Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:03:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice looking new iPhone bitcoin client (bitpak)  (Read 5334 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 01:44:07 AM

http://www.bitpak.com/  shows a pretty nice video demo of a Bitcoin client that they say will be in the iOS app store soon.

If it gets in, will this be the first actual wallet for non-jailbroken iPhones?

Anyone heard anything about bitpak or know who is behind it? (1st I've seen of them)
Their site says: "BitPak is a project of Ominous Megacorp."  http://www.ominousmegacorp.com

hmm..  'interesting' marketing considering the trust issues that we've had in the bitcoin community in recent months.
I hope that despite the name they'll come out and be a bit more 'open' than just 'ominous' Wink

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
samablog

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 02:17:55 AM

Hi.

I'm Rob Sama, the guy behind BitPak and Ominous Megacorp. The 'Ominous' name is a bit of a joke, as the company is basically just me and some developers.  I hope the name isn't too much of a put off.

We just submitted to the app store yesterday. So it will take some time before they approve or I fight with apple over it. I felt it was important to have a native iPhone client, so I went ahead and designed the app and recruited some developers to build it. As built, the app certainly isn't perfect. It takes forever to download the blocks, though it's speedy once they're downloaded. We're workiing on using an online database instead of downloading blocks for version 2.

I'm surprised this was discovered so quickly. Hopefully people will appreciate what went into making this. In the meantime, please visit my other website, www.bitcoindecals.com and get yourself a bitcoin bumper sticker ;-)

Thanks,

-Rob
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 02:26:11 AM

liked the app and the vid music, can you improve the blocks downloading in the future if is really too slow ? i like that option before depending on a central server, thanks

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 02:39:08 AM
Last edit: December 16, 2011, 03:33:37 AM by gnar1ta$

Looks promising, but what makes this different than the other apps that have been denied?  Why don't you include a partially downloaded block chain in the app instead of having the users download the whole thing?  I don't think you have to download the whole block chain anyway, the multibit guys have a very fast way of handling it, something about headers and only looking for the keys you have, it's a bit over my head but might be worth looking into https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.0

EDIT: I see, server handles block chain, like BitcoinSpinner - good thing I don't program, I'd screw everything up.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
JohnOliver

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 03:11:24 AM

Hi.

I'm Rob Sama, the guy behind BitPak and Ominous Megacorp. The 'Ominous' name is a bit of a joke, as the company is basically just me and some developers.  I hope the name isn't too much of a put off.

We just submitted to the app store yesterday. So it will take some time before they approve or I fight with apple over it. I felt it was important to have a native iPhone client, so I went ahead and designed the app and recruited some developers to build it. As built, the app certainly isn't perfect. It takes forever to download the blocks, though it's speedy once they're downloaded. We're workiing on using an online database instead of downloading blocks for version 2.

I'm surprised this was discovered so quickly. Hopefully people will appreciate what went into making this. In the meantime, please visit my other website, www.bitcoindecals.com and get yourself a bitcoin bumper sticker ;-)

Thanks,

-Rob

Best of luck on getting it approved. Apple and their walled garden has been pretty hard on the bitcoin crowd. A bitcoin client on the Apple app store would be huge.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 03:40:01 AM

Is it a full client, or just an api interface? It looks more like a mtgox client than anything else Undecided

in either case, here are a few suggestions  Cheesy
  • when entering numbers, the keyboard layout should be numerical, for easier typing
  • each field needs to be bigger for easier reading and selecting
  • less dependence on mtgox. there are other exchanges you know...
  • instead of a popup with "ok", replace "payment sent" with a popup that automatically closes (like the installous ones)
  • a button to paste address, or better yet, integration with ios, so you can select and send from anywhere (not sure if possible though)
  • notification center alerts for received coins, instead of "ok" popups

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
splatster

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 04:24:16 AM

when entering numbers, the keyboard layout should be numerical, for easier typing
I second this one.

each field needs to be bigger for easier reading and selecting
Same goes for this one.

less dependence on mtgox. there are other exchanges you know...
It didn't look very dependent on MtGox.  It is a fully featured wallet from what I can tell, but it does show the curent exchange rates on MtGox.

instead of a popup with "ok", replace "payment sent" with a popup that automatically closes (like the installous ones)
I disagree with this one.  What if you decided to set down your phone?

a button to paste address, or better yet, integration with ios, so you can select and send from anywhere (not sure if possible though)
As an iOS developer, I can assure you Apple would not allow integration as you might picture it.  It would be possible to do it through the use of a custom URL scheme, which I am sure the developers are familiar with.  Bassically, you would have to use links formated something similar to "bitpak://openaddress//", so it would be app-specific.

notification center alerts for received coins, instead of "ok" popups
Notifications are handled separately depending on whether or not the app is currently on-screen.  If it isn't, I'm sure it would apear as a push notification in notification center.

Those are just my thoughts.
samablog

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 01:23:10 AM

BitPak just got approved in the app store.  You can get your copy of it here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitpak/id489248095?mt=8&ls=1

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 02:20:49 AM

EDIT: moved to other thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55441.0

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 03:14:44 AM

BitPak just got approved in the app store.  You can get your copy of it here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitpak/id489248095?mt=8&ls=1

awsome, cant wait to try it.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:46:32 AM

I think this is great, and a good step.

Turning on a few of my iphone friends to this..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 05:59:00 AM

Why wasn't this denied? I'm glad it wasn't but I'm surprised given the number of other people who said they were denied.

finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 07:52:03 AM

So this is the full node? Cool~~  Grin

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 10:39:03 AM

Awesome! Now we know that bitcoin clients _can_ be approved.

However I'm not very fond of mobile clients which download the full block chain. Electrum-style thin client would be the best solution IMHO.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 02:33:10 PM

However I'm not very fond of mobile clients which download the full block chain. Electrum-style thin client would be the best solution IMHO.

yeah, then use server-centric clients and leave the p2p for real supporters

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:00:03 PM

yeah, then use server-centric clients and leave the p2p for real supporters

I was just leaving a tip to the original developer - just implement same kind of bitcoin client, but with Electrum concept (private keys stored on the client/dropbox, balance received from the server, no block chain download). This kind of wallet app could be hugely popular, since it would be really fast. Just look at BitcoinSpinner as an example.

Full block chain mobile clients won't become popular, because downloading the block chain is pain in the ass. Just my two bitcents.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 06:47:38 PM

Full block chain mobile clients won't become popular, because downloading the block chain is pain in the ass. Just my two bitcents.

I agree

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2011, 01:22:57 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2011, 02:02:29 AM by paraipan

I agree

if you only have an iphone around and you have been waiting a long time for a native wallet then it's easy for me to note that you don't really know how a thin client works. I actually have both, iphone and android, around so i've been using the bitcoin app with android for quite some time, few months. I can say it's awesome fast downloading blocks, a month for example downloads in 5-10 seconds, easy to work with and doesn't depend on any central server either.
I only hope iphone will get equal or better user experience with this app or future ones because we need to get bitcoin mobile by any means.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2011, 01:42:49 AM

I agree

if you only have an iphone around and you have been waiting a long time for a native wallet then it's easy for me to note that you don't really know how a thin client works. I actually have both, iphone and android, around so i've been using the bitcoin app with android for quite some time, few months. I can say it's awesome fast downloading blocks, a month for example downloads in 5-10 seconds, easy to work with and doesn't depend on any central server either.
I only hope iphone will get equal or better user experience with this app or future ones because we need to get bitcoin mobile with any means.
But it's so much wasted disk space.  I have my phone full of music and movies and am not interested in an app that will constantly grow.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2011, 01:53:30 AM

I agree

I only hope iphone will get equal or better user experience with this app or future ones because we need to get bitcoin mobile with any means.
But it's so much wasted disk space.  I have my phone full of music and movies and am not interested in an app that will constantly grow.

tell me if you really note 10-15Mb a year in a 8Gb storage space of a cheap iphone. Can't really speculate what the storage space will be in 100 years but i know for sure bitcoin blockchain Merkle-tree compressed will be 100-150Mb  Roll Eyes
Satoshi did think about storage space requirements and had a few words on it in the original paper.

Btw we got a nice Christmas gift for our phones, hope they keep up the good work

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: