Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:10:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is it smart to restrict AI development?
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 2 (100%)
What is AI? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it smart to restrict AI development?  (Read 86 times)
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3056

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2023, 09:32:25 PM

China, the EU and the US have all placed restrictions on the development of AI.  Is this a wise move?

Apple is outspending many governments on AI research.  You can be sure North Korea and Iran are working on it.   It's a genie that cannot be put back in it's botte; the first nation to get AGI (General intelligence instead of narrow or specific) will be able to shut down all other research.

Imagine a scene in a movie where a gun gets knocked and lands a few meters from two combatants.   In a matter of milliseconds they try to judge each other with their eyes, then they both jump at it.   Anyone that understands the significant and era-changing power of AI is going to do everything they can to get it first.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
November 17, 2023, 04:23:17 PM

China, the EU and the US have all placed restrictions on the development of AI.  Is this a wise move?

Apple is outspending many governments on AI research.  You can be sure North Korea and Iran are working on it.   It's a genie that cannot be put back in it's botte; the first nation to get AGI (General intelligence instead of narrow or specific) will be able to shut down all other research.

Imagine a scene in a movie where a gun gets knocked and lands a few meters from two combatants.   In a matter of milliseconds they try to judge each other with their eyes, then they both jump at it.   Anyone that understands the significant and era-changing power of AI is going to do everything they can to get it first.

Restriction doesn't mean a ban on AI development, or does it? Could mean limiting what the AI developers can do or asking them to follow certain rules, which I think is ok as long as the rules prevent them from developing things that can be harmful to people/society.
One of the worst things you can give an AI is freewill with no boundaries/rules and effective kill-switch if it crosses the boundary or goes rogue. So, I think they need to figure out how to solve this.
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3056

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2023, 02:09:20 AM

So, I think they need to figure out how to solve this.

But my point is - there is no they.   It's an absolute certainty that some agency is working on AI privately.   Unless every single group working on AI is working together, restricting a group means they will lose the race.

For example, China has agreed to restrictions.  If China suddenly announces they have a working AGI system, they will not need to fear political backlash. They won't need to fear anything anymore, except for the AI.

I appreciate the response; I don't think this is proper audience for this type of discussion.   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2394
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
November 21, 2023, 06:24:54 PM

So, I think they need to figure out how to solve this.

But my point is - there is no they.   It's an absolute certainty that some agency is working on AI privately.   Unless every single group working on AI is working together, restricting a group means they will lose the race.

Absolutely, even if the government says they are agreeing to the restrictions it doesn't mean they will stop developing it and why would they stop/limit the development of a technology that is going to be the future in the first place?

It's just like the race of space agencies in the late 60's era with the only difference is they want to do it secretly.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Samlucky O

Activity: 280
Merit: 190

The great city of God 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2023, 12:06:42 PM

China, the EU and the US have all placed restrictions on the development of AI.  Is this a wise move?

Apple is outspending many governments on AI research.  You can be sure North Korea and Iran are working on it.   It's a genie that cannot be put back in it's botte; the first nation to get AGI (General intelligence instead of narrow or specific) will be able to shut down all other research.

Imagine a scene in a movie where a gun gets knocked and lands a few meters from two combatants.   In a matter of milliseconds they try to judge each other with their eyes, then they both jump at it.   Anyone that understands the significant and era-changing power of AI is going to do everything they can to get it first.
I think they have there reasons for the restrictions. The use of AI is a welcome development but abusive use of it might be the reason for such action. According to research AI has a high risk to human because the know nothing about founda mental human rights. And leave a lawless life and can be a threat to human. They has no human intelligence but act according to human command and can become a hazard in some context. Emagine some weeks ago I was watching a video on Facebook where a packaging industrial robot mistakenly crushed a human being while packaging things. Since it doesn't feel like human if not it would have noticed that it's crunching on human. Sometimes if a virus attacks a robot it can malfunction and be disastrous to human. So AI poss as a threat to human race.

CRAIC

Activity: 64
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 22, 2023, 12:39:56 PM
Merited by Grafen (1)

Depends on what purposes

I think artificial intelligence should develop to help people

But it’s scary to think - if AI will be used for military purposes
whore-ray

Activity: 58
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2023, 09:45:57 PM

Debatable... While China is a surveillance state and may censor to keep Western influences from its citizens, the U.S. might need to restrict content to prevent illegal activities that could cause harm. (also all other countries should make sure of it). In the EU, it is a double - edged sword, the DMCA, if not carefully implemented, could quickly slide into censorship,since it could restrict legitimate expression under the guise of copyright protection and hate speech. IMHO

Greetz, Ray
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: