Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:59:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming Soon: 5 BTC Casascius Coin  (Read 3205 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 05:51:05 AM

Just thought I would announce I'm going to offer a 5 BTC Casascius Coin.

This will be identical to the 1 BTC coin in every respect, except it will have nickel plating so it's a different color.  (and of course, it will say 5 BITCOINS, and 2012 instead of 2011).  The premium will be pretty much the same.  The weight and diameter will be the same (it's still brass inside).

This product will be offered mainly as a way to acquire low-value Casascius Coins at a low price.  (The price is the same per coin, but as a premium percentage of the Bitcoin value, it's far less).

This also means, in a way, that I've made definite plans to stop producing the original series 1 BTC with the original sticker.  I don't have a series 2 "5 BTC" hologram yet, so I need to save the remainder of that run of holograms for the first 5 BTC coins.  I have about 600 original-series 1 BTC coins left, and when those are sold, I will remove them as an option from my website.

ALSO: I have dropped the price on the "scrap" coin since I have lots of them.  This is the opened coin with no BTC value.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:32:23 AM

Well done. I guess I'll have to buy some of these too.

Any pictures?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:49:04 AM

Well done. I guess I'll have to buy some of these too.

Any pictures?

Sorry, none until I have the coin in hand.  It's probably about a month out.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
btc_artist

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:52:06 AM

Oh okay, that's fine. Thanks!

It would have been nice if they could have been a slightly different size than the 1 BTC coin, just for the fun of it. Maybe slightly smaller? Anyway that's probably not an option at this point.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:56:18 AM

Oh okay, that's fine. Thanks!

It would have been nice if they could have been a slightly different size than the 1 BTC coin, just for the fun of it. Maybe slightly smaller? Anyway that's probably not an option at this point.

I actually could do it slightly smaller... it would probably cost me an extra die charge though for the back side.  And I was hoping for bigger, but that's as big as I can get for the same price point.

btc_artist

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:59:05 AM

I originally thought bigger when I thought a size difference would be nice, but smaller works too, just like the US dime is smaller than lower denomination coins.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 07:15:01 AM

I have the option of a 1.073 inch coin (the other one is 1.125) and this would be a slightly thicker and heavier coin, about 30% thicker.  But it would bring the price up a wee bit since I'd have to have new dies made for both sides, not just one.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:29:00 AM

I would prefer the fatter 5btc coin. 
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:39:48 AM

I have the option of a 1.073 inch coin (the other one is 1.125) and this would be a slightly thicker and heavier coin, about 30% thicker.  But it would bring the price up a wee bit since I'd have to have new dies made for both sides, not just one.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

I'd vote for a different size coin also.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 07:47:16 AM

I vote for keeping the cost down.
It's not like you need to make them distinguishable by feel for visually impaired people - as they've got no way of directly evaluating hologram validity anyway.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 02:10:25 PM

Lowest cost for me.  I like the expanding selection though.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
btc_artist

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 02:46:56 PM

Low cost is good, but if the cost difference is minimal, I'd definitely spring for the different size/thickness/weight for the 5 BTC coin.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:47:51 PM

Good news, I was able to request an increased thickness (and corresponding weight) at no extra charge.  Increase is modest - about 15% - but enough to notice a difference in a stack of them.

btc_artist

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2011, 06:49:02 PM

Good news, I was able to request an increased thickness (and corresponding weight) at no extra charge.  Increase is modest - about 15% - but enough to notice a difference in a stack of them.

Good deal.  They will still be the same diameter as the 1 BTC coins, right?

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 02:27:11 PM

Sounds nice. I like the thicker coin model. How about a combo option with a few 1 BTC coins and one or two 5 BTC coins Wink?

Any plans to change how they are being sold on ebay? I am fine buying them in BTC but others would likely prefer to use services like ebay. I noticed only one 1BTC coin sold recently on ebay and it was second hand (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BITCOIN-real-physical-Brass-Hologram-CASASCIUS-vires-numeris-2011-aocs-norfed-/220914887123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f8da9d3#ht_926wt_905). It sold for $20, more than double what memorydealers are trying to get for them.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 07:54:04 PM

Sounds nice. I like the thicker coin model. How about a combo option with a few 1 BTC coins and one or two 5 BTC coins Wink?

Any plans to change how they are being sold on ebay? I am fine buying them in BTC but others would likely prefer to use services like ebay. I noticed only one 1BTC coin sold recently on ebay and it was second hand (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BITCOIN-real-physical-Brass-Hologram-CASASCIUS-vires-numeris-2011-aocs-norfed-/220914887123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f8da9d3#ht_926wt_905). It sold for $20, more than double what memorydealers are trying to get for them.

Hmm..  Casascius: the gateway to Bitcoin selling on eBay?
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 09:39:07 PM

Oh, it seems I missed out on something. That's cool! A good container coin to buy as physical but stay close to market price, it's exactly what was missing! I'll probably order some when they're out. Smiley
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 09:19:12 PM

This now shows on the order form.  Are there any photos of this?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 02:38:41 PM

Yea, the website really lacks photos... of this one, I can't find any photos at all.
GlooBoy
Copper Member

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

Leave everything to me!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 03:47:26 PM

Here's a pic. I bought a couple of these weeks ago. Very nice job Casascius.

they are definitely silver in color (doesn't show well in pic, or any pic I have) as they are Nickel Plated Brass. Priced Right too..

GLooBoy @ OTC--LBC--BitRated -- GPG ID: A23D510BD6E310D3
Beginner and Expert Level FREE Escrow for All | GiftCards for Crypto -- Cryfter.com from 2012 to 2017
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: