, I will not go through recommending them again and again however here is a small piece of advice that I would like you to give:

1. Do not connect the device to the internet at all
2. Do not store your Bitcoin on your main system (personal system)
3. Try to divide bitcoin holding in various different addresses or systems I would say.

If you have let's suppose 50 Bitcoin which is currently worth $150k, I am sure you can afford 2-3 new system(s) with no GPU and only bare minimum RAM (8GB) with 2 TB SSD and that will be enough security.

As o_e_l_e_o mentioned, keep it simple. Just imagine how Satoshi would store his Bitcoin, just do it the original or OG way.

Keeping your system away from malicious websites, pen drives, and the internet will be the best bet in my honest opinion. Good luck!

And yes, use Linux rather than Windows. Take your time out a day or two and understand how Linux OS works. This video from freeCodeCamp will be a great bet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWbUDq4S6Y8
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6270

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2023, 03:31:12 PM

Personally for that much I would go with a colcard https://coldcard.com/ hardware wallet since it supports PSBT https://coldcard.com/docs/glossary#psbt
It never has to connect to a computer and can sign transactions and move them with a SD card from itself to a PC that can transmit.

The PC never has the keys to sign and the hardware wallet never has to connect to an internet connected device.

Not, the easiest way to do it, but it is secure.

As with everything like this DYOR and make sure it will work for you and do what you want the way you want it.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀