Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:44:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice looking new iPhone bitcoin client (bitpak)  (Read 5334 times)
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2011, 02:03:18 AM

Well for me this app is a step backwards from a free QR scanner and free instawallet account. No downloading, transactions show quickly, and no Dropbox required. And they actually work on my phone, unlike this app which crashes immediately.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 10:19:45 AM

This app looks sexy but it's pretty much unusable, I left it a couple of nights on foreground and wifi and the block chain DL is still around ~40% slowly eating more and more of my not-so-plentiful space.

I think light clients (server based) will be far more successful. I don't think the fact that the client can hold private keys will be of great relevance since I think most bitcoin payments in the future won't even hit the bitcoin network.

It's an awesome PoC but a really bad wallet so far.
Looked promising... but no.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 02:15:31 AM

I think light clients (server based) will be far more successful. I don't think the fact that the client can hold private keys will be of great relevance since I think most bitcoin payments in the future won't even hit the bitcoin network.
Um. Holding the private keys is one of the most important things in my mind.  This means that you don't have trust whatever server you are using to not steal your coins and it also means that if said server goes offline, you can still access your coins.

weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 06:00:37 AM

Tested this with a friend last night and I think a couple of things could be improved.

1) The QR code it generates to receive add additional text that break compatibility when using it to receive money from other mobile wallet apps. I'm not sure if this was what allowed them to get the app approved but I don't see any real benefit to making it harder to do a transfer.  I had to paste the address in a note and remove the extra junk so i could past it in BitcoinSpinner or Bitcoin Wallet.

2) The app requires that you have a dropbox account. Not a deal-breaker but added an unnecessary step. A nag would have been sufficient.

I can't speak to the big block chain download but will post more if I hear anything about it.
dab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:07:37 AM

So.... what happens when you change phones?
dscotese

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 09:03:14 PM

Did something happen to the approval?  I just looked for it in the app store and it didn't show up.  It says "Did you mean hitpad?"

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:22:24 PM

Hi.

I'm Rob Sama, the guy behind BitPak and Ominous Megacorp. The 'Ominous' name is a bit of a joke, as the company is basically just me and some developers.  I hope the name isn't too much of a put off.

We just submitted to the app store yesterday. So it will take some time before they approve or I fight with apple over it. I felt it was important to have a native iPhone client, so I went ahead and designed the app and recruited some developers to build it. As built, the app certainly isn't perfect. It takes forever to download the blocks, though it's speedy once they're downloaded. We're workiing on using an online database instead of downloading blocks for version 2.

Hey Rob,

will the new version actually function? The last one I bought said: "downloading blockchain 0%" for weeks.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: