Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:07:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweep/import private key feature request  (Read 10245 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 10:51:24 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 11:13:56 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I assume a redeemed phone card can never have funds placed in it again.  If I were to publish an address for payment, then sweep the private key to get the funds, who is to say that someone will never send funds to that (published) address again?

Why would you do that?

If the private key is INSECURE why would you publish it for future payments?
If the private key is SECURE why do you need to sweep it (just import it as a "full trust" private key)?

We are talking about a key that is simultaneously insecure and published for future payment. The question would be why?  It would be like me selling you a partially used prepaid phone card (the pincode has been scratched off).   You have no security.  While you may use it for the current phone call (and thus end our risk) it is another thing to think you would save that phone card so you can recharge it later (put future funds at risk).  Just buy a new phone card. 

An example in case I am being unclear:
I owe you 20 BTC.  I fund a private key w/ 20 BTC, print it out and give it to you.  This being an unsecure private key you sweep it, and throw the private key away.  One use, never use it again like a spent gift card or prepaid phone card.  Your risk is limited to the current transaction (like any unverified transaction).    The same day you decide to make a donation address.  You take a DIFFERENT SECURE address generated by your wallet and publish that one.  By throwing away the insecure address and using secure addresses for publishing you ensure the wallet remains secure not just now but in the future as well.

You seem to indicate you would do this instead:
I owe you 20 BTC.  I fund a private key w/ 20 BTC, print it out and give it to you.  I know the private key and can steal funds from it at anytime.  Despite the very obvious security risk, you generate a public Bitcoin address from the insecure key and decide to publish this one as a donation address.  You now have no security.  Any future funds sent to that address can be stolen at will.

Can you imagine a realistic scenario where someone would take an insecure private key, generate a public address from it, publish that so there may be future funds coming in and then sweep it, and need to keep track of that insecure private key into perpetuity?  Is it common enough to build that functionality into a wallet?  Is it something we want to support and encourage?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:03:19 PM

btc_artist, what if the client maintained a wallet.dat and untrusted.dat? The coins in untrusted.dat would never appear in the client balance. A menu option would allow for 'Sweep Untrusted Keys'. An opt-in automatic asynchronous process could sweep periodically. If you wanted to interact with the keys directly, you could simply backup and rename untrusted.dat.

If the private key is INSECURE why would you publish it for future payments?

It IS published in the block chain. Who knows where else it may exist in print.

We are talking about a key that is both insecure and you intend to use for future payment.  The question would be why?

I think you are putting too much emphasis on 'insecure'. In PGP parlance, it would only not be ULTIMATELY trusted.

Let us not be limited to use cases we can currently imagine.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:09:49 PM

I think you are putting too much emphasis on 'insecure'. In PGP parlance, it would only not be ULTIMATELY trusted.

Let us not be limited to use cases we can currently imagine.

Not even close.  A private key someone else has access to is ABSOLUTELY INSECURE.  Period.  It has absolutely no security value what so ever.  Funds can be stolen at will and that action would be anonymous, impossible to prove, and irrevocable. 

To avoid theft, or fraud you are simply trusting the person(s) who had access to the key won't choose to rob you.  They might but it won't be due to any cryptographic strength.
netrin

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:12:52 PM

Can you imagine a realistic scenario where someone would take an insecure private key, generate a public address from it, publish that so there may be future funds coming in and then sweep it, and need to keep track of that insecure private key into perpetuity?  Is it common enough to build that functionality into a wallet?  Is it something we want to support and encourage?

If something is a security risk, or it's a pain in the ass to code without any immediate benefit, that's fair, but I do not like the question "Is it something we want to support and encourage?"

Rather than the recipient republishing an address received from an unknown untrusted entity, you could vaguely imagine cases where trusted (but potentially incompetent) users share some fund. Suppose my girlfriend and I have a bake sale and share an address, either one of us could sweep the keys. Of course there may be better ways to handle this particular instance, but I only use it as an example legitimate case.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:19:58 PM

Rather than the recipient republishing an address received from an unknown untrusted entity, you could vaguely imagine cases where trusted (but potentially incompetent) users share some fund. Suppose my girlfriend and I have a bake sale and share an address, either one of us could sweep the keys. Of course there may be better ways to handle this particular instance, but I only use it as an example legitimate case.

That would be insecure.  While you could do that if the wallet didn't make it easy to do so you likely wouldn't and thus would choose some mechanism that is secure. 

In essence the user is incorrectly trusting a key which shouldn't be trusted.   Since the user doesn't realize the risk wouldn't he simply IMPORT it

Trusted Key = IMPORT
Untrusted Key = SWEEP

Granted that would be bad too but not much worse and maybe a warning on the import option makes him pick a more secure way to handle payments.
netrin

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 11:25:46 PM

I've generated multiple wallets over the year, created on different machines, with different client versions, with different levels of trust. I've transfered those funds to my latest and greatest secure wallets, but every once in a while I go through this corpus of wallets looking for coins. I have no specific reason not to trust those old keys, but for example, one was made on a Windows machine at work when I was very new to bitcoin. It doesn't have the same level of security in my mind as my wallet on an offline private Linux box.

I will likely import and merge all of my old wallets into a single untrusted/old wallet. But it really should not be difficult to continually sweep those keys. I think it's a reasonable use case, with a relaxed definition of 'insecure'.

Since the user doesn't realize the risk wouldn't he simply IMPORT it ... Granted that would be bad too but not much worse and maybe a warning on the import option makes him pick a more secure way to handle payments.

You are taking my 'off the top of my head' example too far. But yet you admit the problem of social engineering through code. You can't prevent users from doing what they want. You should give them tools they don't need to break, but might learn to understand.

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 12:41:10 AM

I owe you 20 BTC.  I fund a private key w/ 20 BTC, print it out and give it to you.  I know the private key and can steal funds from it at anytime.  Despite the very obvious security risk, you generate a public Bitcoin address from the insecure key and decide to publish this one as a donation address.  You now have no security.  Any future funds sent to that address can be stolen at will.
What if I sweep the private key and transfer my 20 BTC, at a later date you assume you can send me an additional payment using the same public address as before, but I no longer have the private key? Of course, YOU personally wouldn't do this, but people might.  This is why I'd like to keep the insecure private keys around to check/resweep them at a later date, if necessary.

Can you imagine a realistic scenario where someone would take an insecure private key, generate a public address from it, publish that so there may be future funds coming in and then sweep it, and need to keep track of that insecure private key into perpetuity?  Is it common enough to build that functionality into a wallet?  Is it something we want to support and encourage?
Easy.  I generate a (secure) vanity address to receive donations.  I publish the address all over the place and people start donating to it.  I then inadvertantly/unthinkingly/stupidly email the private key as plain text to myself for whatever reason.  The private key is now no longer secure, but I would still like to keep sweeping it to get any additional funds sent to it.  Even if I change my public donation address, it is cached all over the place and people have it saved, etc, so I will keep receiving donations there for some time or even indefinitely. 

Emailing the private key as plain text is only one example. What if the computer storing your unencrypted wallet.dat gets a virus/trojan?  What if the computer gets stolen?  I know you and I would never mail a plain text private key, not would we ever get viruses (we're careful, after all), but there are dozens of scenarios where the secure private keys that correspond to public keys that may continue to receive funds could become compromised and fall into the "insecure" private key category.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 12:46:56 AM

Trusted Key = IMPORT
Untrusted Key = SWEEP
Agreed.  But for above-mentioned reasons, all keys that have been swept should be kept hidden in an advanced interface somewhere, where you can periodically (or automatically) check and see if funds have been added to any of them.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 12:53:47 AM

Trusted Key = IMPORT
Untrusted Key = SWEEP
Agreed.  But for above-mentioned reasons, all keys that have been swept should be kept hidden in an advanced interface somewhere, where you can periodically (or automatically) check and see if funds have been added to any of them.

+1 sounds nice

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 01:43:10 AM

Trusted Key = IMPORT
Untrusted Key = SWEEP

That makes sense.

I could see auto-sweep web services being an alternative solution.  You provide a webservice one or more private keys and a public address from a secure wallet.  The service could continually auto-sweep funds for a small fee. Granted there is an element of trust but given that any theft would be obvious and at any time the service would only have access to funds in transit the risk is less than say an ewallet.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 02:28:53 AM

Trusted Key = IMPORT
Untrusted Key = SWEEP
Doesn't this just need a flag on an address that indicates whether it should be swept periodically (starting with right now)? You should be able to tag any address with this flag as it's probably useful for various situations. I could see the flag having a minimum value. In fact, simply a "sweep when" value attached to each address would do. When zero it has no effect but above zero it sweeps if funds arrive/accumulate. Maybe you set this threshold when you import according to how you created and will use that key.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 01:00:22 AM

If you're an uber-geek and know what you're doing, then you should use geeky, dangerous tools like PyWallet to do what you want to do.

This.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 09:02:31 AM

Just in case anyone here did not see the new Armory client or note its features. It includes a pretty nifty sweep/import feature.
thread here; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.0

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 09:26:05 PM

Just in case anyone here did not see the new Armory client or note its features. It includes a pretty nifty sweep/import feature.
thread here; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.0

Indeed.  I'm just about to do a testing release, which has most of the Armory feature list implemented -- including address sweeping and importing.  In fact, the design of that dialog was based on this thread!  I had to disable zero-confirmation transactions until I have time to put in the "correct" solution, but just about everything else is working, or at least usable.  

I've already pulled in a bunch of VanityGen addresses and use it to manage donations.  Then I used the key-backup dialog to print out a list of imported keys onto a single sheet of paper, and tucked away in a safe place so I can never lose them.  

And yes, it supports mini-private key format, and the Base58 private key format [0x80 + 32-byte-priv-key + 4-byte-chksum], as well as raw hex dumps of private keys, and it even makes sure the private key is in the right endianness (assuming you know what the Base58 address is supposed to look like)!  

Now that offline transactions are working, I'll be releasing build-instructions shortly!

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 12:19:28 AM

Can't wait til a granny-safe version of this is ready!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:34:08 AM

Can't wait til a granny-safe version of this is ready!

don't forget to make some air holes in your granny safe.

i'm really looking forward to easy-to-use wallet merging software, so i can organise a ton of wallet backups that are from all over the place and from all different dates... a mess. Consolidate the keys into 1 or 2 wallets and shred the rest.

armory sounds interesting, but i'm put off by the fact that the wallet file is not compatible with the satoshi client.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 02:15:29 AM

armory sounds interesting, but i'm put off by the fact that the wallet file is not compatible with the satoshi client.
The satoshi client's wallet is not the best and incompatibility with it shouldn't be viewed as a negative IMO. It will hopefully soon be simple enough to export your keys from your old wallets and then import them into your new wallet.  You won't actually care what the wallet format is since you are moving around private keys.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:20:47 AM

The satoshi client's wallet is not the best and compatibility with it shouldn't be viewed as a negative IMO.

is that good or bad? does not compute.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 02:22:27 AM

The satoshi client's wallet is not the best and incompatibility with it shouldn't be viewed as a negative IMO.

is that good or bad? does not compute.

EDIT: added an "in" to compatibility. Oops

Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:35:58 AM

I was really looking forward to the import feature in bitcoind (don't care about sweep). Too bad the developers decided to be nanny for us.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: