Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:12:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin Could be Beat.  (Read 5183 times)
EFFV (OP)

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:21:34 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 02:25:33 AM by EFFV

A picture speaks a thousand words. NEM.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ZVrzuS_krjRF5rMvt5oKl3IS3VOhF_qnn2faZb7KZQ/edit?pli=1

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EFFV (OP)

Activity: 278

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:33:58 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.4720

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:44:57 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 04:15:03 AM by salsacz

or use existing Nxt crypto platform:

one click to get to the Nxt testnet: http://nxtra.org/nxt-client/

http://justpaste.it/nxt-introduction-4-journalists

50.000 posts https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.0

and since it's not just about the pictures..

• Nxt's architecture is leaner and faster than Bitcoin's. The proof of stake mechanism is lightweight and block generation is 10 times faster. Nxt also doesn't support scripts/predicates, so transaction processing is easier as well.
  • Everything built on top of Bitcoin must inherit Bitcoin's speed, its proof-of-work legacy of waste, and its transaction processing model. Nxt has none of these, so everything built in top of Nxt is lighter, cheaper, more energy efficient, and faster.
  • Since anything being built on top of Bitcoin can also be built on top of Nxt, Nxt is the obvious choice.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:57:54 AM

Hello!  Are you ok?

btcpay86

Activity: 476

全球O2O消费商

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 03:36:15 AM

he is ok, i think Smiley

1. Jeunesse, Redefining YOUTH.  婕斯,重新定义年轻。| 该生病而不生病,该老化却很年轻,正是婕斯“沛泉菁华”的奥秘所在。
    为了大家实现财务自由的梦想,敬请关注婕斯全球直销网站: http://haccp.jeunesseglobal.com
2. 捐赠 Donations:  BTC - 12QSDXfUq6B2ywer8xJeQYbiV7A7E8yB3H
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 04:11:57 AM

That looks amazing.  It is clear that 2.0 is coming!!!

mining PoW is so 2012-2013

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:28:07 AM

just another altcoin advertisment... Yawn.......
....moving on

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 06:55:51 AM

if a government expresses to kill and acquire the pos cyrptocurrency then they can kill it by people panic selling to the government, until the govt holds 51%

in a pos
the rich keeps getting richer... its not really a fair way to distribute and acquire new users

if you have a lot of pos shares then you have less incentive to spend vs hoard thus mining more by hoarding

these are very strong weaknesses with pos compared to pow

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:15:16 AM

Tell this to owners of PoW coins that were 51% attacked. R u able to recall a PoS coin that was 51% bought?
evanxxx

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:25:15 AM

if you have a lot of pos shares then you have less incentive to spend vs hoard thus mining more by hoarding

forging/mining income for PoS is only comparable to bank interest. how much incentive do you think bank interest gives people to hoard instead of spending?
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:54:37 AM

Tell this to owners of PoW coins that were 51% attacked. R u able to recall a PoS coin that was 51% bought?

The misconception is that you actually need 51% of the coins in order to do a 51% attack on a POS Wink
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:55:47 AM

The misconception is that you actually need 51% of the coins in order to do a 51% attack on a POS Wink

True. In Nxt u must buy 90% to attack it. Wink
LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 08:06:06 AM

I'm very interested in PoW VS PoS debate as i'm sure PoW will have to face a lot of hard issues in the future.

From reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1oi7su/criticisms_of_proofofstake/ccsd6rm:

I think Andrew Miller put it best: "The trouble with Proof-of-stake is that there is nothing at stake."

Consider the basic function of proof-of-work and the blockchain: together, they let the network come to a consensus when there are two (or more) different, competing chains.

Miners must decide to dedicate their hashing power to just one chain-- they cannot "bet on" more than one. So their best strategy is to work on the chain that they think most other miners are working on, and that quickly drives the system to a consensus on a single, best chain.

The trouble with proof-of-stake is there is no natural incentive stopping a miner from assigning their stake to multiple, competing chains. If you try to create such a system, you "go meta" -- you started by trying to solve the transaction double-spend problem (which proof-of-work and the blockchain handle nicely), and end up trying to solve a proof-of-stake double-spend problem.

How do NEM or NXT address this problem?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 08:14:35 AM

I'm very interested in PoW VS PoS debate as i'm sure PoW will have to face a lot of hard issues in the future.

From reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1oi7su/criticisms_of_proofofstake/ccsd6rm:

I think Andrew Miller put it best: "The trouble with Proof-of-stake is that there is nothing at stake."

Consider the basic function of proof-of-work and the blockchain: together, they let the network come to a consensus when there are two (or more) different, competing chains.

Miners must decide to dedicate their hashing power to just one chain-- they cannot "bet on" more than one. So their best strategy is to work on the chain that they think most other miners are working on, and that quickly drives the system to a consensus on a single, best chain.

The trouble with proof-of-stake is there is no natural incentive stopping a miner from assigning their stake to multiple, competing chains. If you try to create such a system, you "go meta" -- you started by trying to solve the transaction double-spend problem (which proof-of-work and the blockchain handle nicely), and end up trying to solve a proof-of-stake double-spend problem.

Nxt uses Transparent Forging to counteract malicious miners who mine multiple chains. As a result such weak point as ability to mine multiple chains becomes a strong one. Legit miners get chance to mine legit parallel chains and this leads to insane performance optimization.
zhuaihdd

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:21:47 AM

Hello!  Are you ok?
I think he should be very good now Wink
department

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 02:51:13 PM by department

I don't know much about Bitcoin though I read the whitepaper. I only used it to buy Nxt.  Wink

Edit: Hardcoded well-known nodes lead to centralization. This is just another one of the cases where Nxt is more decentralizing than Bitcoin.
LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 09:36:42 AM

Nxt uses Transparent Forging to counteract malicious miners who mine multiple chains. As a result such weak point as ability to mine multiple chains becomes a strong one. Legit miners get chance to mine legit parallel chains and this leads to insane performance optimization.

Interesting TY

Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:44:20 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 03:15:05 PM by Ix

I don't really see how calling a bug a feature makes it a feature. In what way does transparent forging counteract malicious miners? And why does having multiple consensus chains lead to performance optimizations? (That seems quite counter-intuitive.) How is consensus eventually achieved?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:43:21 PM

I don't really see how calling a bug a feature makes it a feature. In what way does transparent forging counteract malicious miners? And why does having multiple consensus chains lead to performance optimizations? (That seems quite counter-intuitive.) How is consensus eventually achieved?

Oh, troll much, such cute.
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:56:51 PM

Oh, troll much, such cute.

You completely evaded the question and promoted what should be a critical failure (allowing double spends and providing no real means of consensus) as some feature of the currency. I'd say you're the one trolling.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: