Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:01:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metamask - Ledger Technical Question  (Read 75 times)
night_driver (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 22, 2023, 09:11:55 PM
Merited by Apocollapse (1)

Hello Everyone,

First of all i'm sorry because my question is a bit related to Ethereum but not only Smiley

I have a Ledger and the other day i tried to buy some token from the Gnosis Chain to be sent directly to my Ledger (from the RealT website if someone knows).
Gnosis Chain is sidechain from Ethereum.

The Gnosis Chain is not supported by Ledger for the moment so when i tried to link my Ethereum address to the website i received an error (because the website checked that the wallet is connected to Gnosis Chain network)

So for the moment is quiet normal i would like to say !

To bypass this i found a solution :
  • 1. Create a Metamask wallet
  • 2. Import my Ledger into Metamask
  • 3. Add the blockchain network Gnosis Chain in Metamask
  • 4. Select the Gnosis Chain just added to be active

After i can now add the metamask address where my Ledger Ethereum adress is presents (because i just imported it) and this seems to work (the website accept this).
(The ETH address doesn't change. It still the same when the website refused it above)

My questions are :

• 1. How Metamask can send token to a ledger address that normally is not supported by Ledger ?
  • 2. How Ledger can receive theses tokens if it's supposed to not support this blockchain ?

If i was not clear don't hesitate to ask me more informations.

Thank you guys !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2023, 09:42:19 PM

The safe option is to look for a wallet that supports the chain and store it there. Ledger cannot hold coins which belongs to a chain that's not recognized by it and when storing you have to be absolutely dureof the wallet you use.

First of all i'm sorry because my question is a bit related to Ethereum but not only Smiley
Then move it to altcoin discussion. The option to do so is at the bottom right of this page.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
August 23, 2023, 07:19:45 AM

After i can now add the metamask address where my Ledger Ethereum adress is presents (because i just imported it)

Just to make sure, are you connecting your Ledger With Metamask or are you importing the Ledger's seed phrase to MetaMask?

1. How Metamask can send token to a ledger address that normally is not supported by Ledger ?

If you use/connect MetaMask with Ledger, MetaMask is just the one who manages the interaction between web3 services/platforms with your account/address. So Ledger or any hardware wallet just functioned as an approver who processes the interaction with the address private keys, things like signing messages, sending funds, and interacting with smart contracts.

Since Ledger Live does not as flexible as MetaMask, some functionality is not available.

2. How Ledger can receive theses tokens if it's supposed to not support this blockchain ?

Ledger Live won't show it, but the hardware wallet itself received the tokens.
night_driver (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2023, 10:32:16 AM

After i can now add the metamask address where my Ledger Ethereum adress is presents (because i just imported it)

Just to make sure, are you connecting your Ledger With Metamask or are you importing the Ledger's seed phrase to MetaMask?

Thank you guys for both feedback.

So i connected my ledger with the USB but didn't import my seed phrase.

Ledger Live won't show it, but the hardware wallet itself received the tokens.

Ok so that means even if Ledge Live doesn't support a blockchain i can still send it to the ledger. But i imagine depending of the blockchain i can lost some cryptos ? If the case, there is a way to know which cryptos i can send to the Ledger even it's not supported without the risk to lost the cryptos ?

vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
August 23, 2023, 01:41:56 PM

Ok so that means even if Ledge Live doesn't support a blockchain i can still send it to the ledger. But i imagine depending of the blockchain i can lost some cryptos ? If the case, there is a way to know which cryptos i can send to the Ledger even it's not supported without the risk to lost the cryptos ?

Yes.

Technically, as long as the token uses a standard implementation, for example, Gnosis Chain, which uses the same structure as Ethereum(EVM), even if the Hardware Wallet application itself does not support it, if you send it to the ledger ETH address, it still able to be used. The caveat is, that you need to use a supported wallet for that particular chain and connect the Ledger to that wallet.

To see information about what cryptocurrencies your hardware wallet supports refer to: https://www.ledger.com/supported-crypto-assets.
night_driver (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2023, 07:30:18 PM

Thank you very much for all explanations. It's very clear.

I have a better vision now how it's works !

Cheers guys !!  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: