Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:26:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eclipse (Scam Warning to Our Community)  (Read 122 times)
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 938
Merit: 417

Eclipse© Cryptographic equipment

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2023, 12:51:55 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2023, 01:55:10 AM by Eclipse33
Merited by OgNasty (1), SatsLife (1)

Hello Bitcointalk,

I wanted to warn the community about a large uptick in scams of all kinds targeting cryptocurrency users, collectors and traders.

These scams and techniques range from phishing (general) to spearfishing (targeted). They are run by psychopaths, criminals and professional liars.

1. Phishing emails (These emails look like emails coming directly from an exchange or wallet, they contain extensions to malware or websites designed to mimic real websites and steal private keys)

They are getting really good at these emails and some even pass firewalls and spam detection. Remain extremely vigilant. This is an older scam, but still worthy of going over.

2. Fake ebay listings (Listings designed to get you off site and steal your money)

In this case this is a scammer who pirated my images and product listing on eBay who is trying to direct traffic off website. I have seen this scam also done with casascius .10BTC tokens. Be hyper careful. If a deal is too good to be true it most definitely is. Do not deal with people on telegram, they are almost all fraudsters, and you are their next victim.

3. Chargeback fraud (This can be done on anything you sell through eBay, but it is even worse for cryptocurrency users)

In this case, a high positive feedback account reached out to me in an attempt to purchase cryptocurrency directly from me for a higher fee over eBay.

After agreeing to do some transactions with this gentleman (out of a good heart, understanding and relating to his situation). We speak on telegram and decide to do some trades. 2 weeks after the last transaction he disputes every transaction with his payment institution on a friday afternoon (No technical support over the weekend). Leaving me dealing with eBay customer support, my eBay account in jeopardy and potentially out a decent amount of money.

I looked up this gentleman's name (He told me it on telegram, registered a business under it and used it on his linked-in page) Dude is a convicted felon for running a criminal enterprise selling stolen apple merchandise. He was convicted in 2015 and once he got out, he did the same thing again in 2019. A double offender!

This guy profiled me because I had a denarium bitcoin listed for sale and it attracted him like a moth drawn to a lightbulb.  

Do not deal with these idiots, be weary of anyone who reach out to you. They most likely want something from you.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
██████▄█▄██████████▀█████
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
██████████████▄███▄██████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kryptowerk
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
June 05, 2023, 01:51:46 AM

Holy shit.
#1 we are all familiar with (I think) and it should hopefully be the least of threats. Still annoying ofc and a threat to anyone naive or new to this.

#2 It always sucks hard when you suddenly notice some of your photos floating around in a scam attempt.

#3 Is new to me and sounds like a terrible experience. Hopefully you having his full name and criminal record history will help in settling the "dispute" about the funds to your favour with ebay.

Good luck and thanks for the warning.

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.
Eclipse33 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 938
Merit: 417

Eclipse© Cryptographic equipment

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2023, 01:58:31 AM

Holy shit.
#1 we are all familiar with (I think) and it should hopefully be the least of threats. Still annoying ofc and a thread to anyone naive or new to this.

#2 It always sucks hard when you suddenly notice some of your photos floating around in a scam attempt.

#3 Is new to me and sounds like a terrible experience. Hopefully you having his full name and criminal record history will help in settling the "dispute" about the funds to your favour with ebay.

Good luck and thanks for the warning.

The past two to three months I have noticed a massive increase in scam attempts/ fraud attempts. We must remain vigilant and not be easy prey for these psychopaths.

Use escrow, verify who you are doing business with, do not send cryptocurrency unless you know the transaction is absolutely legitimate.

I don't want to see anyone lose their money to these moron crooks.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
Eclipse
)███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
   MARKETPLACE
▀   TELEGRAM
   TWITTER
▀   INSTAGRAM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
███▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████▀█████▄▄
██████████████████████▄
▀████████████████████▀██
██████▄█▄██████████▀█████
███▀▀████████▀█▀███████
██████████████▄███▄██████
████████████████▄███████
██████████▀███████████▀
████████████▀▀█████▀▀
| BTC |
| XMR |
ACCEPTED
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███

███

███

███

███
[/quote]
Kryptowerk
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
June 05, 2023, 02:03:35 AM

Yes indeed, especially email spam, scam and skimming attempts have increased significantly over the last few months. Noticed that myself.
I would actually expect this to increase even more for a while - my guess is a lot of this shit is getting automated with the use of AI right now.

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: