Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:53:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN TESTNET supply  (Read 184 times)
chainganginc (OP)

Activity: 298
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2024, 06:02:45 PM

When will the testnet3 reach its max supply?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2024, 08:13:43 PM

What do you mean? Bitcoin Testnet I think does not have a fixed maximum supply it's not the same as Bitcoin in Mainnet which has a 21m total supply.
The concept of a maximum supply doesn't apply to Testnet it should be used only for testing purposes by developers with no real value.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Yamane_Keto

Activity: 462
Merit: 486

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2024, 11:03:59 PM

Testnet is a different blockchain from Bitcoin, since it is different from Bitcoin, supposed to have no value and is used for testing purposes, why is the supply limited? Testnet3 was introduced to avoid the problem of high difficulty and limited supply would increase that difficulty.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2509

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 16, 2024, 01:02:31 AM
Merited by hugeblack (2)

Testnet3 was introduced to avoid the problem of high difficulty and limited supply would increase that difficulty.
Testnet coin versions are also periodically changed when too many people mine & hold them and even worse - sell them to idjits who think they have some sort of value. Each new version make the older ones unusable.

As has been said earlier it only takes a small amount of tBTC to test software and in most cases once your testing is done you are supposed to return the tBTC to the sources you got it from which makes limits a moot point.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7430

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 16, 2024, 10:36:19 AM

I think OP actually want to ask "When will Bitcoin Testnet mining reward (excluding reward from TX fee) reach 0?". Since BTC and tBTC have same method of supply generation, it'll happen on block #6930000. Current block height on testnet is already at #2582202. At current pace and considering people sell/buy tBTC, i expect it'll happen within 10 years or less.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
coinvader
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2024, 12:55:09 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2024, 09:34:02 PM by Mr. Big

I think OP actually want to ask "When will Bitcoin Testnet mining reward (excluding reward from TX fee) reach 0?". Since BTC and tBTC have same method of supply generation, it'll happen on block #6930000. Current block height on testnet is already at #2582202. At current pace and considering people sell/buy tBTC, i expect it'll happen within 10 years or less.

I will buy tBTC do you have any to sell?

Testnet3 was introduced to avoid the problem of high difficulty and limited supply would increase that difficulty.
Testnet coin versions are also periodically changed when too many people mine & hold them and even worse - sell them to idjits who think they have some sort of value. Each new version make the older ones unusable.

As has been said earlier it only takes a small amount of tBTC to test software and in most cases once your testing is done you are supposed to return the tBTC to the sources you got it from which makes limits a moot point.

They have value even if they were meant only for testing. The fact that users need them creates value and demand. without a doubt these testnet tokens will sell for atleast 1% of the main nets price eventually. Maybe even 10%... I think the testnet value can help the mainnet and onboard more users looking to try Bitcoin out before they go in deeper. It'll ease congestion on the main since Ordinals was created. gives a chance for newbies to get in on the action and actual hold some coins instead of fractions of 1. Its like a second chance to people who passed or get distracted.

I'm working on bringing value to the testnet hoping they wont reset this one since its been running for over 10 years now. The testnet should not effect the main in any negative way if Bitcoin is really a solid protocol. No worries just adoption the testnet should never be more important then the main but it should have value. less than 1% of the main net wallets hold most of the Bitcoin. When you got the CEO of Binance saying they have the power to rollback the blockchain is scary. No one should have that much power.

"Your only as rich as the people around you."
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7430

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 18, 2024, 07:44:02 AM

I only have tiny amount of tBTC and i don't plan to sell those. However,
1. You can try either tBTC faucet or exchange.
2. Depending on your needs, you could setup regtest (testnet on private environment) or obtain signet (newer iteration of testnet with few differences) Bitcoin.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Yamane_Keto

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2024, 12:57:50 AM
Merited by hugeblack (4), NotFuzzyWarm (1)

Given that it is easy to mine and that its purpose for testing, it is not supposed to have value, and if people continue to buy it to get an airdrop, Testnet3 will be reset with a different genesis block.

Do not put your money into buying Testnet3 or keeping it long-term.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2509

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 19, 2024, 06:51:24 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2024, 01:27:43 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Given that it is easy to mine and that its purpose for testing, it is not supposed to have value, and if people continue to buy it to get an airdrop, Testnet3 will be reset with a different genesis block.

Of course even though tBTC has no real value there are still idjits out there who will buy & sell it. When it gets bad enough with them doing it there be another reset making their stash unusable. They deserve to lose their money from doing it.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Yamane_Keto

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2024, 11:24:38 PM

Of course even though tBTC has no real value there are still idjits out there there who will buy & sell it. When it gets bad enough with them doing it there be another reset making their stash unusable. They deserve to lose their money from doing it.
In another topic, he was trying to buy about 50k or more. I don’t know whether 50k Bitcoin or 50k dollars, but if more threads continue like this, a reset will happen during this year.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
coinvader
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2024, 07:11:25 AM

There hasn't been a reset in over 10 years. The supply may reach its max in another 10 years. It would be stupid to reset it in my opinion but I'm aware it can happen. It is worth the risk now that bitcoins reward will be less than 1 BTC in 8 years. They should at least wait until the max is reached to see it complete and be tested. All of us will have disembodied before Bitcoin's mainnet reaches its max supply. We can at least get to see the testnet3 reach that point and experiment with it. It should bring more scarcity to the mainnet and push up the value. I could see a reset happening before or after max because of the low reward of the main. But they should leave it alone since its been over 10 years until it is complete!!!

"Your only as rich as the people around you."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: