Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:36:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Drive users angry over losing months of stored data  (Read 140 times)
larry_vw_1955 (OP)

Activity: 1050
Merit: 358

View Profile
November 27, 2023, 11:27:58 PM

Google Drive users are reporting that recent files stored in the cloud have suddenly disappeared, with the cloud service reverting to a storage snapshot as it was around April-May 2023.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-drive-users-angry-over-losing-months-of-stored-data/

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why they say to keep a hard copy of your private keys.  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 28, 2023, 05:31:27 AM
Merited by LoyceMobile (1)

Of course the media are going to make a big deal about this just because it's Google. I mean making a backup "only" every few months is nothing compared to Myspace accidentally destroying 12 years of content in a botched server migration. Remember that "the cloud" is just someone else's computer, with all that that implies. If you don't like how that someone manages their computer, including how frequently they make backups, consider buying and using a computer of your very own.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
larry_vw_1955 (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2023, 02:15:40 AM

Of course the media are going to make a big deal about this just because it's Google.
there has to be at least one person who was storing their seed phrases in google and lost them due to this little snafu. but i guess we can't be sure since i'm not sure how widespread this "bug" is.

I mean making a backup "only" every few months is nothing compared to Myspace accidentally destroying 12 years of content in a botched server migration.
Myspace? what is that? never heard of anyone using Myspace for cloud storage.

Remember that "the cloud" is just someone else's computer, with all that that implies. If you don't like how that someone manages their computer, including how frequently they make backups, consider buying and using a computer of your very own.
well and that's the thing though. these people probably gave a big thumbs up to google before they got jerked around. it's only once something bad happens that you have to reconsider the quality of the service.  

https://www.howtogeek.com/google-drive-is-mysteriously-losing-user-data/

This problem was first reported in a Google Support thread on November 21st. One person found that all the files synchronized to their Google Drive after May 2023 had mysteriously vanished. Oddly, the file structure of the user's Drive also reverted to May 2023, and their account shows no activity or files changes beyond that date.

Other people say that they've lost years of important data. There are several ways to recover Google Drive data, but the recovery process doesn't work in this specific situation. Lost files are not located in Google Drive's trash and cannot be synchronized from offline cache.

Funny thing is, I noticed Google Photos was blasting out a Cyber Monday sale. I bet those people that lost their data might feel a bit like they got put on the backburner seeing as how about they can do is post on a google help forum  Shocked and hope someone notices.
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2394
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
November 29, 2023, 03:09:48 AM

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why they say to keep a hard copy of your private keys.  Shocked
You can never trust google with your privacy then storing private keys is No,No...

But commoners always Google Cloud storage for storing their documents and some even store their private photos which doesn't make any sense at all.

A little tip, instead of using Google cloud storage, you can make use of the telegram saved message which is literally gives you unlimited storage also they can be trusted better than google but storing private keys digitally strictly prohibited.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

View Profile
November 29, 2023, 02:41:34 PM

This is why if you're going to store files and data that are important to you, just treat the cloud as another backup. By that means, another backup is that you've got other backups too that are not in the cloud. Like having an external HDD/SDD where you're going to store it there or even flashdisks/flashdrives. I've been using google drive/spreadsheets for some files of mine but I am fine if I'm going to lose them because it's known that even the best tech companies that manages the cloud can f up themselves sometimes.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
larry_vw_1955 (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2023, 01:55:02 AM

A little tip, instead of using Google cloud storage, you can make use of the telegram saved message which is literally gives you unlimited storage also they can be trusted better than google but storing private keys digitally strictly prohibited.
how can they afford to give unlimited storage though. sounds like something that would be RIPE for abuse. no way they are going to just let someone upload terabytes of data.

Quote from:  batang_bitcoin
This is why if you're going to store files and data that are important to you, just treat the cloud as another backup. By that means, another backup is that you've got other backups too that are not in the cloud. Like having an external HDD/SDD where you're going to store it there or even flashdisks/flashdrives. I've been using google drive/spreadsheets for some files of mine but I am fine if I'm going to lose them because it's known that even the best tech companies that manages the cloud can f up themselves sometimes.
but you do realize someone at google could just open up your files and take a look at them. so hopefully no sensitive info is in there because they can take a peak if they need to.  Shocked

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
November 30, 2023, 06:44:24 PM

decades ago we used to call server held data, 'hosting' and access for users to upload their own files 'ftp'

the genesis and evolution and promise of "cloud" was to have data stored live in multiple locations to ensure data survival if one server failed

google however just revealed it mis-sold its FTP host as cloud for decades

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
larry_vw_1955 (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2023, 01:39:39 AM

decades ago we used to call server held data, 'hosting' and access for users to upload their own files 'ftp'

the genesis and evolution and promise of "cloud" was to have data stored live in multiple locations to ensure data survival if one server failed

google however just revealed it mis-sold its FTP host as cloud for decades

i guess for many people they didn't pay anything though. they just wanted the free 15GB. but free users don't get any support. i think paid users might but i'm not sure. i heard some people couldn't login to their google account because it kept telling them their captcha was wrong even though they were solving it correctly. it just kept presenting them new captchas to solve. indefinitely.  Shocked imagine that, you can't get into your account but it's still there.
btc78

Activity: 2492
Merit: 212

View Profile
December 03, 2023, 09:25:55 PM

i thought everyone already kept this private keys in a hard copy but now I realized some people truly wanna risk it and are hard-headed

not only can it disappear into nowhere, it can be very easy to access as well if someone gets a hold of your phone or worse your phone gets hacked

larry_vw_1955 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2023, 12:23:50 AM

i thought everyone already kept this private keys in a hard copy but now I realized some people truly wanna risk it and are hard-headed
some of these people lost way more than just private keys. they lost their months of personal data. that's really bad. private keys can be replaced. you just load up more bitcoin onto a new private key. but you can't replace family pictures or videos and things like that. or spreadsheets of rental properties and rents due.  Shocked
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 04, 2023, 01:51:06 PM

some of these people lost way more than just private keys. they lost their months of personal data. that's really bad. private keys can be replaced. you just load up more bitcoin onto a new private key. but you can't replace family pictures or videos and things like that. or spreadsheets of rental properties and rents due.  Shocked
True.

Remember the old social media, Friendster? There have been lots of files as well there and family photos and videos that can no longer recover and it's the same to this.

And for those that likes to keep files on cloud storages, keep yourselves a back up on your personal local data storages or personal computers for your own convenience.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
larry_vw_1955 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2023, 05:39:56 AM

Remember the old social media, Friendster? There have been lots of files as well there and family photos and videos that can no longer recover and it's the same to this.
yeah i remember Friendster but all I could find about their history is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendster

In June 2011, Friendster shifted from social networking site to a social entertainment site with a focus on gaming and entertainment. Previous users' accounts are unchanged. However, all the photos, messages, comments, testimonials, shoutouts, blogs, forums and groups that the users may have had in the past may no longer be part of their Friendster account.[43] An exporting tool is provided to back up the information of the user account. This tool has the ability to export photos to Flickr and Multiply.

The deadline given to users to export their photos was extended to June 27, 2011. Photos which were not exported before the deadline were removed and are no longer retrievable.

not sure how long the deadline given was. but it sounds like it might have been a short one  I'm assuming that's what you were referring to by people losing their data. They didn't act fast enough so it was gone, deleted.

And for those that likes to keep files on cloud storages, keep yourselves a back up on your personal local data storages or personal computers for your own convenience.
for sure. there's really no excuse with multi TB SSDs these days. other than just laziness.  Shocked of course, when a 1 minute video from your phone uses an entire Gigabyte, you would need a 1000TB SSD most likely if you do alot of movie making...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: