Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:46:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In which direction do you think blockchain should evolve?  (Read 22 times)
j1792 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 08, 2023, 03:54:10 PM

Let me talk about my point of view first.

In my opinion, the blockchain has been explored in the following directions:
1. Smart contracts, such as ETH
2. Higher performance is obtained through POS, but at the same time, the decentralization feature is weakened
3. Privacy, such as Monero
4. Stable coins to realize value binding with legal currency

In my opinion, the above four attempts are very valuable, but not all of them represent the evolution direction of the blockchain.
For example, POS, weakening the decentralization feature in order to obtain higher performance is completely against the spirit of the blockchain.
Stable coins still rely on fiat currency, which is more like a compromise and temporary solution when the value of decentralized digital currencies such as BTC is still unstable.
Smart contracts are considered by many to be blockchain 2.0, but I don't think so. Smart contracts cannot constrain off-chain data, which limits the practical application of smart contracts. For example, a decentralized exchange based on ETH smart contracts, when we want to withdraw or deposit non-ERC-20 tokens such as BTC, we still need a centralized organization. Another example, when we want to do product traceability based on smart contracts, we will also encounter the problem of requiring a centralized organization (usually the producer of the product) to write product data into the blockchain. This reliance on centralized organizations has essentially destroyed the decentralized nature of the blockchain, and is no more trustworthy than relying directly on centralized organizations.
But unlike the above three, I think the privacy feature is a correct evolution direction of the blockchain.

In Satoshi Nakamoto's original vision, the blockchain should be able to become "A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System". Many people also think that we will use blockchain-based payment systems in our daily transactions. But I think that blockchain-based digital token is more likely to play the role of base currency and payment method for large transactions. Blockchain will not replace the existing electronic payment system, nor can it replace commercial banks. It should replace central banks, such as the Federal Reserve. If we hold this point of view, we will find that performance is not the bottleneck of the blockchain, and the existing performance can fully meet the demand.

The above is my personal opinion, and I want to know what you think.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: