Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:35:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Github vs Gitlab  (Read 42 times)
jcuyvjz8 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 19, 2024, 06:41:25 PM
Merited by stwenhao (1)

Is Microsoft censoring comments related to git Pull requests or blocking access to discussions?

I think that Bitcoin node runners should be able to comment on Pull requests that are considered important to the state of the network.

I recently created a verified email account on Github so I could log in and contribute to the discussion regarding the controversial and now possibly defunct Luke-jr match_more_datacarrier branch and related Pull request.  After a few days of no answers to a question I posted, I discovered I was Shadowed Banned.  So I now have a verified email account with a Github login with one post and is Shadow Banned.  In my opinion Shadow Banning is a perverse and insidious attack on freedom of speech. 

So I decided to create a second account with a different login.  This time I was not even able to create an account.  After about 80+ captcha try's on two different computers using two different browsers and two different Operating Systems I kept receiving the same "Unable to verify your captcha response" error message over and over.  Each time you fail an attempt you have to start over from the beginning.  Amusingly there were some questions to which there were no correct answers at all so you are guaranteed to be forced to start over occasionally. 

I never was able to create a Github account that allowed me to comment on the Pull request.

Moving away from Github will probably not be very popular, but at some point it may need to be considered if the agents of corporate power become heavy handed enough.  Maybe now is a good time to start to look at this.  I am not sure if Gitlab will be an adequate replacement, but it should probably be considered.

In my opinion we are possibly moving into an even more adversarial environment.  I do not think that having corporate/quasi governmental agents acting as gate keepers in the Bitcoin development loop is a good idea.  See Whitney Webbs excellent work to get ideas on how this might play out.

More info:

https://github.com/luke-jr/bitcoin/tree/match_more_datacarrier
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/28408

https://news.microsoft.com/2018/06/04/microsoft-to-acquire-github-for-7-5-billion/

https://blog.kareldonk.com/github-shadow-bans-user-and-blocks-access-to-repos/
https://medium.com/@catamphetamine/how-github-blocked-me-and-all-my-libraries-c32c61f061d3

https://www.reddit.com/r/github/comments/aog2ig/github_captcha_stopping_me_from_creating_account/

https://twitter.com/_whitneywebb

stwenhao

Activity: 65
Merit: 84

View Profile
January 19, 2024, 11:07:57 PM

Is Microsoft censoring comments related to git Pull requests or blocking access to discussions?
No. But people resposible for a given repository can do so. The same is true in YouTube comments, and in many other places.

I think that Bitcoin node runners should be able to comment on Pull requests that are considered important to the state of the network.
How would you know, if someone is running a node, or is that person just pretending to do so? There is no need to even store the whole chain, to remain compatible with the network, and be indistinguishable from a regular full node. For example, if you would drop some data, which is never accessed, then it could remain unnoticed for quite long time (also because even if someone is doing Initial Blockchain Download, everything is not downloaded from your node, but it is done in parallel from several nodes).

I discovered I was Shadowed Banned.
In the modern Internet, it is normal to be shadowbanned. For that reason, I am logged out most of the time, and logged in, only to post things. Also because a lot of sites are tracking their users, and by being logged out, you can often see more subtle details here and there, which are hidden if you are logged in, and placed in some kind of informational bubble.

In my opinion Shadow Banning is a perverse and insidious attack on freedom of speech.
Well, this is just one more reason to have alternative accounts, and to be logged out, most of the time. Some people wonder, why I have so many accounts, but the truth is, that it is not just "good for privacy". It becomes essential for knowing, what is going on, and what are true intentions of many people. Also, after reaching a higher level in some community (for example being Legendary here), it is a good idea to post something as a Newbie, or some low-ranked member, just to see, if people still judge the content, or if they are lazy, and just merit something, because of the author.

After about 80+ captcha try's on two different computers using two different browsers and two different Operating Systems I kept receiving the same "Unable to verify your captcha response" error message over and over.
What about IP address? Was it the same, or different? Your fingerprint consists of a lot of things. And if you use Tor Browser, it also has some kind of fingerprint: it is possible to mark it as "a traffic from Tor", if you don't use bridges. And note that typing speed, mouse moves, and other factors are also in use, because simple captcha images are just too easy for bots, and too hard for humans. Fortunately, sites like bitcointalk can allow you to skip captcha, if you succeed once.

I am not sure if Gitlab will be an adequate replacement, but it should probably be considered.
There is a better way. A separate blockchain for cloud storage could be better. Imagine a signet, where blocks could be signed by anyone, and where you can freely choose the set of public keys you want to follow. In this way, it would be possible to switch from one group to another, without changing the whole system, just by ignoring some public keys, and picking a new ones, based on the content they signed.

In general, git as a system is distributed enough, to be put in a blockchain-based environment. Every commit has some parent, and all changes form a chain of diffs, that could be signed by the authors. Many things are possible, just nobody wrote the software for that (yet). I guess, it could be even compatible with centralized git servers, with some additional effort.

By the way: the discussion about Ordinals is quite hot, but it doesn't have to be. You can find out, what could be the consequences of blocking that kind of transactions, if you read more about UTXO flood, and other consequences. There are much worse things, than what we have today. Also because, as long as people are focused on Ordinals, they could be later removed in one shot, if you use a trick, that could act like OP_CHECKDATASIG on any committed data, with delayed validation. And there are more tricks under the hood, so it is good to keep those spammers in their current positions, to remove their spam later in a single move.
jcuyvjz8 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2024, 03:17:51 AM

you can often see more subtle details here and there, which are hidden if you are logged in, and placed in some kind of informational bubble.

Thank you very much for the response.

I think you nailed it.   I really like the analogy of the information bubble.  I've probably been in an information bubble most of my life.  Every time I test my assumptions about how things work my assumptions are always wrong. 

I seem to remember a lot of talk in 2017-18 in the open source community about what a disaster it would be for Microsoft to buy Github.   I forgot all about it, but here we are in 2024 and there is a lot of development going on using Github and nobody gives it a second thought. Yet another elephant in the room. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: