Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:02:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why isnt there a bitcoin app in the amazon app store?  (Read 2332 times)
smickles (OP)

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 01:26:54 AM

I was recently playing around with a kindle fire, I noticed that there's pretty much nothing to do withe bitcoin in its app store.

Anyone know of a particular treason for this? Wouldn't it benefit 'the community' to have something in there?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 01:29:59 AM

I was recently playing around with a kindle fire, I noticed that there's pretty much nothing to do withe bitcoin in its app store.

Anyone know of a particular treason for this? Wouldn't it benefit 'the community' to have something in there?

You're right! There isn't. How good are you at programming? Personally, I suck, but if you know programming, perhaps this would be a great project for you to work on.

~Bruno~
smickles (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 01:37:12 AM

You're right! There isn't. How good are you at programming? Personally, I suck, but if you know programming, perhaps this would be a great project for you to work on.

~Bruno~

well, I do know a little Java. It would probably be a relatively big project for me.

Any ideas on what a good app would be. All things considered it would need to be simple to begin with since I have never made an "android" app before

Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 02:21:51 AM

~Bruno~

well, I do know a little Java. It would probably be a relatively big project for me.

Any ideas on what a good app would be. All things considered it would need to be simple to begin with since I have never made an "android" app before

Java, Python, Ruby on Rails. It doesn't matter. Mix and match. You're now on the right track. Keep us abreast on your progress. I think you have a good thing going here and it could make you some decent dough.

~Bruno~
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 02:27:58 AM

Python is a good language to start programming in, I was going to at one point, but I sit around on my rear too much as it is, I prefer to spend my time outside. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 02:55:31 AM

Python is a good language to start programming in, I was going to at one point, but I sit around on my rear too much as it is, I prefer to spend my time outside. 

This isn't about you and your ability to talk to snakes. Now be a good bear, BadBear! This is about getting smickles to Java Script a Bitcoin app for the Amazon Kindle Fire. I'm sure if he started an hour ago, the task at hand should be about halfway done my now.

If you run into any scripting related problems, smickles, I'm sure the users here will help you out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 11:23:58 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2011, 03:04:30 PM by jim618

Here is the Amazon Fire development FAQ:
https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html#KindleFire

It looks like it is running Android 1.6 OS 2.34 - Gingerbread.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 03:27:02 PM

The person who did the one in the android store just needs to copy over to the amazon store. Email him.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 07:08:27 PM

Looks like this project is moving along quite nicely, thanks to smickles bringing it up.
freemoney458

Activity: 62

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 07:58:15 PM

~Bruno~

Have a look at MultiBit. It is written in Java and its design goal is ease-of-use.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 09:52:50 PM

~Bruno~

BitcoinSpinner is an android app, its open source, and reskinning it to kindle should be straightforward.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 10:06:36 PM

This isn't about you and your ability to talk to snakes. Now be a good bear, BadBear! This is about getting smickles to Java Script a Bitcoin app for the Amazon Kindle Fire. I'm sure if he started an hour ago, the task at hand should be about halfway done my now.

If you run into any scripting related problems, smickles, I'm sure the users here will help you out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0
Java isn't Javascript.

"Java and JavaScript are two completely different languages in both concept and design!

Java (developed by Sun Microsystems) is a powerful and much more complex programming language - in the same category as C and C++."
-w3schools

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 10:27:22 PM

Java isn't Javascript.

"Java and JavaScript are two completely different languages in both concept and design!

Java (developed by Sun Microsystems) is a powerful and much more complex programming language - in the same category as C and C++."
-w3schools

Although I already knew that, I opt to write that post in a such a way as to affirm that I don't know programming stuff. In-genus, ain't I?  Grin
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 11:40:33 PM

I don't know for sure, but maybe Bitcoin Wallet for Android works on the Fire

Releases can be downloaded from here:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 03:49:12 PM

In general both the Schildbach Bitcoin Wallet and Bitcoin Spinner (as mentioned above) are open source. You are free to package it for the amazon market place. It simply isn't worth the hassle from the perspective of an Android developer to do so as it involves registering at amazon as a developer blablabla ... for no profit and barely any users actually using the app afterwards. Look at the Schildbach download count, divide it by 1000. That's what you can expect on amazon.

So for now I guess those few that really want it on the kindle should grab the apk from the web without using the store with its restrictions and legal implications.

I'm an android dev and compiling the Schildbach client is a no-brainer for me but the amazon legal fine print, possible fees etc. are nothing I have time for now.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
smickles (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 07:46:43 PM

Yeah, that's about how far I got. Then I went back to working on my minecraft (bukkit) plugin because I got a bit of a BTC donation  Grin
edit:spelling

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: