Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:41:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Python based Solo miner for CPU | Learn Basic Bitcoin Mining | Just for fun  (Read 581 times)
vshoes

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2024, 12:32:46 PM

One more q for anyone who might be able to answer;

Code:
        if hash < target :
    #    if(hash[:10] == '0000000000'):
            print('success!!')
            print('hash: {}'.format(hash))
            payload = bytes('{"params": ["'+address+'", "'+job_id+'", "'+extranonce2 \
                +'", "'+ntime+'", "'+nonce+'"], "id": 1, "method": "mining.submit"}\n', 'utf-8')
            sock.sendall(payload)
            print(sock.recv(1024))
            input("Press Enter to continue...")

Why are we evaluating hash < target? Shouldn't that be

Code:
if hash == target:
     print('success!!')
Flavatron

Activity: 38
Merit: 22

View Profile
March 07, 2024, 01:05:29 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

One more q for anyone who might be able to answer;

Code:
        if hash < target :
    #    if(hash[:10] == '0000000000'):
            print('success!!')
            print('hash: {}'.format(hash))
            payload = bytes('{"params": ["'+address+'", "'+job_id+'", "'+extranonce2 \
                +'", "'+ntime+'", "'+nonce+'"], "id": 1, "method": "mining.submit"}\n', 'utf-8')
            sock.sendall(payload)
            print(sock.recv(1024))
            input("Press Enter to continue...")

Why are we evaluating hash < target? Shouldn't that be

Code:
if hash == target:
     print('success!!')

No, it should be < the target ( not equal to it).

When mining Bitcoin , the goal is to find a hash that is not equal to the target(near impossible), but less than the target value(probalistic).  The target is a 256-bit number that the network adjusts every 2016 blocks to ensure that the time between blocks remains approximately 10 minutes on average.  A lower target means a higher difficulty in finding a valid block.

The hashing process is essentially a race to find a nonce value that, when combined with the block's header data(which itself contains the Merkle root of the previous blocks tx) and passed through the SHA-256 hashing algorithm twice, produces a hash value that is less than the network-defined target, which everyone can easily verify for themselves too.

Therefore the condition, in the educational example,  if hash < target: is correct because you are looking for a hash that is numerically less than the target.
vshoes

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 08, 2024, 09:56:49 AM

No, it should be < the target ( not equal to it).

When mining Bitcoin , the goal is to find a hash that is not equal to the target(near impossible), but less than the target value(probalistic).  The target is a 256-bit number that the network adjusts every 2016 blocks to ensure that the time between blocks remains approximately 10 minutes on average.  A lower target means a higher difficulty in finding a valid block.

The hashing process is essentially a race to find a nonce value that, when combined with the block's header data(which itself contains the Merkle root of the previous blocks tx) and passed through the SHA-256 hashing algorithm twice, produces a hash value that is less than the network-defined target, which everyone can easily verify for themselves too.

Therefore the condition, in the educational example,  if hash < target: is correct because you are looking for a hash that is numerically less than the target.

Thank you so much! I have just had to destroy my entire (wrong) understanding of how mining works, and remake it again from scratch!
rostep

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 09, 2024, 11:48:34 PM

Helo,

In the script, during the loop on the nonce, merkle_root and ctx.ntime keep the same value. But, I discover that, during this loop, while continue listening socket, ctx.job_id, ctx.coinb1, ctx.coinb2, ctx.ntime, and ctx.merkle_branch change the value. So, during the loop we have an very old value of merkle_root and ctx.ntime which are not updated.

Do you think that, we have to always listening the socket during the loop and update the value of merkle_root and ctx.ntime, according to what we receive?
Nexus9090

Activity: 100
Merit: 44

Beam me up Scotty

View Profile
April 11, 2024, 03:37:48 PM

I find this thread really quite interesting.

I've been wondering what the payloads look like going back and forth.

This simple script goes a long way to explaining it, thank you.

I may even give it a go, just to see how slow it is Wink

Thanks

G.

Donations greatfully received : 3MbtxahpbkC1fGhvcWR7Ja38u8cwN9wzY8
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: