Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:59:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain as a Geopolitical Tool: The US-Russia Tech Rivalry Solana & Ethereum  (Read 48 times)
MemeInSight (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2024, 01:20:18 PM

In the realm of global politics, technology often serves as both a battleground and a tool of influence. Today, I'd like to open a discussion on the geopolitical aspects of blockchain technology, particularly focusing on Solana and Ethereum, and how their origins and technological advancements may play into the larger US-Russia tech rivalry.

Founders’ Backgrounds and Geopolitical Significance:

Solana's US Ties: Anatoly Yakovenko, co-founder and CEO of Solana Labs, was born under Soviet rule in what is now Ukraine, moving to America at age 11. His leadership at Solana highlights a significant US stake in the blockchain space, potentially positioning Solana as a key player in the US's technology arsenal.

Ethereum's Russian Connection: Vitalik Buterin, born in Russia, is one of Ethereum's co-founders. Ethereum is often perceived as a technological asset that Russia might claim some informal stake in, due to Buterin's heritage.

Geopolitical Dynamics and Crypto:

US vs. Russia Technology Rivalry: With the rising tensions and technological competition between the US and Russia, blockchain technology becomes more than just a financial tool—it transforms into a symbol of technological prowess.

Impact of Solana's Growth: Should Solana's value spike, it could be seen as a win for US technology, contributing to its image of superiority in the high-tech sector as blockchain technology is increasingly viewed through the lens of national success and pride.

Economic Warfare and Blockchain:

Financial Support as Proxy Warfare: Without engaging in physical conflict, supporting technologies like Solana can be seen as backing the US in a form of 'economic warfare.' By promoting and investing in US-led blockchain innovations, allies indirectly participate in a broader strategic contest against rivals like Russia and the potential to bolster a nation’s technological standing.

Discussion Points:

How do you perceive the role of blockchain technology in global geopolitics?

Could the success of blockchain projects like Solana be considered a form of soft power exerted by the US?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
legiteum

Activity: 140
Merit: 43

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2024, 01:45:16 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2024, 04:02:43 PM by legiteum

Could the success of blockchain projects like Solana be considered a form of soft power exerted by the US?

The only significant difference between Bitcoin and the other top-10 currencies, from the standpoint of the average consumer, is the price. All of these products do exactly the same thing. If there are technical differences between Bitcoin and Solana, for instance, they are not visible in any way to almost all of the users of these products.

This is unlike, say, electric car technology, wherein there are cars with greater range, a cheaper price, more performance, faster charging, and longer lifespan--and much more.

Cryptocurrencies have very limited practical use and are simply investment instruments for nearly all of their users.

As such, I would say there's no geopolitical significance to these products at all.

Read about our revolutionary new digital currency paradigm:Block. Split. Combine.
MemeInSight (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2024, 01:47:37 PM

The only significant difference between Bitcoin and the other top-10 currencies, from the standpoint of the average consumer, is the price. All of these products do exactly the same thing. If there are technical difference between Bitcoin and Solana, for instance, they are not visible in any way to almost all of the users of these products.

This is unlike, say, electric car technology, wherein there are cars with greater range, a cheaper price, more performance, faster charging, and longer lifespan--and much more.

Cryptocurrencies have very limited practical use and are simply investment instruments for nearly all of their users.

As such, I would say there's no geopolitical significance to these products at all.

That comment is not going to sit well with a lot of Blockchain advocates, did you really say blockchain/crypto has no use case outside of simple investment instruments? Lol you really think people on this forum will believe that.

would love to read on what the community has to say, does Blockchain/Crypto have use cases outside of simply being an investment instrument?
legiteum

Activity: 140
Merit: 43

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2024, 04:36:23 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2024, 02:09:04 AM by legiteum

That comment is not going to sit well with a lot of Blockchain advocates, did you really say blockchain/crypto has no use case outside of simple investment instruments? Lol you really think people on this forum will believe that.

would love to read on what the community has to say, does Blockchain/Crypto have use cases outside of simply being an investment instrument?

Some might take offense, I suppose, but I've pointed the same thing out in other posts and most people agree with me. After 14 years of Bitcoin trying to be something else, it has never evolved past a simple meme investment for almost all of its holders. People who have been around Bitcoin for a long time are tired of waiting for "something" to happen to prove this wrong.

As for blockchain as an architecture, I have posted here several times asking for documented design wins for blockchain as an architecture outside of the realm of crypt/NFTs. I've posted the same question in many other places as well. So far I have received zero documented cases of blockchain increasing ROI, reducing costs, adding to customer functionality, and so forth--in other words, all of those things that every other new technologies are judged on (not that blockchain is "new" anymore).

And to be clear, I didn't say all use cases, I said most. Most holders of Bitcoin and other cryptos don't hold their own keys, for instance, which means they are not actually using blockchain. Very few people have a need to hide their transactions from government subpoenas, and are fine with the sort of privacy that a trusted company gives them like their bank or broker.

So there is clearly a niche need for those needing to keep their transactions secret from governments, but that niche is pretty small.

Read about our revolutionary new digital currency paradigm:Block. Split. Combine.
aoluain
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1256

View Profile
April 17, 2024, 09:37:21 PM

The only significant difference between Bitcoin and the other top-10 currencies, from the standpoint of the average consumer, is the price. All of these products do exactly the same thing. If there are technical difference between Bitcoin and Solana, for instance, they are not visible in any way to almost all of the users of these products.

No is my answer.
But I'm not including Bitcoin in that Blockchain/Crypto category in this case because
we all know the benefits Bitcoin provides.

In terms of geopolitical tools used by the US and Russia with Solana and Ethereum,
I dont care because I dont have either. Ethereum is centralised and Solana probably is
too, that alone goes against Bitcoin. So yea if they are going to be used as Geopolitical
tools, let them have them.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████