beware of impersonators
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 12:47:30 AM

gday mate. Im in NZ too.

Bitcoin is the obvious choice, and it's a pretty good time to buy in right now, on a long term basis.

you know the network effect? well BTC will be the strongest crypto of all the selection we have with little doubt in a years time. most will have disppeared, perhaps 3-4 will survive and grow. there is no need or good having too many cryptos.

Litecoin is the next best for market cap, but Im not keen on it. one coin to rule them all.

FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 12:50:20 AM

I'd go for Bitcoin or Litecoin - but not today.

Wait until the markets find a bottom you feel comfortable with - so far that bottom hasn't developed. Looking at the technicals, I think I remember this trend may continue and resolve in a few weeks (pending any important, positive news of course - but so far nothing on the horizon I'm aware of).
But we seem to get closer to a bottom every day, personally I still see some ~10-20% more downside easily possible from here.

Buying anything today would seem like catching the proverbial falling knife. You might regret that in less than a week, at least in the short/medium term.
(disclaimer : this is all based only on technicals, which are always very limited in projecting future developments)

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:08:38 AM

In two days there will be a bitcoin meetup in Auckland. You can go there and ask them. You can even buy the coins down there (would probably need a bitcoin app installed on your smartphone). Will save on currency exchange fees. And bank won't be able to report on you to IRD Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:09:19 AM

In two days there will be a bitcoin meetup in Auckland. You can go there and ask them. You can even buy the coins down there (would probably need a bitcoin app installed on your smartphone). Will save on currency exchange fees and bank reporting on you at IRD Smiley

really? where?

Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:11:30 AM

In two days there will be a bitcoin meetup in Auckland. You can go there and ask them. You can even buy the coins down there (would probably need a bitcoin app installed on your smartphone). Will save on currency exchange fees and bank reporting on you at IRD Smiley

really? where?

Ironbank Building, 150 Karangahape Road, Auckland
http://www.meetup.com/Auckland-Bitcoin-Meetup/

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:32:58 AM

Namecoin is one, since it is a real alt coin with a purpose.
Also buy small amounts of many of the older ones which are currently down ~90%.

fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:34:09 AM

J.P. Morgan coin.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
bittawm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:01:15 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2020, 08:32:07 AM by bittawm

xxxx

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
stylin

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:04:59 AM

Some real truth here, not like the shills promoting their coin in this forum. I have a little bit of each of these but I would strongly recommend being very very conservative with your altcoin bets. I don't allow alt-coins to exceed 12% of my total position.

LTC, NMC, and PPC - these are first generation alts and have been around for a while. Of these I like NMC the most, I could really see it exploding in five years or so. People these days don't understand Namecoin... its simplicity is its strength. There's a reason why Atlas (wall st.-backed exchange) is implementing support for only Litecoin and Namecoin (outside of Bitcoin).

VTC - adaptive-N scrypt seems like a good longterm bet.

DOGE - for its community which will probably never stop using it. It's got a black market backing its value as well (dogeroad)

NXT - the first PoS coin, lots of development

NEM - seems like a lot of thought going into this coin

HUC - a solid human-mineable coin.

Currently I am looking to buy in cheap for AUR (maybe a couple months after this airdrop plays out), DRK (good dev, lots of real innovation, low inflation), HIC (X11 algo seems like a smart bet, this is more of a short term play as the market cap for this coin is still small so the upside could be huge).

Remember, any and all of these alts could go to 1 satoshi. When you invest and hold an alt, you need to be prepared to lose it all.

Honorcoin | 100% PoS | 2% Free Distribution
XHC: HEjJZdyJWBjaLH7w12k2nfqAKMEC9h2Lvt
bittawm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:09:16 AM

thanks man, hmmm Im thinking most of it will go on BTC, and maybe a few thou on  a certain altcoin

beware of impersonators
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:24:45 AM

dogeroad?
There is a dirty doggie now?

freebird

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:15:09 AM

The most innovative and legitimate altcoin out there is SolarCoin (SLR). Solar energy producers receive grants of 1 SLR per documented Megawatt-hour of electricity produced. So the currency is backed by something of real economic value and it is intended to help the environment.

The founders of SolarCoin include highly experienced investment bankers: for example, Joseph Zitoli, John Dolan, Nick Gogerty, and Charles Moore. The team also includes scientists, professors, economists, entrepreneurs, etc. This page has links to the CVs of all team members: http://wiki.solarcoin.org/index.php?title=SolarCoin_Volunteers

The official website, SolarCoin.org, includes lots of information including a detailed FAQ.

SolarCoin launched in January and trades on three small exchanges so far. Most of the trading volume is at AllCrypt.com.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 07:44:15 AM

Some real truth here, not like the shills promoting their coin in this forum. I have a little bit of each of these but I would strongly recommend being very very conservative with your altcoin bets. I don't allow alt-coins to exceed 12% of my total position.

LTC, NMC, and PPC - these are first generation alts and have been around for a while. Of these I like NMC the most, I could really see it exploding in five years or so. People these days don't understand Namecoin... its simplicity is its strength. There's a reason why Atlas (wall st.-backed exchange) is implementing support for only Litecoin and Namecoin (outside of Bitcoin).

VTC - adaptive-N scrypt seems like a good longterm bet.

DOGE - for its community which will probably never stop using it. It's got a black market backing its value as well (dogeroad)

NXT - the first PoS coin, lots of development

NEM - seems like a lot of thought going into this coin

HUC - a solid human-mineable coin.

Currently I am looking to buy in cheap for AUR (maybe a couple months after this airdrop plays out), DRK (good dev, lots of real innovation, low inflation), HIC (X11 algo seems like a smart bet, this is more of a short term play as the market cap for this coin is still small so the upside could be huge).

Remember, any and all of these alts could go to 1 satoshi. When you invest and hold an alt, you need to be prepared to lose it all.

(Emphasis mine.)

I agree about Namecoin and Huntercoin. They are not well understood by many people, and the underlying technology there, while still experimental (as are all cryptocurrencies), has many deep and far reaching implications for "real-world" applications.

NMC and HUC have immediate and clear uses beyond being currencies. They have much more going for them than your typical clones/variations. When people begin to understand the technologies better, they will shine much brighter than they do now.

Both NMC and HUC have active development as well.

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:35:14 AM

Only bitcoin, eschew the rest for the moment

Hyena
Legendary

Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 10:36:45 AM

I'd go 50% bitcoin and 50% peercoin. Peercoin has some really nice stuff coming up (peershares). Also proof of stake mining is the true innovation in the crypto coin world.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 11:01:07 AM

I'd go 50% bitcoin and 50% peercoin. Peercoin has some really nice stuff coming up (peershares). Also proof of stake mining is the true innovation in the crypto coin world.

big words, big promises all bullshit. there are alts that had bigger promises now worth 0.5% what they used to be

also no one will buy something called "PEER" terrible branding

bittawm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:08:18 PM

im still left unsure, maybe just stick to the one i know the most bittycoins

beware of impersonators
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:11:08 AM

You could look into getting in on the bottom floor with some of the coins that are being launched IPO style.

There's quite a few NXT offshoots that are either giving stakes away for free or accepting a very small fee. Most of them will go less than nowhere but you might strike it lucky for little or no outlay.
exapted

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:18:02 AM

Zerocash (to be released in May). It will probably be the largest ZKP-based anonymous cryptocurrency.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: