Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:48:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HASH function  (Read 88 times)
Light1992 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2023, 12:53:13 AM

Hi
Please guys,what type of hash functions is used when there is a variable number of items to be hashed,such as the many state changes in a block?
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MusaMohamed

Activity: 896
Merit: 290

View Profile
July 20, 2023, 02:30:10 AM
Merited by ImThour (1)

In Bitcoin, hash functions are used for transactions, block hashes and addresses. Two hash functions used in Bitcoin are Hash SHA-256 and Hash RIPEMD-160.

Hash function for dummies
Hash function for beginners
A quick guide on `How the hash of Bitcoin block is calculated?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRADE NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Zaguru12

Activity: 686
Merit: 870

View Profile
July 20, 2023, 05:09:26 AM

Hi
Please guys,what type of hash functions is used when there is a variable number of items to be hashed,such as the many state changes in a block?

A Merkle tree or hash tree which totals all the various number of hashes. https://www.includehelp.com/mcq/what-type-of-hash-function-is-used-when-there-is-a-variable-number-of-items-to%20be.aspx

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Jon_Hodl

Activity: 218
Merit: 93

Humble Bitcoin Stacktivist

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2023, 09:43:19 PM

In Bitcoin, hash functions are used for transactions, block hashes and addresses. Two hash functions used in Bitcoin are Hash SHA-256 and Hash RIPEMD-160.

Hash function for dummies
Hash function for beginners
A quick guide on `How the hash of Bitcoin block is calculated?

He nailed it right on the head. I have been using this tool (https://sha256algorithm.com/) to better understand how it works at a more technical level but it takes time. This tool enables you to hash anything and walk through each and every step to fully understand what happens at each and every step. I have also been lucky enough to have one of the cryptographers at a local meetup help me to understand things but it's an uphill battle.

I'm here to chew bubblegum and stack sats....and I'm all out of bubblegum. - Learn More About Bitcoin: What Is Bitcoin?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: