Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:11:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which CPU blockchain should I mine, and why?  (Read 1691 times)
exahash (OP)

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 06:19:49 PM

I have a good bit of GPU-based BTC mining capacity - https://arsbitcoin.com/poolstats.php (I'm that exahash) - but I'm not using all my CPUs.

I've done a bunch of reading here, but am having trouble seeing a clear winner...

I see Litecoin coming on strong, and I had been waiting to see if Tenebrix caught on. 

Beyond which chain, I'm also wondering what are your favorite pool(s) to use and where to exchange the alt currencies?

One of the reasons I held off on Tenebrix is that btc-e popped up at the same time Bitcoin7 went down and I got burned pretty bad there.  Not sure I want to deal with another CIS-based exchange unless its the only option.

Feel free to post or PM if you prefer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 08:15:29 PM

Litecoin since first day of it!!

Don't touch Solidcoin (a.k.a. Shitcoin), because it is totally centralized in the hands of one "man". It is also, centralized within the network too... By something called "Trusted" nodes... tsc... tsc... Can you believe that?!

I don't know for sure but, I think that Tenebrix and some others, have infinite inflation and pre-mined coins... Nothing grows for ever... Look to dollar...

I believe that there is only 3 usefull CryptoCurrencies right now:

Bitcoin - no comments... lol

Litecoin - CPU mining can have much more users across the globe

Namecoin - You can register your domain without needing some institution... Your domain can not be censured and, the U.S. Protect IP Act, if accepted, will have no effect in Namecoin domain names.

All the world's governments are doing right now, without realizing it, every thing they can, to help Bitcoin / Litecoin / Namecoin...

Best!
Thiago
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 08:18:51 PM

I don't think Bitcoin or Namecoin are really considered CPU block chains Wink

Mousepotato
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 08:27:51 PM

I don't think Bitcoin or Namecoin are really considered CPU block chains Wink

That is right!! ahaha!! Sorry...
Too much things in my mind...
exahash (OP)

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 09:29:59 PM

Thanks Thiago... Litecoin it is.  SC isn't for me.  I was wondering if TBX would catch on, I guess I have my answer.

I dabbled in NMC during the summer and am holding a few for fun, but regard the DNS aspect as doa.  My primary income comes from domains (of the ICANN sort).  We can already work around any particular govt using cctld's.  If the UN gets in on the act, then NMC could be worthwhile.

I have a LTC wallet set up now and have signed up to lc.ozco.in.  Mainly because I think graet seems like a stand up guy.  Not sure which (if any) other LTC pools I should check out.  Opinions?

That leaves...

What's everyone's favorite scrypt mining program? 

I am testing ArtForz's mod of cpuminer and plan to try minerd-amdfam10 too.  I've got quite a range of cpus.  Mostly 1-3 years old, sempron and core2duo.

And finally, what to do with the LTC?  I see a market on BTC-E... anywhere else?

pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 09:46:08 PM

I have a LTC wallet set up now and have signed up to lc.ozco.in.  Mainly because I think graet seems like a stand up guy.  Not sure which (if any) other LTC pools I should check out.  Opinions?
You will probably find this useful:
https://github.com/coblee/litecoin/wiki/Comparison-of-mining-pools

I am testing ArtForz's mod of cpuminer and plan to try minerd-amdfam10 too.  I've got quite a range of cpus.  Mostly 1-3 years old, sempron and core2duo.
ArtForz's miner is currently the state of the art, as long as it is compiled with the right optimization options. I am personally working on further performance improvements... stay tuned.

And finally, what to do with the LTC?  I see a market on BTC-E... anywhere else?
BTC-E is currently the most popular exchange, but there are others:
http://cryptoxchange.com/
https://vircurex.com/

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 11:18:58 PM

Yes, LTC all the way, hands down! Best CPU coin out there atm.
It also has the least amount of drama surrounding its developer and the network as a whole. Probably the least BS coin that exists other than btc =P

Also, u can use my service installer if your on windows machines for easy mining. It dont work w/ 32bit machines though, the miners themselves are broken.
Here be the link to the post for them...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50464.0

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
g2x3k

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

PooL-X.eu

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2011, 11:47:09 PM

well now since this look like a vote here now i have to give mine aswell: ltc ofc. Smiley

http://PooL-X.eu/ join the crew, bring your slaves
http://wallet.it.cx/ Instant LTC Wallet service
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 12:23:38 AM

Thanks Thiago... Litecoin it is.  SC isn't for me.  I was wondering if TBX would catch on, I guess I have my answer.

I dabbled in NMC during the summer and am holding a few for fun, but regard the DNS aspect as doa.  My primary income comes from domains (of the ICANN sort).  We can already work around any particular govt using cctld's.  If the UN gets in on the act, then NMC could be worthwhile.

That leaves...

I'm using Pool-X.eu for Litecoin mining... I never saw it offline. I am UltraX there!  :-P

The EclipseMC Bitcoin pool have BTC/NMC merge mining enabled, so, if you mine at EclipseMC and Pool-X.eu... You're with the best!  ;-)

Anyway, if you are able to earn +100 LTCs a day, you can solo mining easily... That's the reason I think that a major portion of the Litecoin hash-rate are "unknown"... Not to worry about 51% Litecoin attack... I guess...  Smiley

Cheers!
Thiago
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 12:29:15 AM

Basically it comes down to community support.

All these coins will only grow as long as there is community support. Many people feel litecoin is a great idea for a cpu only crypto currency. Many will hold onto their coins and continue to invest time and even money into it. Of course there will be some bad apples along the way.. botnets and such. But as a hole most people will continue to stick it out.

Just remember. Because the price might not look good today, doesnt mean it wont look better 2-3 weeks from now. Hell look at Bitcoin.. some people ares still holding strong and mining.

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 12:41:41 AM

That is right!

And, with the world's governments trying to create more and more taxes, the CryptoCurrencies will have more and more adoption.

They [govs] don't know how much they're helping us!!  lol

I hope to see MORE taxes between countries money transfers in EuroZone next year... So, more people will be here.

They [govs] are trying, more and more, besiege and control us, but, like atoms, we do not like pressure and tight places. They are desperate now. It is easy to see that. Because the status quo is about to change.

Best,
Thiago
pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 12:42:12 AM

Basically it comes down to community support.

All these coins will only grow as long as there is community support. Many people feel litecoin is a great idea for a cpu only crypto currency. Many will hold onto their coins and continue to invest time and even money into it. Of course there will be some bad apples along the way.. botnets and such. But as a hole most people will continue to stick it out.

Just remember. Because the price might not look good today, doesnt mean it wont look better 2-3 weeks from now. Hell look at Bitcoin.. some people ares still holding strong and mining.
+1
Couldn't have said it better!

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 12:45:57 AM

+1

Sorry to run out of the topic...
coinotron
Legendary

Activity: 1182

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 09:20:20 AM

I've done a bunch of reading here, but am having trouble seeing a clear winner...

If you are mining for profit take a look at Coinotron's profitability charts: www.coinotron.com . Solidcoin is clear winner at the moment. BTW, I wonder why no one mentioned it before. Wink
If you are looking for "strong" community support choose LTC or SC.
If you are not sure - diversify: 50% LTC, 50% SC.
You can mine both in Coinotron.

PS
If you want some fun try I0coin Tongue

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 06:01:55 PM

Lightcoin!

Its open, has strong community support, and diversified ownership for newcomers. Mining a CPU chain for profit at this point is silly- there isn't enough volume to really make any (serious) money. The idea is to mine and participate in the community to help build the project so that one day down the road your investment will return to you. Litecoin would appreciate your interest and support. 

more or less retired.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 03:28:44 AM

Lightcoin!

Its open, has strong community support, and diversified ownership for newcomers. Mining a CPU chain for profit at this point is silly- there isn't enough volume to really make any (serious) money. The idea is to mine and participate in the community to help build the project so that one day down the road your investment will return to you. Litecoin would appreciate your interest and support. 

+1

BTW, there is no reason in mining SC, since that thing is totally centralized, miners don't do nothing to protect the network... So, there is no meaning in SC mining.

I'm sorry for say what I'll say but, the fact the SC have any value, means that a lot of people are dumb. (The fact that wars exists in our world, proves that too - Most people are crazy!).

Please, I really sorry to say that and I do not want to point anybody. But this is how I see those things (SC believers)...

Do not waste your time with SC!

Best Regards!
Thiago
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: