Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:07:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: broke my avalon controller and can't find cgminer anywhere  (Read 325 times)
deusopus (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2024, 11:44:57 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Did you follow that link to Hagg's setup & use guide?
Start at section 4)2. which where you start by burning a disk image to the micro SD card. It then takes you through al of the remaining config steps.
The links in his guide for software are shut down so use the files you get from the link DaveF gave.
As for you choice in More Options: Lose the auto tune for one. The miner does it already. For the rest of the commands, use the ones in the forum link I gave earlier where I gives many different settings to use.

yes went through it. ill go through it again. i wonder what the firmware for the miners is and which image controller image corresponds to that. also i think my sd card is too small. its an 8GB. i ordered some larger ones from amazon. the only reason this gets me going is because i was 4 days away from a payout and i was gonna get one more payout before the halving. whoever set these up originally really knew what they were doing because it would always just work. i shouldn't have messed with it. they were screaming.

thanks so much fuzzy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 31, 2024, 12:08:42 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2024, 01:41:55 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Regarding the firmware: If the miner FW and software versions are different the miner GUI will still work fine but the miners either do not show up on the LuCl cgminer status tab or if they do show they have zero stats. You can use the upgrade miner button (I think located on the System tab?) to apply a different firmware .mcs files you have downloaded and saved on your PC.

Use the openWrT software image from April 2018 and the April 2018 MM firmware (or the March 2018 ones if you want).
This is cgminer status from my 841's but the 821's should look the same https://imgur.com/jcTE6fR
In that pic, under Avalon Device status the MM column is miner firmware version. All miners attached to the controller MUST be running the same version.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2024, 12:10:10 AM

Regarding the firmware: If the miner FW and software versions are different the miner GUI will still work fine but the miners either do not show up on the LuCl cgminer status tab or if they do show they have zero stats. You can use the upgrade miner button to apply a different firmware .mcs file

Use the openWrT software image from April 2018 and the April 2018 MM firmware (or the March 2018 ones if you want).

i just did the bare minimum configuration according to that guide. fingers crossed
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6263

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2024, 12:28:04 PM

Regarding the firmware: If the miner FW and software versions are different the miner GUI will still work fine but the miners either do not show up on the LuCl cgminer status tab or if they do show they have zero stats. You can use the upgrade miner button to apply a different firmware .mcs file

i just did the bare minimum configuration according to that guide. fingers crossed

Did it work?

If not post the log file so we have a bit more info to give you advice.

Also take a look here: https://www.zeusbtc.com/articles/asic-miner-troubleshooting/1653-how-to-troubleshoot-and-repair-avalon-721-741-761-821-and-841

With what you have posted so far it's a bit difficult to dig into it.

Side note, unless you have free or just about free power as in below $0.04 / kwh you are loosing money running these.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2024, 12:40:42 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2024, 03:33:31 PM by deusopus

Did it work?

If not post the log file so we have a bit more info to give you advice.

Also take a look here: https://www.zeusbtc.com/articles/asic-miner-troubleshooting/1653-how-to-troubleshoot-and-repair-avalon-721-741-761-821-and-841

With what you have posted so far it's a bit difficult to dig into it.

Side note, unless you have free or just about free power as in below $0.04 / kwh you are loosing money running these.

-Dave

they are working but im only getting 20 TH/s with three of them going. I was getting upwards of 40 with the setup that was on there prior to my breaking it. and yes i live in central washington where the electricity is 2.8 cents/kwh.

UPDATE:

well i effed around with overclocking and burned out a couple of my power supplies. now i only have one of my miners running but its getting a good hashrate considering how old it is. . Sad

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6263

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2024, 05:50:35 PM

they are working but im only getting 20 TH/s with three of them going. I was getting upwards of 40 with the setup that was on there prior to my breaking it. and yes i live in central washington where the electricity is 2.8 cents/kwh.

UPDATE:

well i effed around with overclocking and burned out a couple of my power supplies. now i only have one of my miners running but its getting a good hashrate considering how old it is. . Sad

$0.028 KWh I'm jealous.

Tough call as to buy new power supplies with the 1/2ing coming.
If you can reuse them on something else after might be worth getting a couple.
If you can't you will never ROI them.

I don't know if you can sell the units themselves. Considering you can get a new very quiet 4TH (ish) 160Watt miner with a power supply for $130+ shipping selling something that does 11TH (ish) but needs 1200 watts and has fans that are loud is going to take a while. People may want them because those old miners were just about indestructible and were fun to tinker so you do have that as a possibility.

Personally if I had the space I would keep them to tinker with.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2024, 07:52:58 PM

UPDATE:

$0.028 KWh I'm jealous.

Tough call as to buy new power supplies with the 1/2ing coming.
If you can reuse them on something else after might be worth getting a couple.
If you can't you will never ROI them.

I don't know if you can sell the units themselves. Considering you can get a new very quiet 4TH (ish) 160Watt miner with a power supply for $130+ shipping selling something that does 11TH (ish) but needs 1200 watts and has fans that are loud is going to take a while. People may want them because those old miners were just about indestructible and were fun to tinker so you do have that as a possibility.

Personally if I had the space I would keep them to tinker with.

-Dave

haha yeah. i live out here in central washington near the confluence of two rivers and there are about 4 dams within 20 miles so we have a surplus. remember the GigaWatt mining company? that was out here. anyway, yeah these miners are tanks for sure. i think my buddy has some more miners. i was just talking to him. he's the one i got these from. he said he could hook me up with some more better miners. good friend.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2024, 08:10:36 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2024, 10:14:19 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

For what is going on we need to see the cgminer status GUI page like I posted https://imgur.com/jcTE6fR
That in itself will show the main status of all miners connected to the RiPi controller.

Avoid the A921 & 950. In Canaan's rush to be 1st-to-market with a 10nm chip they rather blew it. Running full speed for just over 20Ths they are very hot and pull just over 2kw, Normal mode is a bit cooler, ~1.9kw & ~18Ths. 2x A841's do better... That said, as I posted in that setting link the A9xx are just as tweakable as the A8's.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2024, 10:18:12 PM

For what is going on we need to see the cgminer status GUI page like I posted https://imgur.com/jcTE6fR
That in itself will show the main status of all miners connected to the RiPi controller.

Avoid the A921 & 950. In Canaan's rush to be 1st-to-market with a 10nm chip they rather blew it. Running full speed for just over 20Ths they are very hot and pull just over 2kw, Normal mode is a bit cooler, ~1.9kw & ~18Ths. 2x A841's do better... That said, as I posted in that setting link the A9xx are just as tweakable as the A8's.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2024, 12:54:05 AM

So only 1 miner is connected and powered on? Obviously that combo of MM firmware and the OpenWrt work so as long as the other miners have the same MM version they should all work.

deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2024, 04:18:44 AM

So only 1 miner is connected and powered on? Obviously that combo of MM firmware and the OpenWrt work so as long as the other miners have the same MM version they should all work.

yeah about that.... just this morning two of my PSU burned out
deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2024, 04:23:09 AM

here is the readout now 6 hours later...

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2024, 04:49:49 AM

Looks fine. If you can get some A841's they are a bit better speed and power eff - just need a different Raspi because you cannot mix miners on 1 controller. Even at full speed the 841 only pulls ~1.3kw so a 1.5kw supply works fine.

deusopus (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2024, 12:37:27 AM

Looks fine. If you can get some A841's they are a bit better speed and power eff - just need a different Raspi because you cannot mix miners on 1 controller. Even at full speed the 841 only pulls ~1.3kw so a 1.5kw supply works fine.

thanks so much for your time fuzzy as well as everyone else that contributed to this thread. i learned a lot.

btw...

these are the extra options i am running...

Code:
--avalon8-voltage-level 8 --avalon8-voltage-level-offset 0 --avalon8-freq 800 --avalon8-freq-sel 3 --avalon8-fan 75 --avalon8-temp 70 --avalon8-smart-speed 1
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: