Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:14:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing seedphrase to Coinbase wallet  (Read 159 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6106

View Profile
September 23, 2023, 11:52:56 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2023, 03:24:42 PM by OmegaStarScream

I have been trying to import a seedphrase to Coinbase wallet but to no avail. I keep getting the same error "Something went wrong" although I'm sure that the seedphrase is correct. The phrase belongs to Trustwallet, but that shouldn't be an issue since both use BIP39. Has anyone been facing the same problem lately?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
September 25, 2023, 02:41:53 PM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (2)

As far As I can recall, migrating from Trust Wallet to Coinbase Wallet is possible since I have tried it long ago. Both applications are a popular wallet, so they should be using the standard implementation. Upon trying to check it again, I did not even manage to successfully open up the Wallet. It shows the error as follows.

So I believe this is the problem from their end. Have you checked other social media (Reddit/Twitter) in case someone has the same issue? Also, were you able to open up the wallet first or does the error displayed when you just open up the wallet?
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2023, 07:45:10 AM

-snip-
So I believe this is the problem from their end. Have you checked other social media (Reddit/Twitter) in case someone has the same issue? Also, were you able to open up the wallet first or does the error displayed when you just open up the wallet?

I found the problem. Apparently, you need to be connected to the internet (strange for a wallet that claims to be non-custodial) in order to import the seedphrase.

But to answer your questions, I was able to open the wallet just fine and my error was a bit than yours. Mine was only displaying a small text in red under the InputBox where I type the seed phrase.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
September 26, 2023, 10:15:08 PM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (1)

I found the problem. Apparently, you need to be connected to the internet (strange for a wallet that claims to be non-custodial) in order to import the seedphrase.

But to answer your questions, I was able to open the wallet just fine and my error was a bit than yours. Mine was only displaying a small text in red under the InputBox where I type the seed phrase.

I see. Regarding my problem, I am now able to open it up. And yep, they require an internet connection to import with the phrase, otherwise, the loading icon just infinitely circling. With the fact we were having some problems ("Something went wrong"), some of their services might be down back then. Surely a badly designed and built of a non-custodial wallet.
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1786

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
September 26, 2023, 11:50:33 PM

One of the worst "noncustodial" wallets. If I recall well, I think I tried testing it a while back by creating an account without an internet connection and failed, I had to even delete it off my phone.
I would rather opt for an individual open source noncustodial wallet like metamask.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cryptoaddictchie
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1315

View Profile
September 28, 2023, 09:02:53 AM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (1)

Hello, does non custodial wallet works without internet fine? Cause Ive never tried to import a seedphrase to another app or wallet without internet. Cause I really think it needed to be connected in order to use the importation process. Or does this work on other coins? Cause we are using an app which almost all the times work with internet and rarely to function without it.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2023, 09:16:17 AM

One of the worst "noncustodial" wallets. If I recall well, I think I tried testing it a while back by creating an account without an internet connection and failed, I had to even delete it off my phone.
I would rather opt for an individual open source noncustodial wallet like metamask.

I needed to use a specific dapp and I didn't have so many options. Trustwallet's WalletConnect never works properly. And MetaMask had way too many issues in the phone version, for example (just from my experience):

- If you have biometrics set up, you won't be able to log in. It's like an infinite loop of constantly checking your biometrics after you put your finger on the fingerprint scanner.
- The password is also "incorrect" even when I'm 100% sure it's correct. In fact, the password works fine when I want to switch from Biometric to PIN for example, but not when the wallet is automatically locked.

I also noticed many issues with the mobile version a couple of years ago, and Google Play reviews reflected that at some point but after I saw a good increase in their score, I decided to give it a shot again, but it doesn't look like much has improved.

Hello, does non custodial wallet works without internet fine? Cause Ive never tried to import a seedphrase to another app or wallet without internet. Cause I really think it needed to be connected in order to use the importation process. Or does this work on other coins? Cause we are using an app which almost all the times work with internet and rarely to function without it.

That should be possible yes. If you try it on MetaMask or Electrum, it will work with no issues. The private keys are derived from your seedphrase, so there should be no need to communicate with any server.
Now, I understand that they might need an internet connection to fetch the prices and get the list of coins, etc. but I think that's bad UX. It's not what one would expect from a non-custodial wallet. They should allow users to import their wallets, and then just ask them to connect to the internet to get the rest of the functionalities.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptoaddictchie
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1315

View Profile
September 28, 2023, 02:52:14 PM

That should be possible yes. If you try it on MetaMask or Electrum, it will work with no issues. The private keys are derived from your seedphrase, so there should be no need to communicate with any server.
Now, I understand that they might need an internet connection to fetch the prices and get the list of coins, etc. but I think that's bad UX. It's not what one would expect from a non-custodial wallet. They should allow users to import their wallets, and then just ask them to connect to the internet to get the rest of the functionalities.
Oh thanks. I really thought that even any non custodial dapps or apps needed internet to import seed phrase. But since you already mentioned it, maybe I'll try sometimes. Im not aware of this cause I thought internet is a must with processes like this. Whats other non custodial that works like that without even need net to work?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2023, 07:00:32 AM
Merited by cryptoaddictchie (1)

Oh thanks. I really thought that even any non custodial dapps or apps needed internet to import seed phrase. But since you already mentioned it, maybe I'll try sometimes. Im not aware of this cause I thought internet is a must with processes like this. Whats other non custodial that works like that without even need net to work?

I would imagine that pretty much every wallet that claims to be non-custodial should allow that. I know that Exodus, Unstoppable, and MetaMask (as I mentioned earlier) do, and for Bitcoin-only wallets (they're all open source): Mycelium, Bluewallet, Sparrow, etc.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Rimueng

Activity: 374
Merit: 12

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
November 23, 2023, 01:22:11 AM

I have been trying to import a seedphrase to Coinbase wallet but to no avail. I keep getting the same error "Something went wrong" although I'm sure that the seedphrase is correct. The phrase belongs to Trustwallet, but that shouldn't be an issue since both use BIP39. Has anyone been facing the same problem lately?
After looking into it, there is also a thread on the same reddit so you are not the only one facing this problem. You has test your seed phrase in trustwallet? if the phrase works in trustwallet, it might help ensure that the issue is specific to the coinbase wallet.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║ 〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙 ║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2023, 08:21:17 AM

After looking into it, there is also a thread on the same reddit so you are not the only one facing this problem. You has test your seed phrase in trustwallet? if the phrase works in trustwallet, it might help ensure that the issue is specific to the coinbase wallet.

The seedphrase does work fine on Trustwallet but I wanted to switch to Coinbase wallet without having to create a completely new wallet with different addresses. But like I said, it turned out that my problem was related to me not being connected to the internet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1786

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
November 25, 2023, 11:31:09 PM

I needed to use a specific dapp and I didn't have so many options. Trustwallet's WalletConnect never works properly.

What Dapp are you trying to use in particular, I could help explore some other noncustodial wallets to see if they support it,

I have seen people complain about trust wallet in the recent times too, including the functionality of some Dapps.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██