Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:46:55 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Term BTC Holders Who Still Haven't Cashed Out Any Big Profits?  (Read 297 times)
Die_empty

Activity: 742
Merit: 1011

Give all before death

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 03:24:45 AM

You don't believe in cashing out a portion of your btc into cash and then putting a portion into the bank and earning 5% interest?  Do you also feel like the other poster that is stupid?  I'm curious but are you from the US or not?
Selling your Bitcoin because you want to put the funds in a fixed deposit for 5% interest is a wrong investment move. Such a person might have other reasons for doing that but if it is for profit-making, it is not a smart move. Keeping Bitcoin is more profitable than a fixed deposit. You have to also consider the effect of inflation on fiat money. Within a few years, the money will gradually lose value.

I'm talking about like someone having 5k in the bank and a low paying job where it barely covers their rent and food and living expenses.  But this person could have 5 btc or 10 btc or even more.
Keeping Bitcoin indeed comes with a lot of sacrifice especially now that the economies of some countries are suffering. But why would somebody suffer from lack and want when he has some Bitcoin to sell? Our main priority should be how to live comfortable and healthy lives. And you cannot eat good food and live in a comfortable apartment without money.

If someone's job cannot cover his cost of basic needs it is better to sell some portion of your Bitcoin investment than to fall sick or die because you want to keep your coins. It is good to live a low-cost life that will limit spending on luxuries but when it comes to basic needs it is important for survival. If you fail to eat well, live in good homes and maintain your health because you want to keep your Bitcoin, you might die and someone else will enjoy your investment.

I mean people who like a caveman with 5k and a job that barely pays their living expenses but just keeping their btc and not selling any.  That type of person is rare right? 
People decide how they want to live their lives especially when they are old enough to make decisions. There might be people who might have chosen to live below their income and don't want to touch their Bitcoin for some reason best known to them. But I can attest that such kinds of people are very scarce. Maybe they have big plans for their Bitcoin in the future but I reiterate that the main reason why we invest is to live a comfortable life.

jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 04:34:06 AM

id say to that person.. stick to economic logic..
buy low sell high

we are at mid point of 4 year ATH cycle. its a little too early to cash out even $1k just to then sit in a bank account earning 5%
best thing is to only cash out if you are in profit. and only if you have true emergency need if it is not a ATH cycle year

when a ATH happens. then evaluate how much you want to cash out to live on
and then when the price corrects decide how much to stick back in for the next cycle

sometimes selling all coin just to buy back in x months is not worth the effort in selling all per cycle. because selling all ends up triggering a tax event. so best do math and calculate the pro-con of cashing it all out or just a percentage

as for the apartment question
each person is different as are their apartment options

make a judgement. is it the size of the apartment feeling like a prison
if so ask 2 questions

is it the size of the apartment?
or
lack of things to do outside near(walking distance of) apartment that is the problem?(dont go out as there is nothing to do)

if you searched for what you deem as a better apartment/location with more local activities. look at the cost difference between the rents/mortgages. and ask 2 questions
is paying the extra for better apartment going to improve life.
or
can that "difference between" amount pay for more regular outdoor activities to improve your life

is it really the apartment or the lack of vacations the real problem.
can the "difference between" allow you to work a few less hours while still sustaining cost of living, to allow you more rest/recreation time

Well you should only cash out when you are in profit.  So a person that is a long term btc holder, if they sell any decent amount of btc they have, it would be in profit becaue they bought the btc from a while back.  But if someone doesn't need to cashout btc at the moment but their living conditions suck such that they only have 5k in the bank and their low paying job only pays enough to cover their rent and food and cheap living expenses... shouldn't that person who would have profit if they sell a decent portion of their btc, even say 5%, well they would be able to live in a nice apartment for a year or so.  When I say nice apartment, just imagine it being nicer than the current apartment where it could be small or just crappy apartment.  But that person is fine living like that but obviously would want to upgrade.  So upgrading to a better apartment could mean they like the area better and things like that.  But this person could be used to their crap apartment for many years and they don't care and just live like caveman in their apartment.  By cheap apartment, imagine an apartment that you wouldn't even want to bring anyone to because it's embarrasing... like that type of caveman person and type of apartment.  What are your thoughts on that?  And do you think there are peoplie like that have a decent amount of btc?

Well in the example I don't mean sell the btc and buy back later.  I mean do you think people like this exist or not?  And yes this would be the extreme end of like having a good amount of btc but not enough to live off.  Like imagine someone paying few hundred dollars in rent where they could easily pay double or 3x and live in a nicer apartment for a year or so to enjoy some of the profits as oppose to not enjoying and profits and living like a caveman living in the same cheap apartment and working the low paying job which barely covers their expenses.  Like this person might even have mid 6 figures or more but they don't want to sell any profit at all.  Like imagine someone who bought amazon stock years ago and didn't sell any and if they sold just 10%, well now they could at least move to a nicer apartment for a year or so but they don't spend anything and live like a caveman.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 04:42:17 AM

You don't believe in cashing out a portion of your btc into cash and then putting a portion into the bank and earning 5% interest?  Do you also feel like the other poster that is stupid?  I'm curious but are you from the US or not?
Selling your Bitcoin because you want to put the funds in a fixed deposit for 5% interest is a wrong investment move. Such a person might have other reasons for doing that but if it is for profit-making, it is not a smart move. Keeping Bitcoin is more profitable than a fixed deposit. You have to also consider the effect of inflation on fiat money. Within a few years, the money will gradually lose value.

I'm talking about like someone having 5k in the bank and a low paying job where it barely covers their rent and food and living expenses.  But this person could have 5 btc or 10 btc or even more.
Keeping Bitcoin indeed comes with a lot of sacrifice especially now that the economies of some countries are suffering. But why would somebody suffer from lack and want when he has some Bitcoin to sell? Our main priority should be how to live comfortable and healthy lives. And you cannot eat good food and live in a comfortable apartment without money.

If someone's job cannot cover his cost of basic needs it is better to sell some portion of your Bitcoin investment than to fall sick or die because you want to keep your coins. It is good to live a low-cost life that will limit spending on luxuries but when it comes to basic needs it is important for survival. If you fail to eat well, live in good homes and maintain your health because you want to keep your Bitcoin, you might die and someone else will enjoy your investment.

I mean people who like a caveman with 5k and a job that barely pays their living expenses but just keeping their btc and not selling any.  That type of person is rare right? 
People decide how they want to live their lives especially when they are old enough to make decisions. There might be people who might have chosen to live below their income and don't want to touch their Bitcoin for some reason best known to them. But I can attest that such kinds of people are very scarce. Maybe they have big plans for their Bitcoin in the future but I reiterate that the main reason why we invest is to live a comfortable life.

Okay so you think these type of people are scarce which is my question and I do believe it's very scarce.  I mean there can't be any or much people where they have 5k in the bank and a low paying job where it covers their cheap living expenses... imagine cheap apartment and everything cheap... and zero money in stock or real estate or anything but somehow a person like that has like 1 or 2 million dollars in btc right?  And imagine this type of person goes... I am not selling any btc until it's either an emergency where I have to sell... or until btc hits like 6 figures so I can cash out half the btc and retire and live off the interest?  I got to assume thare might be very few people who are like this right?  Then again, it's hard to imagine someone still working a low paying job and living in a cheap apartment and not cashing out any btc profits if they have a decent amount of btc right?  I can imagine someone who bought btc years ago for 2k and now it's 40k and say they could have 1 or 2 btc and well that they don't want to cash any out.  But the same person with say 10 or 12 btc... got to assume that is much different right?  Or there are some rare people that are willing to live as cheap as they can and work their low paying job and can't even save money after paying all their living expenses but still do that and just holding on to their btc and waiting for their entire btc to be worth like a few million dollars?  That type of person is very rare and extreme but they do exist right?

I am talking about people who cashed out maybe 1k max profit and their total profit right now if they cashout could be 6 figures for example.  Heck it could even mid 6 figures but they choose to not do so?  Those people are very rare right?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 05:17:59 AM

There are still a few people who had tons of coins which were over 10 years old which cash out from time to time. Even once in a while we have someone that cashes out the original 50 BTC mined coins.

If you look at the coin days destroyed it shows you a graph and when a large portion of old coins are finally being moved. Usually this happens when we hit new ATH and sometimes when it looks like bitcoin is crashing.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 07:42:56 AM

There are still a few people who had tons of coins which were over 10 years old which cash out from time to time. Even once in a while we have someone that cashes out the original 50 BTC mined coins.

If you look at the coin days destroyed it shows you a graph and when a large portion of old coins are finally being moved. Usually this happens when we hit new ATH and sometimes when it looks like bitcoin is crashing.

Well these people are people who I'm talking about.  I mean at least holding for 5 years so that would clearly be even long than that.  However, are there people that hasn't cashed out any real profit but lives like a caveman so to speak and work a low paying job which barely pays the bills and live in a crappy apartment.  Such that if they spent say 10% of their profits from the btc from years ago, they could live in a nice apartment for a year or so.  But instead that person continues to live like a caveman.  Are there many people like that?

Latviand

Activity: 1540
Merit: 219

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 07:58:26 AM

im comfy.. i dont struggle, worry or stress over finances
This, this is what I strive to be my life is, not worrying where I will get my next meal and my only worry is that I miss going to this place or going out with my friends having fun, working for money is soul sucking but hopefully I will not do it for my whole life.

Regarding hodling for a long time, I would brag to everyone here that I'm currently hodling a fair amount of bitcoin for about 5 years and it's going to be 6 in my birthday. I have been a believer in bitcoin and I swore to myself that I'm not going to sell or even touch that bitcoin until I've witnessed bitcoin get to a 150k and now that the bullrun is kicking off and a lot of people are expecting a new ATH, I hopefully would be able to get to enjoy the fruit of my patience.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 08:15:39 AM

So you haven't cashed out any btc profit at all?  Not even say $100 worth?  Surely you cashed out a very tiny bit of profit right like even that?  When I'm talking about real profit... I mean like 5 figures in profit. 

The thing is do you have a high paying or average paying or low paying job?  Can you pay for your living expenses without an issue on what you earn or is that a problem?  Do you live in a nice or average or cheap apartment? 

You said you haven't cashed out any btc for many years already so you would be considered a long term btc holder.  However, you have enough money in the bank and whatever you do as your job to cover your expenses right which is why you haven't sold the amount of btc you got from a while back?  Do you still buy some btc now and sell it for trading?  But the majority of it from years ago, you don't cash those out?  I got to assume you aren't living like a caveman now right?  By caveman I mean like living in a cheap apartment and low paying job and barely pay your living expenses and you not having much money in the bank.  I assume that isn't you right?  The thing is I want to know if there are people like that... yet they have a good amount of btc where if they sell a good portion of it, they could rent a nice apartment for a year or so etc. 
yudi09

Activity: 1176
Merit: 752

Rollbit - Crypto Futures

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 09:20:54 AM

So I'm curious.  Are there people here who bought btc or altcoins... but mainly the big altcoins like eth etc... that bought these coins years ago... let say at least 5 years ago or more and still haven't cashed any real profit at all?  Or is someone like that very rare?  Now let's say they might have cashed a few hundred dollars in profit at the most or 1000 dollars profit which isn't that much for at least 5 years.  Thus they haven't cashed out real big profit.  
El Salvador has not yet cashed in on the amount of Bitcoin it has. Urges to sell were ignored, aka Bukele still adhered to his firm principles, namely hedging the future of his Bitcoin investment.
Saylor and the microstrategy company, my assumption is that they are in a profitable condition with the amount of Bitcoin they have.

Other people who have less Bitcoin than Saylor and other figures, some may have sold to make a profit because they live on Bitcoin. Others may still persist with Bitcoin ownership.
It all depends on the purpose of the Bitcoin.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Nrcewker
Copper Member

Activity: 2212
Merit: 536

Promotional Campaign Manager|Telegram @NrcewkerBTC

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2023, 09:26:24 AM

I have many friends who buy Bitcoins at regular intervals, let’s assume every week. They doing this for many years as I remember. They only cash out the Bitcoins when there is emergency of money, otherwise they keep on buy these valuable coins. They really making good profits to be honest. They are cashing out also when necessary and still they have good amount of coins in their wallet. This all happened due to the price rise from 2018, till date. So definitely if you are planning to invest for long term, you will surely get profits.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2023, 10:04:31 AM

I haven't sold or used any coins that I have acquired, apart from a bit of scalping I did through CoinBase. In fact I have never sent anything out of any of my wallets, and I guess it's time I did this just to improve my knowledge. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of coins, as I collected them a few years ago in payment for domain names, and buying a few £500 lots in this forum.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 10:14:51 AM

ok lets really thrash this OP's scenario out in depth

so he has this certain person in mind:
a US person on min wage ($15/h)  - *40*52=$31.2k/year pretax - $26k after tax
so $2.166 a month after tax take home
$5k in bank (2.5months emergency fund)
~11btc hoarded(473k todays price of ~43k/btc)
bought at roughly $2k/btc ~ 5-6 years ago
ok so the price did not go below $2k post 2017-8 ATH so i will presume he bought mid 2017 at $2k
his risk tolerance is 1/3rd

ok. now im gonna imagine i was this person and play out how i would have thought things out over the years

i would not touch the $5k in bank to better my life. id keep that as liquid easy access money for emergency
i would set targets for my coin.. never to sell all 11btc(ops scenario amount)
but knowing last couple ATH did:
2011-2012: $0.30-$30-$6       100x up  5xdown
2013-2014: $30-$1.2k-$240    40x up 5x down
id anticipate a max 16x up in 2017 (last cycle max was 2.5x lower of previous multiplier)

due to ATH anticipation (halving+1year pattern=2017 imminent) of that 11btc id split that 3 ways.
1btc sell at 4x max ($2k/btc becomes 8k)
3btc sell at 8x max ($2k/btc becomes 18k)
7btc sell at 16x max ($2k/btc becomes 32k)- prefer not to sell but would if reaching max multiplier
(happy to sell 4btc of 11btc is ~ the 1/3rd risk tolerance of OP)

so winter 2017
btc does 10x max to 20k
meaning i sold 1btc at $8k and 3btc at $18each giving me $62k

the other allotment didnt hit. so i set them aside 7btc aside
now expecting the correction down to be 5x. id decide how i would keep some as fiat and put some back in
expecting $20k/btc ATH to get back down to $4k/btc
id want to put enough fiat back in to recover my 4btc atleast

meaning of the $62k in pocket ($15.5k average per btc) i would not buy at $15k as thats just break even, so instead
0.5 at $10k/btc ($5k cost)
1btc at $8k/btc ($8k cost)
2.5btc at $4k/btc($10k cost)

they all hit in 2018 meaning im back to 11btc and have spent $23k of my $62k to get back to 11btc
leaving me with $39k money to decide what to do with, so

this is where different people would make different decisions
(accumulate more coin or better their lifestyle)

i personally when seeing the price go down to $3.3k a couple times in a few months (below the predicted 5x of ATH correction)
would have bought more coin
i would have used $10k of $39k money to get an extra 3btc at $3.3k each
meaning $29k money for lifestyle and now 14btc

$29k is more then doubling OP's work labour income for one year.. so a nice 2 year of lifestyle increase to 1.5x. spending $14.5k in 2019 and $14.5k in 2020 ontop of OP salary
(based on OP's lifestyle scenario details)

its nearing the end of 2018 now i feel the market has corrected to bottom.
i would plan how to play the market with the 14btc ready for the next 3 years until next ATH

[ill leave scenario there at this point]

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Z390

Activity: 770
Merit: 314

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 11:47:09 AM

For many people Bitcoin is their bank, they don't have to sell all their Bitcoin because it's in huge profit, they plan to build their lives around it, some want to get retired having a good number of Bitcoin, it's the same feeling with Ethereum and other successful crypto projects but it is still a huge risk because anything can happen, I guess those people that do this easily don't have all their hopes on money, they are people who aren't afraid to live in any situations.

Some are big holders but they have other things bringing even more fiat for them, they enjoy having fun and traveling the world, something that I really want to end up doing in my life someday, I don't want to be chasing money all my life, it's soul draining, I hope this next bull market will be the end to all this and I will start enjoying my retirement.

I have started my journey with lots of worries, maybe I will one day be rich, maybe I will make it big and safe my families from poverty, maybe, just maybe, it is very tiring for me, I want to be free from all these, I hope my dream gets granted by the heavens.
Winterfrost

Activity: 690
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 01:09:56 PM

So I'm curious.  Are there people here who bought btc or altcoins... but mainly the big altcoins like eth etc... that bought these coins years ago... let say at least 5 years ago or more and still haven't cashed any real profit at all?  Or is someone like that very rare?  Now let's say they might have cashed a few hundred dollars in profit at the most or 1000 dollars profit which isn't that much for at least 5 years.  Thus they haven't cashed out real big profit.  

The question is, why would i be holding an investment for 4 to 5 years and have not cashed any huge profit. Its not possible. Any bitcoin investor from 2020 till date who have at least one bitcoin in his/her portfolio by now the person can boast of about 5 to 7 thousand dollars in profit. In fact only this year would have given the person that kind of profit.

The only way someone may claim they have not had any huge profit after 5 years of investment in bitcoin is because they are not consistent and some point in time may have switched to a different investment or diversify his/her portfolio with other altcoins that have made them to lose money. So by this they ae struggling to recover from loss and at the same time hoping to get some little profit.

Helena Yu

Activity: 588
Merit: 590

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 01:16:08 PM

1 BTC = 1 BTC, that's why they don't want to sell their coins.

If they have enough fiat to survive, why they need to sell their coins during bull run? they can hold it as long as they want and sell it whenever they want.

Not all people are traders (sell during bull season and buy back during bear season), so if you think become a trader is good, then do it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Inwestour

Activity: 1036
Merit: 987

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 01:55:36 PM

The question is, why would i be holding an investment for 4 to 5 years and have not cashed any huge profit. Its not possible. Any bitcoin investor from 2020 till date who have at least one bitcoin in his/her portfolio by now the person can boast of about 5 to 7 thousand dollars in profit. In fact only this year would have given the person that kind of profit.

The only way someone may claim they have not had any huge profit after 5 years of investment in bitcoin is because they are not consistent and some point in time may have switched to a different investment or diversify his/her portfolio with other altcoins that have made them to lose money. So by this they ae struggling to recover from loss and at the same time hoping to get some little profit.
It can be assumed that buying on the highs will make the profit less, but if you use DCA to buy, then in the long term it is difficult to make losses when investing in Bitcoin.

This is an almost ideal investment for patient investors, all you need to do is be consistent and never sell at a loss. Each time, a new bull run allowed everyone who was patient enough to make a profit, no matter what level they bought at the previous cycle. Now it looks like we are entering a new bull market as over 80% of Bitcoin holders are in profit, the most important thing now is not to sell too early.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Litzki1990

Activity: 1246
Merit: 346

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 07:59:10 PM

Holding your investment in a long-term plan means not thinking of selling that investment in the short term. Many have big targets and some investors may not reach that big target yet. I have profited several times by holding my bitcoins in long term plan but despite profiting several times since I didn't need the money much I reinvested in bitcoins and held that investment for a long time. There are some investors who have held investments in Bitcoin for a long time and their dream is to sell their investments if Bitcoin ever reaches $100,000. Long term planning means not to sell your investment for small profit in short term but long term investment plan is to hold your investment for long time in hope of more profit.

Duelbits
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
///  PLAY FOR FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
PLAY NOW
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 08:30:03 PM

ok lets really thrash this OP's scenario out in depth

so he has this certain person in mind:
a US person on min wage ($15/h)  - *40*52=$31.2k/year pretax - $26k after tax
so $2.166 a month after tax take home
$5k in bank (2.5months emergency fund)
~11btc hoarded(473k todays price of ~43k/btc)
bought at roughly $2k/btc ~ 5-6 years ago
ok so the price did not go below $2k post 2017-8 ATH so i will presume he bought mid 2017 at $2k
his risk tolerance is 1/3rd

ok. now im gonna imagine i was this person and play out how i would have thought things out over the years

i would not touch the $5k in bank to better my life. id keep that as liquid easy access money for emergency
i would set targets for my coin.. never to sell all 11btc(ops scenario amount)
but knowing last couple ATH did:
2011-2012: $0.30-$30-$6       100x up  5xdown
2013-2014: $30-$1.2k-$240    40x up 5x down
id anticipate a max 16x up in 2017 (last cycle max was 2.5x lower of previous multiplier)

due to ATH anticipation (halving+1year pattern=2017 imminent) of that 11btc id split that 3 ways.
1btc sell at 4x max ($2k/btc becomes 8k)
3btc sell at 8x max ($2k/btc becomes 18k)
7btc sell at 16x max ($2k/btc becomes 32k)- prefer not to sell but would if reaching max multiplier
(happy to sell 4btc of 11btc is ~ the 1/3rd risk tolerance of OP)

so winter 2017
btc does 10x max to 20k
meaning i sold 1btc at $8k and 3btc at $18each giving me $62k

the other allotment didnt hit. so i set them aside 7btc aside
now expecting the correction down to be 5x. id decide how i would keep some as fiat and put some back in
expecting $20k/btc ATH to get back down to $4k/btc
id want to put enough fiat back in to recover my 4btc atleast

meaning of the $62k in pocket ($15.5k average per btc) i would not buy at $15k as thats just break even, so instead
0.5 at $10k/btc ($5k cost)
1btc at $8k/btc ($8k cost)
2.5btc at $4k/btc($10k cost)

they all hit in 2018 meaning im back to 11btc and have spent $23k of my $62k to get back to 11btc
leaving me with $39k money to decide what to do with, so

this is where different people would make different decisions
(accumulate more coin or better their lifestyle)

i personally when seeing the price go down to $3.3k a couple times in a few months (below the predicted 5x of ATH correction)
would have bought more coin
i would have used $10k of $39k money to get an extra 3btc at $3.3k each
meaning $29k money for lifestyle and now 14btc

$29k is more then doubling OP's work labour income for one year.. so a nice 2 year of lifestyle increase to 1.5x. spending $14.5k in 2019 and $14.5k in 2020 ontop of OP salary
(based on OP's lifestyle scenario details)

its nearing the end of 2018 now i feel the market has corrected to bottom.
i would plan how to play the market with the 14btc ready for the next 3 years until next ATH

[ill leave scenario there at this point]

What you described in the beginning would be the example I want to use.  So say that person makes minimum wage and earns that and after taxes, that person saves pretty much nothing each month after living expenses.  And remember this person is living in a cheap apartment and doesn't very cheaply.  Also this person would own no stocks or property or anything at all.  Heck, he doesn't even have a car most likely either.  The only difference is the things and numbers you mention below that, you are saying this person did sell some btc during between the timeframe they bought btc till now right?  Let say in your example that person bought 11 btc back over 5 years ago or so and use the example of 11btc.  Let say this person bought 11 btc total but this was even before the price was 2k.  Let say it was like 500 dollars so many years more than that. So this person spent like 5500 dollars years ago on the 11 btc.  Let say around that time, he could have 25k in savings as well so spend like 1/4 of his living savings on it.  I'm saying imagine this same person still has 11 btc now but they only have 5k in the bank... and just like back then... they are working the same low income minimum wage job and just like that back, it's just enough to cover their living expenses.  But some months they have to go into their savings.  So back then they had 25k in the bank and now only 5k.  Of course lot of this will be due to inflation.

In you example and numbers you are assuming this person has bought and sold some of their original 11 btc right?  However, let say this person still hasn't sold any.  Or if they did, it might be a ridiculous small amount not worth mentioning.  Like 1k usd worth.  And now that 11 btc is worth over 400k in usd.  I want to know do you think there are people that are like this in this extreme situation where they spend either a decent amount of their money years ago buying btc and now it's worth this much and thus their btc could be worth 400k plus now but they only have 5k in the bank and still live cheaply and have the same low paying job as back then?  I got to assume there might be a few people like this but extremely rare right?  And if so, this person would be stupid because well not only they have 400k in btc or more... they literally have like 95% or more of their net worth in btc?  Well technically it's not 400k in btc or more because after taxes, let say it's worth 270k... though it's probably worth more like 300k or more since they been holding long term right?

Now what about the same person with the low paying job and cheap apartment and being cheap.  Let say this guy has 20k in the bank.  But back then when they bought btc, let say 11 btc as in your example.  Now let's assume this person bought btc when it was 300 dollars only on each btc on average back years ago.  So this person spent about 3300 dollars on the 11 btc back then.  Now let say with this person... this person had like 60k.  So 3300 of the 60k they had is a bit more than 5 percent of their net worth so they aren't as risky as the guy above who spent 5500 on btc when they only had 25k in the bank so that 1st person spent over 20% of their net worth in btc.  Now this 2nd person like the 1st person has only 5k in the bank right now along with the low paying job which barely covers their living expenses and cheap apartment.  And like the person above, their btc could be worth 400k plus and after taxes, they would have 270k or 300k like the person above.  The thing is their net worth in btc compared to the money in their bank woudl be like 98% or so?  Imagine someonw with 300k worth of btc after taxes if they sell and have 5k in the bank and that's all.  How rare would this person be?  Very rare right but surely some like that exist?  But almost anyone in this situation would definitely have sold some btc to get some profits right whether it's more  money in the bank or to enjoy life or at least get a better apartment?  Let say they only have their low income job and nothing else such that they can't do anything else. 

Would this person like the above person be stupid in the sense that not only did they not cash any real profit from holding btc for all these years?  And I mean real profit as in cashing out at least 5 figures.  You could say either of these 2 people cashed out 1000 dollar in profit but that is nothing at all if their net profit is 400k plus right?  But not only that... they would have 98% of their net worth in btc and only 2% in the bank.  Now what would you say about these 2 people?  Also assume they didn't buy or sell any btc between all these years like the example you provided.  And let say both of these people have a set target where I will continue to do my low income job and live cheaply and in the same apartment and be a hoarder with the btc.  Like they each might have a plan where I would cashout 1 btc once it hits 100k and that is all for now.  Then only when it's higher like 150k or 200k where if they sell half of the btc or more than that, I could then retire and live off the interest.  Would you say these people would be makinig mistakes here?

Also are you from the US or not?  The thing is let say someone could cashout all their btc and let say they have 2 million dollars.  I mean you can easily live off that correct and not have to work for most people as long as they are frugal right?  I mean let say 1 million dollars for a house that is 2 families.  You have 1 million left.  You have to pay property taxes and all that when you own a house.  But let say you rent a part of your house to someone.  That rent you could collect would easily pay any property taxes and utilities and electricty and everything right for your entire house and you still have money left over?  Now with that leftover money, you still have 1 million dollars.  Let say you put $700,000 in a CD earning 5 percent.  Now you are earning $35,000 passively a year.  You still have $300,000 in the bank.  That $35,000 a year would be more than the low income job you have.  So you can possibly continue working if it if you want... but you at least moved from an apartment to a nice house right?  But say this person doesn't want to work their same low income job anymore... well $35,000 a year from CD interest and house already paid off and rent coming in which covers the house property taxes and everything with money left... wouldn't this person easily be able to retire on this?  Or is my numbers wrong?  Of course this person can't splurge and buy multiple cars and go on lavish vacations but this person surely can retire and live off their interest and live in their new house correct?

I got to assume your opinion on this would be that person is making a big mistake selling all their btc right?  But that example surely sounds better than someone who continues to work their low paying job and same cheap apartment but could have 2 million after taxes but for some reason... wants to make sure it's at least 2.5 million or even 3 million after taxes?  Now that would be insane right?  The thing is you think there are people that might have 2 million dollars even worth of bitcoin if selling all after tax but somehow choose to live in a crappy apartment and continue working a low income job that barely covers their living expenses?
danadc

Activity: 1008
Merit: 341

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2023, 08:35:48 PM

It is very strange that those who have had Bitcoin for a long time and at this point do not have profits, if you do not have profits it is because you are not a hodler, it is because you bought bitcoin recently, and since the price has been increasing, things are not looking So much so, but everyone who has had bitcoin for a long time is in the green, there is no doubt about that, and if you are an investor who has been in bitcoin for a long time, it is not possible that you do not have it. In fact, I have read that there are so many bitcoin investors who They have not agreed to sell bitcoin even though they are in profits, this is what you have to see, you cannot do anything else , and if they do not want to sell and that their Profits must be very high, and they are probably very millionaires, it is because they think that bitcoin can have a high rebound.

I'm not saying that bitocin is going to reach a new ATH level, but if it can make a big bullish move and that is what many are waiting for , if you are an investor and you haven't seen profits, you must be doing something wrong.
bhadz

Activity: 2464
Merit: 566

Signature, avatar and text for rent

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2023, 08:37:56 PM

Let us just give an example and say that I am one of those people that have been holding for the last 5 years with the same amount. The reason why I am not selling because I am waiting specifically for a bigger amount that I can cash out big by that time. While it is seen that Bitcoin's price is going to keep on moving positively, this makes me optimistic to hold longer than to withdraw everytime the bull run is out but I am not sure where I'll spend that money. I don't want to let that profit sit on me because of inflation and that's why fiat sucks and bitcoin rocks. As fiat gets more inflation, bitcoin is more with deflation. So that's it, more about the bigger value that we can take in the future.

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
December 08, 2023, 09:05:28 PM

Are there many people that have say at least 3 or 5 or 10 btc or even more where they haven't cashed out profit at all and been in this for at least 5 years?  

Yes, I'm one of these people. I did spend some of my bitcoin since I got it in 2014 and 2015, but it was not more than 5%. I probably spent something like 3% in 2017 and another 2% in 2021.
So 9 years of holding, 5% cashed out.

So if you bought that much btc back at least 5 years ago, you are in profit with the current prices today pretty much no matter what unless you bought at the peak.  And if so, what is the reasoning for these people?  Is it because they want enough to retire?  Enough to buy a house? They don't want to dip into their btc unless they absolutely have to?

I'll give you a couple reasons.
-I don't need to sell
-I see a lot of value in bitcoin
-I have both fiat and bitcoin and when I want to buy something expensive, like a new car, I spend cash because my cash loses value while bitcoin gains it.
-I want to have a backup fund that nobody can take from me and that I can pack on a USB drive and take wherever I want without telling anyone and paying tax at an airport.

I don't live paycheck to paycheck. Bitcoin is about 60% of my total asset value, 30% is in real estate and 10% in fiat.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███