Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:02:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Unraveling the Bitmain Antminer X5: A Deep Dive into the New Monero Mine  (Read 289 times)
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 400
Merit: 56

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2023, 05:24:56 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2023, 02:59:56 PM by mineshop.eu
Merited by FP91G (1)

Cryptocurrency mining has always been a dynamic industry. With advancements in technology and the constant evolution of cryptocurrencies, the mining landscape has seen its fair share of changes. Today, we’re going to dissect Bitmain’s latest offering to the mining community, the Antminer X5.

Bitmain’s Mysterious Choice: The Antminer X5
When you think of Bitmain, the picture that comes to mind is a lineup of powerful ASIC miners optimized for various cryptocurrencies. However, with the announcement of the Antminer X5, eyebrows were raised. This machine is branded as a Monero (XMR) miner. But why?

Monero’s history with mining is well-documented. The cryptocurrency has constantly evolved its mining algorithm to resist ASICs, ensuring a level playing field for all miners. This commitment to ASIC resistance is one of the reasons why many have been intrigued by Bitmain’s decision to release an XMR miner. If the Antminer X5 is a true ASIC miner, Monero’s developers might opt for another algorithm fork to negate its advantages. However, there’s an alternate theory that’s equally intriguing.

Is the Antminer X5 a CPU Miner?
Here’s where the plot thickens. The crypto community is buzzing with speculation about the real nature of the X5. While Bitmain hasn’t explicitly detailed the internals of the X5, the notion that it might be some form of CPU miner has gained traction.

There are good reasons behind this line of thought. For one, Bitmain announced that the Antminer X5 is capable of mining multiple cryptocurrencies. While there are several cryptocurrencies on Monero’s RandomX algorithm, a CPU miner could technically mine hundreds of cryptocurrencies.

If it’s true, the implications are significant. It would mean the Antminer X5 can continue mining profitably even if Monero goes ahead with a fork. On the other hand, other CPU-mined cryptocurrencies might find their profitability threatened by an influx of X5 miners.

The Profitability Perspective
At the time of writing, Monero’s price stands at $145.15, a stark contrast from its all-time high of $517.62 two years ago. Given these figures and the X5’s specifications of 212 kilohashes at 1,350 Watts, its current daily profitability hovers around $6-7usd before accounting for electricity costs.

However, these numbers are based on Monero’s current value. If the market sees another bull run, the profitability of the Antminer X5 could skyrocket, making it a potential goldmine for early adopters.

Checkout latest XMR mining profitability.

The Final Verdict
With the official release of the Antminer X5 just around the corner, many questions remain. The nature of its mining capabilities and the reaction of the Monero community will shape the miner’s destiny.

In the fast-paced world of cryptocurrency, one thing is certain – change is the only constant. Whether the Antminer X5 becomes a game-changer or fades into obscurity will be a story worth watching.

For now, all eyes are on Bitmain and the upcoming launch of their new miner. Whatever the outcome, it’s bound to shake up the world of cryptocurrency mining.

Crafting the Future, One Block at a Time!
FULL post here

WEBSITE | INSTAGRAM | TELEGRAM | TWITTER | YOUTUBE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JayDDee

Activity: 1384
Merit: 220

View Profile
August 31, 2023, 07:16:08 PM

What happened to the other thread?

Bitmain themselves claim "RISC-V powered" so it is indeed a box full of CPUs, but not normal CPUs.
RISC-V is an open CPU architecture so Bitmain is either building a "RandomX CPU" or a more flexible "Mining CPU".

A RandomX CPU would indeed be an ASIC, it's Specific Application being mining RandomX and would be most efficient.
A more generic mining CPU would still need a SW layer and would be a compromise for flexibility.

rybako

Activity: 80
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 01, 2023, 08:36:52 AM

Right now, it's a bit of a puzzle, but the possibilities are huge. If it turns out to be a real ASIC miner, it might cause quite a stir in the world of Monero mining. But, if it's a CPU miner, it could shake things up for the whole cryptocurrency mining game.

I'm also curious about how the Monero community will respond to the X5. Will they tweak their algorithm again to keep it ASIC-proof? Or will they embrace the X5 as a new player in the game? It's still early days, but the Antminer X5 is one miner that's got my attention.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
September 01, 2023, 09:56:58 AM

At the time of writing, Monero’s price stands at $145.15, a stark contrast from its all-time high of $517.62 two years ago. Given these figures and the X5’s specifications of 212 kilohashes at 1,350 Watts, its current daily profitability hovers around $6-7usd before accounting for electricity costs.

Profitability could skyrocking? Not really the price hits in the last 2 bullruns only around 500 dollars, but the difficulty increased in the same time.
Now thanks to bitmain, more people have an eye on Monero and this "Asics" make it easier for big farms to dive in Monero mining. And i don´t know why people say they don´t care about this miner, i mean i described it, it is now easier to get into monero mining and the hashrate will go up huge.

The efficency is so bad, some cpu´s are more efficent. So it´s interesting to see what happens and if this miner can mine other CPU algos.
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2023, 10:34:49 AM

Profitability could skyrocking? Not really the price hits in the last 2 bullruns only around 500 dollars, but the difficulty increased in the same time.
Now thanks to bitmain, more people have an eye on Monero and this "Asics" make it easier for big farms to dive in Monero mining. And i don´t know why people say they don´t care about this miner, i mean i described it, it is now easier to get into monero mining and the hashrate will go up huge.

The efficency is so bad, some cpu´s are more efficent. So it´s interesting to see what happens and if this miner can mine other CPU algos.
The community's sentiment towards these developments will be crucial in determining Monero's future direction.

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 01, 2023, 05:22:08 PM

The community's sentiment towards these developments will be crucial in determining Monero's future direction.

Do you have an idea about the price of this ASIC? RandomX is a very complex algorithm and ASICs price should be more favorable for buyers so that they are willing to risk buying asics with the risk that developers can change the Monero algorithm after a while.
Miners on processors have a low profit, and then there's a new surprise from Bitman.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JayDDee

View Profile
September 01, 2023, 09:52:02 PM

Do you have an idea about the price of this ASIC? RandomX is a very complex algorithm and ASICs price should be more favorable for buyers so that they are willing to risk buying asics with the risk that developers can change the Monero algorithm after a while.
Miners on processors have a low profit, and then there's a new surprise from Bitman.

Bitmain is having a contest to guess the price.

It's a big RISC (bad pun intended) to produce an ASIC mining chip for Monero considering how quickly they have been ready so tweak the algo
at the first sniff of a possible ASIC.

Even if it's flexible enough to allow mining other (similar) algos there's no other coin big enough to support ASIC mining. New algos would also
require new SW at least. Then there's the compromise between performance and flexibility.

Very interesting.

babymethyl2013

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 01:31:22 PM

Gives me flash backs to when Bitmain released the Antminer X3 for XMR for 20,000 USD.

Once the XMR community found out they changed the algo right away and bitmain had to start giving "bonus units" to the original people that got the X3 to compensate them. Eventually, all the coins that used cryptonight had a hard fork and these things were useless for years until Dynex was cryptonight for a month and they were extremely profitable.

as the story continues there were then many variants of cryptonight that were made like CnV2, V3 ect....there was always a rumor that the X3 was also customizable and programable (almost like a cryptonight FPGA) certain people figured out how to make it also mine the variants. this rumor was never confirmed but eventually the devs released RandomX which was originally pioneered by pascal coin with them creating RandomHash algo.

here's my guess:
This is going to be a highly customizable CPU miner that will be able to account for XMR devs doing any form of algo changing. Kinda like how the X3 was rumored to be able to do this.

Anyone else remember the Antmner X3 release fiasco??
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 02, 2023, 02:53:43 PM

Bitmain is having a contest to guess the price.

It's a big RISC (bad pun intended) to produce an ASIC mining chip for Monero considering how quickly they have been ready so tweak the algo
at the first sniff of a possible ASIC.

Even if it's flexible enough to allow mining other (similar) algos there's no other coin big enough to support ASIC mining. New algos would also
require new SW at least. Then there's the compromise between performance and flexibility.

Very interesting.
The price will depend on how this ASIC is made. If this is a processor asic that can be configured for any algorithms, but this will be a new important step in altcoin mining. If this is a chip for certain similar algorithms, then the fate of the ASIC will largely depend on the developers of the Monero coin. If I were the developers, I would wait for the ASIC release and then make a decision.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2023, 05:02:44 PM

Gives me flash backs to when Bitmain released the Antminer X3 for XMR for 20,000 USD.

Once the XMR community found out they changed the algo right away and bitmain had to start giving "bonus units" to the original people that got the X3 to compensate them. Eventually, all the coins that used cryptonight had a hard fork and these things were useless for years until Dynex was cryptonight for a month and they were extremely profitable.

as the story continues there were then many variants of cryptonight that were made like CnV2, V3 ect....there was always a rumor that the X3 was also customizable and programable (almost like a cryptonight FPGA) certain people figured out how to make it also mine the variants. this rumor was never confirmed but eventually the devs released RandomX which was originally pioneered by pascal coin with them creating RandomHash algo.

here's my guess:
This is going to be a highly customizable CPU miner that will be able to account for XMR devs doing any form of algo changing. Kinda like how the X3 was rumored to be able to do this.

Anyone else remember the Antmner X3 release fiasco??
Yes remember that , biggest risk of buying is actually buying an ASIC miner . no other purpose just hope.

JayDDee

View Profile
September 03, 2023, 06:40:56 PM

here's my guess:

Not "any form of algo change". That would make it just an array of general purpose CPUs. As I mentioned flexibilty has a compromise in performance.
The more it's customized for RandomX the faster it is but also the less flexible it is.

You can be sure Monero will try to sidestep any flexibility built in to the X5. They won't simply switch to a variant of RandomX.

mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2023, 02:58:57 PM

Bitmain Released official MSPR price 2999$  price per one unit , whats your thoughts?

safar1980
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1615

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
September 09, 2023, 12:36:42 PM

Bitmain Released official MSPR price 2999$  price per one unit , whats your thoughts?
X5 is Sold Out!
👏Congratulations to all the friends who got a hold of X5. Thank you for your support‼
https://twitter.com/bitmaintech/status/1698702550726533580?

The buyers had discount coupons, so their purchase price was $2,100
the calculator says that the payback period is long, but the ASICs are still on the way.

mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2023, 12:11:35 PM

Bitmain Released official MSPR price 2999$  price per one unit , whats your thoughts?
X5 is Sold Out!
👏Congratulations to all the friends who got a hold of X5. Thank you for your support‼
https://twitter.com/bitmaintech/status/1698702550726533580?

The buyers had discount coupons, so their purchase price was $2,100
the calculator says that the payback period is long, but the ASICs are still on the way.

Yes the problem is coupons mostly have resellers , and its bought up trough WeChat/Whatsapp from Bitmain.
ROI is way to long, but interesting device wonder it XMR will fork it out agin.

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
September 11, 2023, 02:36:22 PM

I have a feeling that these miners are used. I always asked in many places why monero hashrate is damn high it is jot profitable with cpu even you have ryzen 9 it pays pennies. Now i got my answer.
JayDDee

View Profile
September 11, 2023, 10:21:07 PM

I have a feeling that these miners are used. I always asked in many places why monero hashrate is damn high it is jot profitable with cpu even you have ryzen 9 it pays pennies. Now i got my answer.

It's called beta testing and the beta testers keep the rewards as a bonus. I doubt Bitmain sells used miners as new.

The competition for this miner is well known so it's all about pricing. Considering an equivalent number of CPUs also need
their own PSU, mobo, etc, it will be interesting to see where they priced the X5 in comparison to the cost of discrete CPU miners.

mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2023, 12:48:49 PM

It's called beta testing and the beta testers keep the rewards as a bonus. I doubt Bitmain sells used miners as new.

The competition for this miner is well known so it's all about pricing. Considering an equivalent number of CPUs also need
their own PSU, mobo, etc, it will be interesting to see where they priced the X5 in comparison to the cost of discrete CPU miners.

They test the devices 100% before they shipped, how long only Bitmain knows. I called premine ....ha
Seems bit overpriced curently, but the specs are quite nice.

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
September 30, 2023, 05:09:05 PM

I thought randomx algo is asic resistant.looks like nothing resistant to asics.
sech1

Activity: 116
Merit: 66

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2023, 05:20:21 PM

X5 is not an ASIC, it's a bunch of RISC-V CPUs (SG2042, you can google it) packed together, and they even use DDR4 SODIMM memory sticks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWGbkJjXa8
JayDDee

View Profile
October 01, 2023, 05:52:11 AM

X5 is not an ASIC, it's a bunch of RISC-V CPUs (SG2042, you can google it) packed together, and they even use DDR4 SODIMM memory sticks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWGbkJjXa8

Vanilla RISC-V so it's just a CPU cluster. It could mine many algos just by recompiling an existing cpu miner for RISC-V.
There are 6 of them so about $400 each in volume. I wouldn't mind one of these CPUs to play around with.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: