Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:14:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost bitcoins  (Read 824 times)
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 11, 2023, 01:52:55 PM

The lost of customers' coins in Mt. Gox, FTX or any centralized exchanges aren't entirely lost. The coins can still be accessed and spend, the different is just the person who hold the coins. It's like you get hacked, the coins belong to hacker.

Bitcoin is lost from the circulation supply when no one own the private key or not able to access it anymore.

Some people use to store Bitcoin on a cold storage wallet and forget about it for a long time. You'd think the coins are "lost" because they are no longer circulating across the network. There's really no way to tell whenever Bitcoins are lost or dormant. Assuming they're all lost, market prices should be able to rise exponentially over the coming years. Think of it as added deflation.

What's important is that people do the right thing by securing their coins against hacks and/or theft. It's very unlikely to lose funds on a properly-secured Bitcoin wallet. Lost coins or not, Bitcoin will be here to stay for a very long time. Just my thoughts Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
BVeyron

Activity: 1666
Merit: 952

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
August 31, 2023, 04:53:32 PM

I read some old threads about lost Bitcoins ND this question has been on my mind ever since
If the lost Bitcoins were for instance recovered will the price of Bitcoin drop  because in theory it would affect the amount of Bitcoin in circulation which will lower it's price . I saw in those threads that lost Bitcoins are considered a donation to the Bitcoin network. so if my theory is correct then we should be happy those Bitcoins were lost.

Most of the lost accounts will never be recovered, since they are often lost with no trace at all (for instance, a guy created an acc back in 2009, then collected some btc on it, then forgot about the acc and lost all the keys for it). But there are many sleeping accounts, which can resemble lost acs until the owner decides to be active. Such accounts can become a threat for crypto financial system, if adoption goes to far, since their owners can become crypto tycoons dictating the financial game rules, the same thing has happened with the dollar system.

Bushdark

Activity: 896
Merit: 262

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
August 31, 2023, 05:41:44 PM

I read some old threads about lost Bitcoins ND this question has been on my mind ever since
If the lost Bitcoins were for instance recovered will the price of Bitcoin drop  because in theory it would affect the amount of Bitcoin in circulation which will lower it's price . I saw in those threads that lost Bitcoins are considered a donation to the Bitcoin network. so if my theory is correct then we should be happy those Bitcoins were lost.

Most of the lost accounts will never be recovered, since they are often lost with no trace at all (for instance, a guy created an acc back in 2009, then collected some btc on it, then forgot about the acc and lost all the keys for it). But there are many sleeping accounts, which can resemble lost acs until the owner decides to be active. Such accounts can become a threat for crypto financial system, if adoption goes to far, since their owners can become crypto tycoons dictating the financial game rules, the same thing has happened with the dollar system.
This is one of the disadvantage of Bitcoin or the general cryptocurrency. It can not be easily transferred to generations and once the seed phrase is lost, everything about our cryptocurrency assets is lost for ever and it can not be reclaimed again. Bitcoin is good to invest in but we need understand the disadvantage before putting our money into it or else we are going to make loses that is inevitable. The lost Bitcoin are nit still accessible till now and the owners have nothing to do about it since they don't have access to the seed phrase.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
MinoRaiola
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1592

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2023, 07:14:06 PM

A donation to the network, it is a beautiful statement, but it will not always the truth. So a bitcoiner should make a hard decision to "destroy" his bitcoins, because he knows they are limited. Just think about it and you come in a short time to the thought "no I do not". so a donation is very nice to say, but I believe it in very few cases. There is for example this address here, recently weéder bitcoin arrived with the designation "Mt Gox Hacker": https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1FeexV6bAHb8ybZjqQMjJrcCrHGW9sb6uF

██
█████▀▀███████▀▀███████
█████▀░░▄███████▄░░▀█████
██▀░░██████▀░▀████░░▀██
██▀░░▀▀▀████████████░░▀██
██░░█▄████▀▀███▀█████░░██
██░░███▄▄███████▀▀███░░██
██░░█████████████████░░██
██▄░░████▄▄██████▄▄█░░▄██
██▄░░██████▄░░████░░▄██
█████▄░░▀███▌░░▐▀░░▄█████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
.ROOBET 2.0..██████.IIIIIFASTER & SLEEKER.██████.
|

█▄█
▀█▀
████▄▄██████▄▄████
█▄███▀█░░█████░░█▀███▄█
▀█▄▄░▐█████████▌▄▄█▀
██▄▄█████████▄▄████▌
██████▄▄████████
█▀▀████████████████
██████
█████████████
██
█▀▀██████████████
▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
    PLAY NOW    
Smeet

Activity: 45
Merit: 10

its me

View Profile
August 31, 2023, 07:31:12 PM

If the lost Bitcoins were for instance recovered will the price of Bitcoin drop  because in theory it would affect the amount of Bitcoin in circulation which will lower it's price . I saw in those threads that lost Bitcoins are considered a donation to the Bitcoin network. so if my theory is correct then we should be happy those Bitcoins were lost.
If Bitcoin wallet addresses are lost, the Bitcoins associated with those addresses essentially become inaccessible. This is because Bitcoin transactions and ownership are tied to the private keys that correspond to the wallet addresses. Without the private key, it's impossible to access or spend the Bitcoins associated with a particular wallet address. So, if someone loses their private key or the information needed to access their wallet, those Bitcoins are effectively lost.

However, it's important to note that lost Bitcoins do not directly affect the overall supply of Bitcoin in the market. The total supply of Bitcoin is capped at 21 million coins, and this cap will not change due to lost Bitcoins. What can happen, though, is that the reduced effective supply due to lost coins might create a perception of scarcity and potentially influence market sentiment. If a significant number of Bitcoins are lost and cannot be accessed, we can argue that the scarcity could increase the value of the remaining accessible Bitcoins over the long term, as they become relatively scarcer compared to the fixed supply.
Onyeeze

Activity: 518
Merit: 166

View Profile
August 31, 2023, 09:19:35 PM

Their is some certain things i do consider in any investment, what comes to my mind when investment of Bitcoin come in, is that you have to understand that bitcoin investment have to do with risk and when you have not make up your mind to say bitcoin investment is all about  risk that means you have not started in bitcoin investment, the lost they are telling for bitcoin investment is all about when you are losing in bitcoin and if you invest when you are not invest in bitcoin, so this one of things I know that happens in bitcoin investment also,lose is what every investment person do experience

panganib999

Activity: 1736
Merit: 589

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2023, 09:28:18 PM

For the most part, no. The thing about bitcoin is that, no price point is for certain until you act upon it. With that in mind this means that should you find your lost bitcoins or gain access to them somehow after years of not being able to do so, the only time that you could affect bitcoin's price if the sale was sudden, like a couple of hours or days in between, and the amount of bitcoin you sold's high enough that it causes panic within the industry. Usually not even a few thousand bitcoins being transferred from addresses to addresses cause bitcoin's price to drop, so I'm not so sure how much bitcoins you would really need to sell in order to insinuate a price dump.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: