Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are you waiting for a 10% drop in price to buy more coins
i'll buy at current price - 28 (66.7%)
yes - 14 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how else is waiting for a sizeable drop to buy more coins again?  (Read 2440 times)
JohnOliver

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 11:48:56 PM

there are currently 3 times more bids than asks in the orderbook; in these conditions a drop is very unlikely.

Not that unlikely.  There was a giant sell-off not too long ago and the order book looked similar.  In fact, several times over the past 6 months there have been large sell-offs when the money in bids was significantly greater than the asks.

if i do a sell order of say 20,000coins at $1 each... (i wish i had 20,000 coins  Tongue)

wont i sell to all the bids all at once, so they don't have time to take off their bid?

That really depends on the exchange. In mtgox at least transactions are processed sequentially, so bots have enough time to shift phantom bid walls. If you don't believe me just try it yourself. If you sell a large order of coins at market price you won't see the USD balance in your account reach the final value instantaneously. You'll see it jumping up in increments. This all happens in less than 2 seconds, but that's plenty of time for a bot to react.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 11:56:51 PM

there are currently 3 times more bids than asks in the orderbook; in these conditions a drop is very unlikely.

Not that unlikely.  There was a giant sell-off not too long ago and the order book looked similar.  In fact, several times over the past 6 months there have been large sell-offs when the money in bids was significantly greater than the asks.

if i do a sell order of say 20,000coins at $1 each... (i wish i had 20,000 coins  Tongue)

wont i sell to all the bids all at once, so they don't have time to take off their bid?

That really depends on the exchange. In mtgox at least transactions are processed sequentially, so bots have enough time to shift phantom bid walls. If you don't believe me just try it yourself. If you sell a large order of coins at market price you won't see the USD balance in your account reach the final value instantaneously. You'll see it jumping up in increments. This all happens in less than 2 seconds, but that's plenty of time for a bot to react.

well that's gay, because of this the bid / ask walls mean almost nothing.

dose TH work like this too?
dose wall street work like this too?

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 12:03:16 AM

I'm not sure about that.  I think on MtGox the order is processed instantly.  It's just the reporting that's delayed.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
JohnOliver

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 12:21:25 AM

I'm not sure about that.  I think on MtGox the order is processed instantly.  It's just the reporting that's delayed.
Just give it a try. Place a large order and then immediately click cancel. If you're right then it should be all or nothing.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 12:24:02 AM

Just give it a try. Place a large order and then immediately click cancel. If you're right then it should be all or nothing.

Or we could just ask the MtGox guys.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 12:40:11 AM

I know I've seen large movements, all happen at once, with no ghostlines. Just the disappearance of $0.20-0.50 on the charts.
It is, however, sequentially executed. But, think about how fast a CPU cycle is.  Wink

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 04:46:30 AM

why would i buy bitcoin and then buy gold with those bitcoin??

1) to support something i believe in
2) to get something i think could be fun to look at, the gold...
3) to save money by buying my bitcoin on the cheep!

Why add another layer of fees and charges into the mix?  Why not go cash->gold instead of cash->btc->gold?  There are fees at every stage and you're adding more.

Just grab the cash and go to your local gold bullion dealer.  Support a local business.  You can speculate on bitcoin's price without buying gold.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 06:16:39 AM

why would i buy bitcoin and then buy gold with those bitcoin??

1) to support something i believe in
2) to get something i think could be fun to look at, the gold...
3) to save money by buying my bitcoin on the cheep!

Why add another layer of fees and charges into the mix?  Why not go cash->gold instead of cash->btc->gold?  There are fees at every stage and you're adding more.

Just grab the cash and go to your local gold bullion dealer.  Support a local business.  You can speculate on bitcoin's price without buying gold.

Roll Eyes

it could be that i bought my coins at 2.5  Cheesy
but i didn't buy enough for a 1oz of gold   Undecided

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: