Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:58:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to use unused BTC adressess from dynamic wallet as a new?  (Read 292 times)
nakamura12

Activity: 2296
Merit: 669

View Profile
March 23, 2024, 10:31:46 PM

But otherwise as others have said already, you can use previously generated addresses as long and often as you want and it makes sense for you. Keep in mind that address reuse can have privacy issues. When you give someone your address, this someone will be able to see any previously received coins to that address in the blockchain. The blockchain and transactions recorded in it are public.
I just got curious - some of old posters here often put that in a signature and this is not bothering them at all or is it?
Many are not bothered by it because the wallet address that is used in signature campaign isn't the main wallet but as a means of receiving Bitcoin before it is transferred to another wallet for privacy reasons. Example, I use the wallet address A to receive payment and send the BTC to an exchange for example and buy different crypto or use a service and of course, you must pay a fee before it will received in your main wallet. I have other wallet addresses in my wallet created on electrum which I can decide to use the other wallet addresses or not.
user210822 (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 25, 2024, 03:19:41 PM

Please, read about rule #32 of forum's rules, there's absolutely no necessity to post multiple replies in subsequent posts within less than 24h. You risk getting your replies deleted and it's annoying to other readers.

If you want to reply to some different recent posts you can easily insert quotes from the Topic Summary below the reply entry box, there is an Insert Quote link in the top right corner of every recent post of the thread.

Regarding accounts in a HD wallet. You need to learn more about HD wallets and derivation paths. For a start, go here:
https://learnmeabitcoin.com/technical/keys/hd-wallets/
and
https://learnmeabitcoin.com/technical/keys/hd-wallets/derivation-paths/

I highly recommend to work through the Beginners section on that site, too. You can learn a lot there!

Accounts are simply like different branches in derivation paths. The common derivation path for native segwit addresses is:
m/84h/0h/0h/0/0 (equiv. to m/84'/0'/0'/0/0; master private key/purpose'/coin'/account'/external|internal/address index)

m/84h/0h/0h/0/0 -- first external (=receiving) address of first account for Bitcoin (coin=0) native segwit (purpose=84)
m/84h/0h/1h/0/0 -- first external (=receiving) address of second account (account=1) for Bitcoin (coin=0) native segwit (purpose=84)
m/84h/0h/2h/1/2 -- third internal (=change) address of third account (account=2) for Bitcoin (coin=0) native segwit (purpose=84)

Your Ledger X should use this common derivation path for native Segwit address derivation. But I don't use Ledger hardware wallets to know for sure.
Thank you for your good advice!
That seemed logical to me to underline thought of the commentator but I made several mistakes on the way...
Your links are valuable sources of study!
KiaKia

Activity: 700
Merit: 388

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2024, 03:28:07 PM

What's the name of the wallet you are using? I hope they give access to the used and unused wallet addresses? Because this is the only way this can make sense, I believe they are called HD wallet.

If you find it too complicated, get a Bitcoin wallet that only has a single address generated unless you want to generate another like when using a Trust wallet, there is no point in using new addresses every time, I found such a wallet to be very annoying.

This doesn't improve your Bitcoin security in any way, make sure you keep your private key or recovery seed in an offline location, not in any cloud storage, not in any online account or email, and also keep it to yourself only.
tvplus006
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1699

Instant cryptocurrency exchange with own reserves!

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2024, 11:54:00 PM

...How to avoid messing up with old/new addresses in any wallet that generates them each login?

You will not have any problem if you use any of the addresses that you have generated in your wallet. You can use a new address each time you want to receive coins for it, or you can use only one to avoid confusion.

▄▄███████
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████▄██████████▄
▄██████████▄████████████▄
█████████████████████████
████████▄████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀████████▐████████████▀
▀██████▐████████████▀
▀██████████████▀
███████▀▀

INSTANT 
██████████████████████
████████▀░░░░▀████████
█████▀░▄█▀▀█▄░▀█████
██████░▄▀░░░░▀▄░██████
██████░█░░░░░░█░██████
██████▄░▀▄▄▄▄▀░▄██████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████
███░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░███
██▌░▐█░░░░░░░░░░█▌░▐██
██░░░█░░░░▄▄░░░░█░░░██
███▄░█▌░░▀██▀░░▐█░▄███
██████▌░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████████████████████

NO KYC  OWN LIQUIDITY RESERVES  
 BTC 

ETH 

LTC 
 DOGE 

TRX  

BNB  
 TRC20 

ERC20 

BEP20 

SWAP NOW   
Cricktor

Activity: 784
Merit: 1137

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 26, 2024, 07:56:27 PM

I will repeat to say that receiving all your coins to just one address is bad for your privacy. Why is it bad? Well, if you send some amount of your coins (doesn't matter how much) to someone from your address, this someone can see all amount of your coins "on your address". Depending on how much coins you stashed over time, this might not be something you'd want someone else to know.

You can use a new address each time you want to receive coins for it, or you can use only one to avoid confusion.

Funny how you neglect the privacy issue I described above.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tvplus006
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1699

Instant cryptocurrency exchange with own reserves!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2024, 08:20:09 PM

I will repeat to say that receiving all your coins to just one address is bad for your privacy. Why is it bad? Well, if you send some amount of your coins (doesn't matter how much) to someone from your address, this someone can see all amount of your coins "on your address". Depending on how much coins you stashed over time, this might not be something you'd want someone else to know.

You can use a new address each time you want to receive coins for it, or you can use only one to avoid confusion.

Funny how you neglect the privacy issue I described above.

Do you change your address every week to receive payment for the Signature Campaign, or do you just advise others to do so? If this is not the case, then why don't you care about privacy issues when you receive weekly payments to the same address?

▄▄███████
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████▄██████████▄
▄██████████▄████████████▄
████████▄████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀████████▐████████████▀
▀██████▐████████████▀
▀██████████████▀
███████▀▀

INSTANT 
██████████████████████
████████▀░░░░▀████████
█████▀░▄█▀▀█▄░▀█████
██████░▄▀░░░░▀▄░██████
██████░█░░░░░░█░██████
██████▄░▀▄▄▄▄▀░▄██████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████
███░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░███
██▌░▐█░░░░░░░░░░█▌░▐██
██░░░█░░░░▄▄░░░░█░░░██
███▄░█▌░░▀██▀░░▐█░▄███
██████▌░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████████████████████

NO KYC  OWN LIQUIDITY RESERVES  
 BTC 

ETH 

LTC 
 DOGE 

TRX  

BNB  
 TRC20 

ERC20 

BEP20 

SWAP NOW   
Cricktor

Activity: 784
Merit: 1137

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 26, 2024, 09:08:18 PM

Do you change your address every week to receive payment for the Signature Campaign, or do you just advise others to do so?

Well, let's be realistic, any signature manager would show me the middle finger, if I'd try to change my receiving address for every weekly payout. I use different payout addresses for different signature campaigns deliberately and I'm aware that all payouts of a particular signature campaign go to one of my addresses.

So far I haven't spent any of the UTXOs from signature campaigns and before I will, they'd likely go through a mixer or into a Lightning channel, the current kyc-free exchange service I currently promote or whatever procedure I see fit to regain pseudo-anonymity of my signature campaign coins. I might throw them into a coinjoin later like what Sparrow wallet offers. There's a lot of options available.

You see the difference? I avoid to mix those coins with my other coins. If I'm in full control, I use an address for just only two distinct transfers: first to receive an UTXO, then to spend that UTXO and then not again, simple as that. If I'm not in full control and dependant of someone else, like a signature manager, then I have to accept re-use of an address. But that's rather a deliberate exception. I won't give a generalized advise to use one address only for the sake of ease or "not getting confused" or other silly excuses.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████