Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:39:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now Here: Casascius 1000 BTC Fine Gold Coin  (Read 27691 times)
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 09:03:01 AM

kinda funny how that gold coin is worth practically nothing compared to 1,000 BTC now.

no kidding. just sold that coin in a fiat/btc/gold trade and lulz. gold is pretty worthless.

How much did you sell it for? How did you find a buyer?

$1,000,000

he contacted me.

WoW. Congrats!
I think is hard to say byebye to that beauty  Cry
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinFr34k

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 10:41:49 AM

Wow that's pretty damn awesome Goat. Congratulations, throw yourself a party! :p
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 10:44:52 AM

kinda funny how that gold coin is worth practically nothing compared to 1,000 BTC now.

no kidding. just sold that coin in a fiat/btc/gold trade and lulz. gold is pretty worthless.

$1,000,000

he contacted me.

Indeed, pretty decent investment Wink

The more important question though: where did you park the $1m in value?
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:38:12 AM

$1,000,000

he contacted me.

DONT answer this hahaha.  4 years from now, when bitcoins are 100k each, and this man is sitting on a 100 million dollar coin, his house will be a better robbery location than a bank vault.  And about robbing physical bitcoins like on a golden coin or paper wallet, once you have it, it's super easy to spend the money afterwards.

Then again, I'm pretty sure it's in a VERY safe place, and not under a pillow even today!

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:45:19 PM

$1,000,000

he contacted me.

DONT answer this hahaha.  4 years from now, when bitcoins are 100k each, and this man is sitting on a 100 million dollar coin, his house will be a better robbery location than a bank vault.  And about robbing physical bitcoins like on a golden coin or paper wallet, once you have it, it's super easy to spend the money afterwards.

Then again, I'm pretty sure it's in a VERY safe place, and not under a pillow even today!

Goat might have started a "country" by then (or w/e qualifies as such then).
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:34:19 PM

I just would have kept that purchase secret and enjoy my coin...
It is such a fascinating coin, worth more than 1 million USD !!!
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:42:55 PM

$1,000,000

he contacted me.

No way I would have done that. I would have demanded a high markup. This is a very rare coin so why only sell it for the btc value?

Even the 1 BTC brass coins sell at a 40% premium.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:55:19 PM

$1,000,000

he contacted me.

No way I would have done that. I would have demanded a high markup. This is a very rare coin so why only sell it for the btc value?

Even the 1 BTC brass coins sell at a 40% premium.

there was a premium.

btc was not $1000 at the time.

unless you sold when btc was under <$800 (why!?)m i would have assumed the 1000BTC bar to easily fetch >1300BTC from the right buyer.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:06:27 PM

the price was set around this time yes.

also i doubt there were too many people willing to pay $250,000 for a coin. maybe but i don't happen to know them. im happy with what we got for it but i do miss the coin. it was my favorite possession but with my travel i was not able to watch over and protect it.

No kidding, if I'd own a coin worth a quarter mill it would be my favorite fucking possession too.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 06:15:04 PM

Fwiw I think Goat got the very first gold coin I ever completed

It may have not been the first funded but was the first prototype.

When he asked me to sell him a coin i was on my way to Vegas for DefCon and didn't have time to make a new one so I grabbed my own prototype coin and sold it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:59:28 PM

Fwiw I think Goat got the very first gold coin I ever completed

It may have not been the first funded but was the first prototype.

When he asked me to sell him a coin i was on my way to Vegas for DefCon and didn't have time to make a new one so I grabbed my own prototype coin and sold it.

I told the new buyer this story and glad you confirmed it. At times i wish i did not sell it but with my travel im not sure i could have kept it safe.

Thanks mike for making some epic stuff!

And good luck on dealing with those idiotic regulating agencies giving you grief.
psyclon

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:01:03 AM

I thought trading BTC was illegal in prathet thai since earlier this year.
psyclon

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:25:00 PM

I thought trading BTC was illegal in prathet thai since earlier this year.

Bitcoin is legal in thailand. Just like gold is legal.

that is true as you say it, however, according to this article here https://bitcoin.co.th/trading-suspended-due-to-bank-of-thailand-advisement/ it is not legal to

Buying Bitcoins
    Selling Bitcoins
    Buying any goods or services in exchange for Bitcoins
    Selling any goods or services for Bitcoins
    Sending Bitcoins to anyone located outside of Thailand
    Receiving Bitcoins from anyone located outside of Thailand
psyclon

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:16:42 PM

The troll controlls that website. That is not a media source.

how about the Bangkok Post? http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/362222/bitcoin-declared-illegal-in-thailand
taltamir

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:47:50 AM

Didn't the last private company to mint gold coins got shut down by the USA and have all their gold confiscated?
dopey

Activity: 1008
Merit: 514

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:46:32 AM

Very cool man, great job.
taltamir

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:04:04 AM

Didn't the last private company to mint gold coins got shut down by the USA and have all their gold confiscated?

He was supposedly counterfeiting US dollars. That is not all what is going on here.

No, it was not counterfeiting US dollars. It made a coin made out of solid gold and the IRS argued that is counterfeiting because someone might confuse it for a "real dollar". Even though it looked nothing like dollar coins, and was made of gold
taltamir

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:07:28 AM

He was supposedly counterfeiting US dollars. That is not all what is going on here.

No, it was not counterfeiting US dollars. It made a coin made out of solid gold and the IRS argued that is counterfeiting because someone might confuse it for a "real dollar"

you do not know what you are talking about. trust me, this is not the same issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Dollar

They accused him of everything from counterfeiting to terrorism.
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:24:24 AM

No, it was not counterfeiting US dollars. It made a coin made out of solid gold and the IRS argued that is counterfeiting because someone might confuse it for a "real dollar"

you do not know what you are talking about. trust me, this is not the same issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Dollar

They accused him of everything from counterfeiting to terrorism.

You don't know what you are talking about.

This is Fincen stretching their jurisdiction pretty far to see what happens. This is a completely new interpretation of federal Money Transmitter laws at play here in regard to cascascius coins
Campsis

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

WW3

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:12:05 PM

This coin is now 400k $ lol

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: