Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:42:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The comment layout is awful here  (Read 483 times)
Adbitco

Activity: 1428
Merit: 653

Always Act Smart and Play Safe With Your Funds

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2023, 01:41:56 PM

When I was new to this forum, I was practically suggesting many changes but theymos was adamant to my proposals, little did I know why he was deaf to my proposals and that of many others. I was obviously coming from the social media background and here appeared echaic to me. But right now I am just seeing perfection in the forum and I will hardly support any major change to the structure of this forum save creation of necessary boards. The layout of this forum is its originality and should not be toyed with.
If what Op suggested I implemented, I do not know the possibility of multiple quoting and that will hinder the free flow of conversation in this forum. This is a forum Op.

You know most times people always wanted the forum to be the way they thought without knowing if that same chance is given to them at their time of arrival to the forum another new arrival would also come to speak how he or she needs the forum to looks like, by then theymos could keep making changes and if time not taken we might ended up with improper layout or outlook of the forum.

So theymos decided not to respond to anyone since they aren't yet gotten familiarized with the whole concept and I believe by the time they spent days, weeks and months possibly years they would understand why the forum remain unchanged from its original version to another newer version, although I barely make use of social media because it doesn't looks like this forum and sometimes I wish Mark Z. could make a changes as well to look more like this forum for me but no way. The bottom line is we should be patient with any site we find ourselves and also learned to be used to that specific site instead of taking another version of site configuration to another without knowing that is the interface of that site.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
September 16, 2023, 11:06:55 PM

Yeah, I hate Reddit with a passion.
Honestly, I thought it was an aberration not to have a Reddit account at the time I came into this crypto industry because everyone seemed to be on it but I was disappointed when I eventually got on there. For me, it's not even user-friendly. I can't remember the last time I was on that site, let alone dropped a post there.

It's a crapshoot with him--but I'd bet the house he's not going to lift a finger to act on this one.
I hope he doesn't on this request from OP. If there's anything I don't want theymos doing, it's changing the layout here. I like the ease of navigation. I've been on other crypto sites and I can say to the best of my perspicacity that BTT takes the top.

BTW, OP I don't see anything awful about the layout.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
PowerGlove
hacker

Activity: 511
Merit: 4005

View Profile
September 21, 2023, 11:53:00 AM

I for one would be horrified if it changed visually in any major way. (...)
I lean in that direction, too (a conservator/preservation mindset), but I also think it's important to attract (or, at least not alienate) new users. That's a very difficult balancing act, but once in a while I see it done successfully. I don't know if you're a gamer, but one recent example that comes to mind (of something that was cherished in its original form, but also deeply appreciated in its modern form) is the work that Bluepoint did on Demon's Souls. That might seem like a strange analogy, but I think that's exactly the kind of treatment that Bitcointalk needs (i.e. modern touches where it makes sense, but without changing anything fundamental).

But maybe it is possible somehow to implement a patch in SMF that places a button next to each topic on the far right that you can click on to toggle ignore/unignore status (@PowerGlove?) and combine that with the list of ignored users to get the final set.
Yup, it's on my backlog (I agreed to look into it here), and my current thinking is to put the button inside the topic, like this:

I'd also like to get around to paginating the user ignore list at some point. When I find the time to do that, I'm thinking of experimenting with the idea of making one "unified" ignore list that can handle multiple things (i.e. users, boards, topics, etc.) though I haven't put much thought into that approach, so it may not pan out.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: