Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:05:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use Cup and Handle Pattern  (Read 99 times)
thecryptogandalf (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 21

View Profile
August 30, 2023, 02:51:55 PM

Chart patterns, when used with technical indicators, help traders understand the market better. These patterns are like important tools for traders. I've summarized another article about a pattern called Cup and Handle Pattern. You can read it here to learn about this pattern and other types too.

What is a Cup and Handle Chart Pattern?

The Cup and Handle pattern takes shape as the price of an asset forms a gradual U-shaped structure resembling a cup. Following the cup's apex, there's a sideways or slightly downward movement, forming the handle. While exact symmetry in the highs of both sides is rare, closer alignment enhances the pattern's desirability. After the cup's peak, a pullback shapes the handle, creating a consolidation phase before a potential breakout. Successful completion of the pattern involves the price surpassing the handle's trendline, leading to new highs.

Cup and Handle Pattern: Continuation or Reversal?

Primarily manifesting during uptrends, the Cup and Handle pattern signifies a consolidation phase before price resumption, categorizing it as a continuation pattern. A breakout from the handle's trading range signifies a continuation of the previous trend. However, reversals are rare instances, and they exhibit lower performance compared to continuation scenarios. Thomas Bulkowski's research ranks the Cup and Handle pattern 3rd out of 39 chart patterns based on overall performance.

Identifying a Solid Cup and Handle Chart Pattern

Effectively identifying the Cup and Handle pattern necessitates understanding its defining characteristics. It begins with a downward price movement followed by a period of stability. An upward price trend matching the initial decline forms the cup, while the handle emerges as the price moves sideways and slightly downward. If the handle's decline extends beyond half of the U-shaped cup, the pattern loses validity. U-shaped cups are ideal, as opposed to V-shaped formations. A well-rounded cup bottom enhances the pattern's strength. Entry signals occur when the price breaks out on the cup's right side with substantial volume.

Target and Stop Loss Placement

Determining target and stop loss levels involves measuring the cup's bottom height and placing the target above the breakout point. The stop loss can be positioned below the handle's low.

Cup and Handle Pattern's Pullback/Throwback Rate

Thomas Bulkowski's research indicates that the Cup and Handle pattern often experiences a significant pullback or throwback rate. Roughly 6 out of 10 times, the price retraces to either the breakout point or the pattern's apex.

In conclusion, the Cup and Handle Chart Pattern offers traders a valuable tool for identifying potential continuation trends within a larger price movement. Recognizing its formation, understanding its characteristics, and applying appropriate strategies can contribute to successful trading outcomes.

How to Trade a Cup and Handle Pattern Automatically?

To use Cup and Handle Pattern in your automated trading strategy, you can identify the pattern on the cleo.finance chart and use the pattern's lines as your automated entry and exit conditions, along with your stop losses and take profits. Then automate it. You also have the option to backtest the strategy using a manual backtester on the chart equipped with drawing tools. This allows you to simulate the Cup and Handle Pattern on the chart and assess its effectiveness. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Richkiedx

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 02:44:35 PM

Cup and Handle is a price pattern that occurs during an uptrend of the market. As its name, this pattern consists of 2 parts. They are the cup and handle.

And how to use it first of all if see see this kind of pattern .. wait to break the resistance and entry for pullback

https://howtotradeblog.com/cup-and-handle-pattern/
palle11

Activity: 2310
Merit: 332

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 04:47:06 PM

What you are explaining about cup pattern is another way to track support and resistance levels and that is a good lecture. For a trader who understands how support and resistance work they won't have issue to understand your points on the cup pattern. One thing that is important to take home from your post is the stop loss application using the cup breakout pattern for the resistance and support likewise.
Bananington

Activity: 1414
Merit: 344

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 07:29:33 PM

Chart patterns, when used with technical indicators, help traders understand the market better. These patterns are like important tools for traders. I've summarized another article about a pattern called Cup and Handle Pattern. You can read it here to learn about this pattern and other types too.

What is a Cup and Handle Chart Pattern?
The cup and handle pattern is just one of the many patterns that traders can look out for when charting. Patterns in charts help a trader to observe movements that have the probability to repeat itself. If it is convenient for you, Cup and Handle pattern can be a good pattern to really understand. If you can focus on mastering spotting this pattern in charts, you will be able to make better analysis. Mastering a few patterns and looking out for them is better than looking for all the patterns in a chart to set your trade.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Hamphser

Activity: 2478
Merit: 325

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 09:59:27 PM

Adding up to be that a bit interesting to watch about cup and handle patter which is really a bullish sentiment.

It wont really be that bad on trying to have some peek with these vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLNa9De1hIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fks0Pto84

Im not really that a fan when it comes to technical aspects but you cant really deny the fact that this market doesnt always have a news or events which you could make use as a fundamental analysis
and this is why you would really be sticking and considering on reading up technicals which is really that highly recommendable.

It is really just that dont make yourself that easily believe that it would really be giving out that outmost precise thing because
the market could easily fucked you up.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
jeraldskie11

Activity: 1260
Merit: 356

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 11:48:47 PM

Chart patterns, when used with technical indicators, help traders understand the market better
These pattern is one of the most rarely pattern to be seen in the market because most of the pattern we see are double bottom, head and shoulder, wedge, and triangle. These is a very old strategy in trading but still working because lot of traders are still using these patterns. However, since the pattern was so common nowadays, smartmoney are also aware of it, that's why we have to add more confluence such as RSI and Volume indicators to increase the probability that the price will go to the expected direction.
SquirrelJulietGarden

Activity: 1316
Merit: 726

View Profile
September 03, 2023, 02:23:31 AM

Most of patterns fail so don't trust patterns.

Together with Cup and Handle pattern, we also have Inverse Cup & Handle pattern. They are sibling patterns and must be mentioned together.

@TechCharts had some videos about chart patterns including Cup & Handle pattern. If you have time to scroll down his tweet history, you will find some insightful educational videos.

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
September 03, 2023, 04:07:32 AM

I tried to use this pattern in the past and never had success. What you posted is basically in hindsight and it worked out.  But try this pattern in real time and you will basically see that it difficult to apply.

You are just better off longer when it break from that top pivot instead of buying before the break and assuming it’s a cup and handle pattern because many times it’s just a double top and heads back down.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Cryptoababe

Activity: 700
Merit: 18

Do it For Better Humanity

View Profile
September 03, 2023, 12:09:56 PM

This is my first time seeing cup and handle pattern. I will keep looking for this in charts now
so98nn

Activity: 2086
Merit: 603

View Profile
September 03, 2023, 12:21:04 PM

That’s good to know and learn however I never understood how this can help us in the future predictions. Or this is not for the price prediction at all? I always wonder how the charts are that much relevant when analysis the future prices. For example, how would I know what scale to look at when I am plotting the so called cup and handle type of pattern or basically any type of patterns?

If someone want to convince this then has anyone tried plotting the said pattern on the old data and that resulted in predicting the correct future pattern?

For example, for demonstrations purpose or learning purpose has anyone ever tried this on old data? Does it work?
Franctoshi

Activity: 798
Merit: 546

View Profile
September 03, 2023, 01:31:59 PM

I tried to use this pattern in the past and never had success. What you posted is basically in hindsight and it worked out.  But try this pattern in real time and you will see that it is difficult to apply.

You are just better off longer when it breaks from that top pivot instead of buying before the break and assuming it’s a cup and handle pattern because many times it’s just a double top and heads back down.
The cup and handle pattern is usually very difficult to spot from the chart and also suggests that the trend is going to be long, and it doesn't appear frequently on the chart, I never use it either but I have read about this chart pattern, I would classify cup and handle pattern in the same category as the Diamond pattern that rarely form in a trend. Most times I have spotted it in a chart, it never played out completely.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1506

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2023, 01:47:26 PM

Most of patterns fail so don't trust patterns.

LMAO

Together with Cup and Handle pattern, we also have Inverse Cup & Handle pattern. They are sibling patterns and must be mentioned together.

@TechCharts had some videos about chart patterns including Cup & Handle pattern. If you have time to scroll down his tweet history, you will find some insightful educational videos.

The problem with statistics is that they work until they stop working. And when I say statistics I also refer to this type of chart patterns, which are nothing more than rational reconstructions of the past that presuppose that in the future when something similar will happen, the pattern will happen again.

The problem is that the lines drawn, just like the series, can be followed in an infinite number of possible ways. Some seem more logical or probable than others, until we observe what is called a break in the pattern.

So no, I wouldn't trust these supposed patterns to gamble my money either.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: