Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:27:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If I were a government.... possible threat to bitcoin  (Read 1304 times)
semaforo (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:41:30 PM

I just thought this morning if I were the government of say, China, what would I do when faced to the threat to monetary sovereignty posed by bitcoin?

Then it hit me-

I would do exactly what auroracoin recently attempted to do- create an altcoin where half of the coins are pre-mined, secure them in government controlled wallets, except I would then do some massive fines and high profile arrests on anyone dealing in a currency other than that one, thereby causing demand to skyrocket and keeping me in power.

All of the advantages of cryptocurrency are thereby co-opted- it's like a pump and dump scheme, except that the pumping is done using the government monopoly on violence. Bitcoin would be relegated to the shadow economy.

This is essentially what was done with the US dollar- the pump was territorial expansion Mexican, Spanish wars, and the World wars. The dump is Viet Nam, Gulf war, war on terror.

I guess the risk would be a 51% attack from other countries would be possible, but the coin could be designed so that the ruling party always controls 51%.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:15:03 PM

The idea of a "gov" coin has been thrown around a lot but the problem is that it will lack the transparency of Bitcoin.  If they are fully transparent then users will know that a significant portion was pre-mined and is held centrally.  At that point, I don't see adoption rates catching on.  Perhaps within a singular country but certainly not globally.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
thaaanos

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 12:24:50 PM

A goverment can simply "solo-mine" create and sign every block on the blockchain, and propagate it.
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 03:48:20 AM

government coin is something like premined XRP / Ripple

look how they have been doing, like shit

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 01:27:37 AM

So I guess I'm saying it would be like ripple, except if you refuse to use it for your daily purchases, they throw you in jail. That would be one sure way to manipulate the value.

I can't remember where I read that when Marco Polo came back from China nobody believed him that the Chinese used paper money, and when they asked him how somebody would trade valuable stuff for worthless paper, the answer was because if you didn't, the emperor would kill you.
Lannister

Activity: 140

I'm blocking all private messages. Use Bitmessage!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:50:54 AM

So I guess I'm saying it would be like ripple, except if you refuse to use it for your daily purchases, they throw you in jail. That would be one sure way to manipulate the value.

I can't remember where I read that when Marco Polo came back from China nobody believed him that the Chinese used paper money, and when they asked him how somebody would trade valuable stuff for worthless paper, the answer was because if you didn't, the emperor would kill you.
they can do like that there
totalitarian government can easily do like that Grin
we will see Chinese Coin (CC) and 100% premine by gov Grin

No, I will not disclose my real name on the Internet. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about a free web. One mistake people often make is having the faulty assumption that knowing my real name or my association with a respected person, group or organization might get them to trust me more. In fact, I have no authority here. Elastic Project is a loosely associated group of developers which constantly changes over time. If you prefer projects with a more centralized structure, then please move on. Specifically, I kindly ask you to refrain from any messages that try to convince me of the contrary. My time is too valuable to be wasted with the same discussion again and again.
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:50:12 PM

Although- no one would want a coin that someone else controls all of, and there would probably be a big market for bitcoin or any mineable, decentralized alts.

And since national governments have only survived for some time by being able to control markets t some extent- with the issue/debasement of currency one of the main mechanisms of influencing markets/making friends, the nation as an institution doesn't have a very likely future in a world of decentralized global currency.
dpb

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 03:55:16 PM

if I were the government

Individuals aren't governments; governments aren't individuals. The state can only get away with what individuals allow.
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:39:41 AM

actually Jesus' execution was a case of mistaken identity... seriously, the actual Jesus got out of there. They just got someone who resembled him... yet another case of inept government...
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:13:13 AM

actually Jesus' execution was a case of mistaken identity... seriously, the actual Jesus got out of there. They just got someone who resembled him... yet another case of inept government...

Dude, you're baked.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:15:47 AM

Check it out   http://quran.com/4/157
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 07:06:28 AM

AUROracoin (marketed to icelanders) is just a weak limited premined version of bitcoin which is marketed globally

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Denni

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:29:38 PM

Dude, you're baked.

How high you have to be to write things like this?

semaforo (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:35:31 PM

Dude, you're baked.

How high you have to be to write things like this?

You talking about me or aminorex?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: