Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:45:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we spam  (Read 536 times)
Shishir99

Activity: 644
Merit: 379

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2024, 02:14:14 PM

Seems I triggered too many points here. I cannot reply to everyone but I would love to clarify what I said.

How is it the worst requirement when we have users that are producing quality contributions but aren't getting merits. We have people that takes earning of merits as a duty but we also have those that don't put too much attention on receiving merits yet they're not spammers.
Yes. I still stand by what I said. If someone is active enough in the forum shares his knowledge, and reads before they write, they should earn at least 10 merits in the last 120 days if not 20. How many members could you show me who are active in several sections of the forum but didn't earn at least 20 or 10 merits? Either they are not active, or they are stuck in a circle where merits are not circulating enough. I do not focus on earning merits either.

Don't use merit to judge the quality of an account as those with less merits can be a more quality posters than those with merit especially in the recent 120days.
How else should we judge the quality of posts? After all, merit was introduced to judge the quality of posts. If you believe some members generate quality content and they do not earn merits for their content, it's the failure of merit sources as the administration. Feel free to share who are those members who are generating quality content, I will report their good posts to get merited in some specific threads where merit sources award good posts.

You can’t put the blame on campaign managers. I have worked on many campaigns with different campaign managers and I can tell you that no CM wants a spammer on his team.
I am not blaming campaign managers for the spam. But, if campaign managers pay for the spam, they have to take the blame.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
January 01, 2024, 03:22:58 PM

If everyone were to report at least 5 posts they consider spam every day, it would quickly become clear to most spammers that such a method of communication is not worth it.
You really think that will stop them from doing it? I don't think so. It's like saying public display of execution of criminals will stop others criminals from going into crime? I haven't seen that method being effective in discouraging crime or has it been able to reduce crime rate. From my observation, I think campaign managers have a bigger input in this if it's to stop. If campaign rules are set to discourage spam posts and those managing them are strict in sticking to it, participants will sit up. There's no gainsaying about it.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Benedictare

Activity: 238
Merit: 54

View Profile
January 01, 2024, 11:19:54 PM

Spam has to do with unrequested messages sent in magnitude which are usually sent through email,  it is also shared through text messages ,social-media or phone calls.
    Some people spam for various reasons,  but some common motivations has to do with selling of services , circulating malware  or scams and the main reason of motivation of spam is to make profit.   

Spammers communicate their unwanted messages through bulk sending like marketing to sell their not requested goods. Spam seems to be lucrative especially when they sell products that are questionable. Spam is very annoying and can  be very dangerous    .

Spam messages usually come in a way of harmless promotional email  which are fraudulent.
Marvelman

Activity: 994
Merit: 137

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 02, 2024, 02:36:40 PM

/.../
Spammers communicate their unwanted messages through bulk sending like marketing to sell their not requested goods. Spam seems to be lucrative especially when they sell products that are questionable. Spam is very annoying and can  be very dangerous    .

You are talking about spam in a general sense. I think the OP was more interested in spam on this forum, which does have its own specifics.

Spam messages usually come in a way of harmless promotional email  which are fraudulent.

How can they be "harmless" if they are "fraudulent"? Besides, you said a second ago that they can also be "very dangerous". You are contradicting yourself.

Shishir99

Activity: 644
Merit: 379

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2024, 03:27:32 PM
Merited by Marvelman (1)

How can they be "harmless" if they are "fraudulent"? Besides, you said a second ago that they can also be "very dangerous". You are contradicting yourself.

Hehe. I am sure he doesn't even know what is he writing. Sometimes, The AI generates these shits and as you may know, some members use AI to write these shit. We have a member in our local thread who said everyone should wash their wallets to keep them clean but everyone was talking about crypto wallets. It is funny how this guy came up with such spam in a thread where we were talking about spam. LOL.

Benedictare, the spam you were talking about is unsolicited PM. Anyone can report them and they PM sender may get banned for doing it repeatedly. But, we are talking about forum posting spams where people rarely get banned for posting shit.
KingsDen
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

Hello Leo! You can still win.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2024, 03:46:52 PM
Merited by 1miau (1)

Why do we spam?
The right question should be, "why do spammers spam?". This is because it is not everyone that spams. These can be some reasons for spamming;
1. Some are natural spammers
2. Shilling projects
3. Difficulty in understanding English
4. High work load etc

Do you know that base on a research and observation in the forum I have not seen a clear advantage of spamming, and I have not seen any new accounts that is not in a signature campaign that is being tag because of spamming or have a challenge of spamming before why?
There are newbie spammers which is the reason there are some restrictions, such as not posting images till they earn a few merits and activity.

So I think that majorly the people that spam mostly is people that is controlling a numerous of account's and whenever they have a different account's they start writing a low quality post, I don't know if any one have observed that before, that what causes a low quality of posts and spamming might be due to alts, its better time to spread this information so that my own mates in the forum will not have same mindset  of spamming and low writing style.
One quality account is better than 3 spamming accounts.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Dunamisx

Activity: 854
Merit: 539

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 02, 2024, 04:49:10 PM

To say the fact, not everyone spams, but some do it deliberately while some don't even know how to avoid doing it because they never take their time in reading how they were being expected to make a post here unlike on other platforms, but anything you post and wasn't on track can be regarded as spam, therefore we are encouraged to always made the best of our contributions on threads to avoid rendering them into spams or off topic posts.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
GeorgeJohn

Activity: 1428
Merit: 658

Bitcoin is achievement

View Profile
January 02, 2024, 10:49:18 PM

To say the fact, not everyone spams, but some do it deliberately while some don't even know how to avoid doing it because they never take their time in reading how they were being expected to make a post here unlike on other platforms, but anything you post and wasn't on track can be regarded as spam, therefore we are encouraged to always made the best of our contributions on threads to avoid rendering them into spams or off topic posts.
Do you know that to span does not come intentional and secondly the reason while people span to different dimensions is due to signature campaign and again when they have no interest in post they will just type in order to meet up post targets or quota, I think that is the reason while they span

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
odunybiz

Activity: 630
Merit: 122

Epsiloan Protocol

View Profile
January 02, 2024, 11:23:56 PM

Do you know that to span does not come intentional and secondly the reason while people span to different dimensions is due to signature campaign and again when they have no interest in post they will just type in order to meet up post targets or quota, I think that is the reason while they span

Spamming may come out of ignorance about the rules and regulations of the forum. I observed people don't read about the rules and regulations of the forum before joining the forum. This may make them to spam. It's highly advisable for everyone joining the forum to read the rules and regulations of the forum well before joining so as not to go against the forums' rules.

SatoPrincess

Activity: 980
Merit: 703

View Profile
January 02, 2024, 11:49:24 PM

Is there such a thing as unintentional spam? I’d argue that a good number of spammers do not wear signature. Some people just enjoy trolling and derailing threads. It’s very common to see in altcoins discussions, politics & society and wall observer ( btw signature do not appear in wall observer). Many campaigns do not accept posts in certain boards because of the poor quality of posts in those boards. How long can a shitposter last in a campaign before getting kicked out? Also your chances of getting accepted in a campaign is pretty low if you are part of @actmyname spammer blacklist.

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
Patrol69

Activity: 546
Merit: 274

View Profile
January 03, 2024, 03:02:02 AM

Spamming in this forum is done from accounts that have zero rank or new accounts that have been created in the forum. In this case, I can see two reasons for their spamming, one is maybe they are spamming without knowing the rules of the forum and another reason is that they think that their account has no rank so spamming now might not be taken seriously. I only thought so from my personal point of view but something may be different. It is normal for a new member who doesn't know any forum rules to spam the forums but a senior member should never spam because spamming will get him a warning and his account may be banned. In addition to banning the account, the member may be removed from the campaign for spamming if he is involved in any promotion campaign. So it seems to me that most of the forum spamming is done by younger members of the forum.
letteredhub

Activity: 518
Merit: 202

If bitcoin be for me...

View Profile
January 03, 2024, 09:28:37 PM

There are many reasons why forum members spam apart from fishing for merits and  meeting signature campaign weekly quota. Some persons it could be they are spamming to achieve the total number of posts/activity that should put them to the next rank as they have already gotten the number of merits needed but activity is holding them down because their post count is below for the next rank. To some, which is a very weird reason actually, this persons assume that by posting in almost all boards of the forum a day will give them some recognition and this sort of excitement is mainly found with newbies.
tech30338

Activity: 532
Merit: 125

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2024, 07:19:44 AM

There are lots of reasons why there are lots of scammers but what I have seen are because of Tasks and airdrops as those who are finishing their campaign requirements, if you go on some who give rewards they will require you to prove you have finished the task daily, unlike those campaigns that will punish and remove spammers

qwertyup23

Activity: 2240
Merit: 787

View Profile
January 05, 2024, 04:39:30 PM

So I think that majorly the people that spam mostly is people that is controlling a numerous of account's and whenever they have a different account's they start writing a low quality post, I don't know if any one have observed that before, that what causes a low quality of posts and spamming might be due to alts, its better time to spread this information so that my own mates in the forum will not have same mindset  of spamming and low writing style.

People generally spam for post count. Before the merit system was implemented, lots of people would create accounts and post spam comments on various threads for activity points in order for their accounts to rank up. Now that the merit system typically abolished such abuse, spams are still prominent across different boards in the forum.

To be honest, I also feel perplexed and confused on why people spam in the first place. I guess they still have this mentality that number of posts = quality? Though I do not know for sure on how people apply for tokens but I guess they seem to think that the more posts they have, the higher the chances that they would be accepted in a given campaign.

In conclusion, people spam for different reasons but the common denominator is that they probably are newbies who know little-to-no english at all.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Charmekkd

Activity: 103
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 05, 2024, 04:52:10 PM

I also don't know for sure what causes some members of this forum to write spam posts. However, for beginners it is still normal if the writing is still spam, because they are still in the learning stage. But for members whose ranks are already high, I also don't understand why there are still people who write spam. In fact, if you look at the ranking status, it is clear that this member has received many rewards from his posts which are definitely of high quality. But why do you sometimes still make spam posts?

The answer may be because there is a posting target that must be pursued.
Or because are busy.
Or the member could also force a post on a thread he doesn't understand.

Because of the three factors above, in my opinion the quality of posts can decrease and they can end up being spam posts.
1miau
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 6740

Currently not much available - see my websitelink

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2024, 09:25:31 PM

After Merit dealt a huge blow to spammers, spamming is still a considerable problem of Bitcointalk, of course.
Main problem are signature campaigns due to paid sigspam and also paid shilling / bumping to a lesser extent because it's not really profitable.
Most spam occurs on our Gambling section nowadays but it's not limited to certain sections.

As said in previous replies, "natural spamming" can be a problem as well because spammers can customize each spampost to optimize viewcount.
Examples are fake translations, or similar.
Another issue are trolls, recent examples are the disgusting troll digaran, because he's just here to commit abusive trolling, derailing normal topics with his bullshit, his brazen lies, his malicious intent to divide the community or even spewing hate against valuable forum members like Poker Player, GazetaBitcoin, JollyGood or me (1miau). With such trolls like digaran, they are a massive disgrace and danger for Bitcointalk.
Same like shitposters, who have opposed my campaigns to create more awareness about writing quality posts.  Cheesy
Or jvanname, a retarded impersonator, whose defamations are completely inappropriate and he's creating new, useless topics every day.

After all, spamming and trolling is usually a true internet problem but hopefully, moderators will do their job and go against spammers and trolls, while sane members will always outnumber these abusers and the focus is clearly on creating quality content.
Merit was a good step into that direction, maybe a de-merit function would be helpful as well.  Smiley

After all, Bitcointalk will only stay relevant if we can offer quality content to attract readers and visitors, also from Google search etc.  Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Maslate

Activity: 2996
Merit: 677

Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!

View Profile
January 05, 2024, 09:50:39 PM

I don't think spamming in the forum is intentional. Some do spam out of their awareness that they are already spamming. Although most of those who own multi account may resort into spamming, but I mostly believe that those newbies in the forum are most likely to do spamming since they keep on flooding post with no quality content.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
doomloop

Activity: 2282
Merit: 581

View Profile
January 06, 2024, 05:49:23 AM

I think that majorly the people that spam mostly is people that is controlling a numerous of account's and whenever they have a different account's they start writing a low quality post, I don't know if any one have observed that before, that what causes a low quality of posts and spamming might be due to alts, its better time to spread this information so that my own mates in the forum will not have same mindset  of spamming and low writing style.
There is no need to wonder why people spam, they do it either to complete certain post requirements or trying to be active in the forum. Before, when there was no Merit system, people used to spam so that they can get activity points and then have their accounts ranked up, but after the Merit system, spam was relatively reduced, however, some things can never vanish completely, and spam in this forum is a thing like that, that's why, you will always find some spammers here and there.

These days, most people that spam are shill accounts which are used to advertise different platforms or projects which are mostly new and non-serious ones because the ones that are serious platforms or projects, they aren't promoted this way. Other users that spam are bounty campaign participants, mostly.

CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 4150

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2024, 07:35:57 PM

Yes. I still stand by what I said. If someone is active enough in the forum shares his knowledge, and reads before they write, they should earn at least 10 merits in the last 120 days if not 20. How many members could you show me who are active in several sections of the forum but didn't earn at least 20 or 10 merits? Either they are not active, or they are stuck in a circle where merits are not circulating enough. I do not focus on earning merits either.

I see you have reduced the criteria by 10 merits, it's no longer 20 but 10. I understand your point but I'm telling you when it comes to quality, merit isn't all that betters. Some local boards don't have enough merits circulating the board for people to be receiving more merits meanwhile their highest contributions are on their local boards and also some boards don't have enough merits been circulated there compared to other board that the discussion there mightn't be much of a big deals but because there's too much supply of merits, frequent posters on the boards get more merited.

We can't advice people to hurt for merit by going to post on those boards that there are surplus of merits because it'll lead back to spamming. You need an account, there are many of them but just a search and I found one example Abiky many ppople that have encountered his account and engaged in discussions with him on the forum can testify that he's a quality contributor but has 13 earned merits in the last 120 days and some of the factors contributing to this is because of his ranks and board of preferences. If your criteria was used managers will miss him for someone with probably less quality but a better merit receiving record

Don't use only merits to judge quality buddy, it's a tools to identify an account contributing positively to the forum but not every earned merits are for quality post. Merits are awarded for various reasons some earned just for their contents been funny or for artwork and other things.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jeha2015

Activity: 548
Merit: 167

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile
January 06, 2024, 08:47:43 PM

I don't think spamming in the forum is intentional. Some do spam out of their awareness that they are already spamming. Although most of those who own multi account may resort into spamming, but I mostly believe that those newbies in the forum are most likely to do spamming since they keep on flooding post with no quality content.
For beginners who spam, it's natural because they don't fully understand the forum rules. They need to understand the forum rules properly and continuously make improvements. However, for seniors who continue to spam, especially if it is done on purpose, this must be reprimanded, they only care about posts and don't think about what they have posted.

Most of those who spam like this are chasing posts for signature campaigns, not all of them do it, but this often happens, and yes for those who have more than one account. And maybe this is the last type of person who often spams, they are lazy about reading so they make a lot of posts that are off topic, even though it is difficult to read and understand first before replying to a post.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: