Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:34:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 chip temperature  (Read 93 times)
SolHarvester (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 04, 2024, 04:57:29 PM

I've tried different configurations with powering one hashboard, or all three. The hashrate is good and sometimes higher.
I've noticed one thing when I power one of any three boards, is it seems to want to stay at 85 C and doesn't budge, even when the ambient air is 10 C. Some places I've read that's on the high side and if it goes above that it will go in overheating mode, though hashrate doesn't seem effected.
If I power all three then some of them run cooler, in the lower 70 C.

Is that something to worry about if it one board wants to stay at 85 C, or is it fine like that?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2024, 05:35:14 PM
Merited by mikeywith (2)

How about the PCB temp under that hashboard?
You don't need to worry if it is a chip temp, but if it's more than the maximum temp it could lead to overheating.
According to bitmain the normal temperature range for this unit is range: 65 - 115 Chip max. 135 PCB max. 90.
If the PCB temp reaches more than the maximum temp this unit will automatically shut down.

Does the chip temp stay at 85c? if it's stuck there try to flash the unit to the latest version and maybe it's just a corrupted firmware that needs to be reflashed again.
You can also try to boot this unit with Braiins OS to test if the Braiins OS reads the temp differently.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
SolHarvester (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 04, 2024, 11:21:07 PM

How about the PCB temp under that hashboard?

Does the chip temp stay at 85c? if it's stuck there try to flash the unit to the latest version and maybe it's just a corrupted firmware that needs to be reflashed again.

The PCB stays around 65 C. The chip temp will fluctuate 1, or 2 degrees, but seems to favor 85 any time I do just one board.

I have thought about doing something with the firmware and may be good to do if it could run more efficiently, or display more accurate temps.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2024, 08:06:22 PM
Merited by mikeywith (2)

The PCB stays around 65 C. The chip temp will fluctuate 1, or 2 degrees, but seems to favor 85 any time I do just one board.

I have thought about doing something with the firmware and may be good to do if it could run more efficiently, or display more accurate temps.

You could also try the vnish firmware it has more features that you can use to find what chip that stuck on 85c and then you can set the frequency manually on that chip so that can still run the hashboard even if one chip is running at a lower frequency just get rid of "stuck 85c temp chip". You can check the image below to see what I pointed to

Then find the chip that is stuck in 85c chip temp and edit the frequency to lower until you get rid of the temp.
Since you don't have a test fixture to troubleshoot which chip is faulty vnish firmware can be used as an alternative to find the faulty chip.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████