Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:02:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasabi or Samourai ?  (Read 465 times)
Bitcoiner2023 (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 32

View Profile
August 01, 2023, 11:53:18 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4)

Running your own coordinator is a different question to connecting to your own node. But given there are zero third party coordinators with any volume, and given both JoinMarket and Whirlpool both have good volume, then as you say - why would anyone bother?
Thank you, will definitely not use Wasabi, thought it would look different with your own node.

Isn't there a risk that Whirlpool and JoinMarket will come under the same pressure from the government as Wasabi did?

Sparrow & Samourai Whirlpool share the same coordinator right?
Does JoinMarket have its own coordinator or is it the same as Sparrow and Samourai's Whirlpool?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
August 01, 2023, 02:25:46 PM
Merited by Bitcoiner2023 (1)

Isn't there a risk that Whirlpool and JoinMarket will come under the same pressure from the government as Wasabi did?
Sort of. With Samourai, yes, although their team are so vehemently opposed to surveillance I'd be very surprised if they capitulated, and they are also working on a decentralized coordinator which would bypass any such pressure. With JoinMarket, not really since there already is no centralized coordinator.

It's also worth pointing out that at present there are no government laws or regulations which forced Wasabi to surveil and censor their users. Wasabi admitted they are doing it voluntarily and preemptively.

Sparrow & Samourai Whirlpool share the same coordinator right?
Yes.

Does JoinMarket have its own coordinator or is it the same as Sparrow and Samourai's Whirlpool?
No. Each JoinMarket user runs the software themselves and coordinates their own coinjoins if they are the taker.
Bitcoiner2023 (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 32

View Profile
August 01, 2023, 06:26:27 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2023, 06:37:42 PM by Bitcoiner2023

Wasabi admitted they are doing it voluntarily and preemptively.
Why are they doing this voluntarily?
I think they received a silent post like Truecrypt did, but Truecrypt decided to stop the project instead of installing a backdoor.
I can't give any other explanation why Wasabi does something like that.

I think Lightning would also be a good alternative, if you have your channels on private.
From Layer1 to Layer2 then from Chanel-A to Chanel-B from Chanel-B to Chanel-C and from Chanel-C to Layer1.

About JoinMarket:
It is extremely time-consuming and complicated, I hope they simplify it in this bull market, it has to be more user-friendly

And Samourai should release a desktop version without needing any mobile app for it.
But well, there is Sparrow.

Thank u and best regards
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
August 02, 2023, 05:25:21 AM

Why are they doing this voluntarily?
Because they want to protect their income stream against future regulations. So they chose to preemptively sell out their users rather than go down a more difficult route which might affect their profits.

I think they received a silent post like Truecrypt did, but Truecrypt decided to stop the project instead of installing a backdoor.
Which is what Wasabi should have done if they actually care about privacy in any way. They don't. They care about making money.

About JoinMarket:
It is extremely time-consuming and complicated, I hope they simplify it in this bull market, it has to be more user-friendly
I agree, and I've spoken about this before. JoinMarket, although great, simply isn't suitable for the majority of users as it is too complicated to set up. There is a great UI for JoinMarket called Jam (https://jamdocs.org/) which makes using JoinMarket easier, but the installation process is still not straightforward.

And Samourai should release a desktop version without needing any mobile app for it.
But well, there is Sparrow.
Yeah, Sparrow is a great piece of software.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: