Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:16:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with a bit of information on mining history  (Read 73 times)
The Hidebehinder (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 22, 2024, 01:55:36 PM

I'm not a newbie by any means more of a lurker but reading lately a few topics about mining and the speculation on price I've started to think about another kind of relation between the piece and the hashrate as well as the chain security, it's a bit fuzzy in my mind and I don't have a clear path to it, I'm too much focused on the result than how to arrive the there that I would need a bit of help with some information

- What were the key moments in ASIC releases, or what models did have a huge impact on the hashrate?
I should choose the S3,S9,S17,S19 for this considering them a game changer?
- What would be a realistic time frame since launch of a new generation ASIC to consider it dominant in making the overall hashrate?
- What would be the lifetime of an ASIC on average?
- Is it safe to consider a miner with extremely cheap energy keeping on mining with an old but still profitable gear till the gears fails?
- What is more plausible, a  12 or 24 month ROI plan for miners?

Thanks in advance, I know the questions might sound silly but if anyone is willing to shed some light?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7463

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 30, 2024, 08:56:28 AM

I'm not a newbie by any means more of a lurker but reading lately a few topics about mining and the speculation on price I've started to think about another kind of relation between the piece and the hashrate as well as the chain security, it's a bit fuzzy in my mind and I don't have a clear path to it, I'm too much focused on the result than how to arrive the there that I would need a bit of help with some information

- What were the key moments in ASIC releases, or what models did have a huge impact on the hashrate?
I should choose the S3,S9,S17,S19 for this considering them a game changer?

Bitcoin Mining Museum[1] can partially answer your question. That website contain history of Bitcoin mining along with popular hardware at certain time.

- What would be a realistic time frame since launch of a new generation ASIC to consider it dominant in making the overall hashrate?

Only ASIC company can answer that. But FWIW, there's almost 4 years gap between release of Antminer S19[1] and Antminer S21[3].

- What would be the lifetime of an ASIC on average?

Compass Mining (which is known for mining hosting service) says 3-5 years[4].

- Is it safe to consider a miner with extremely cheap energy keeping on mining with an old but still profitable gear till the gears fails?

Yes, i've seen some miner claim they're doing that since old ASIC have low resell value.

[1] https://bitcoinminingmuseum.com/
[2] https://www.asicminervalue.com/miners/bitmain/antminer-s19-95th
[3] https://www.asicminervalue.com/miners/bitmain/antminer-s21-200th
[4] https://compassmining.io/education/how-long-do-asics-last/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Yamane_Keto

Activity: 476
Merit: 486

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2024, 11:04:09 AM

Mining is a business activity. If you can get old gear at a low price, immediate delivery, and have cheap electricity, it will be better than buying the latest equipment and waiting several months.
Miners cannot mine at a loss, everything must be carefully calculated.

Bitcoin Mining Museum[1] can partially answer your question. That website contain history of Bitcoin mining along with popular hardware at certain time.
Thanks for the link, I did not know that BITMAN had USB Bitcoin miner BITMAN U1,U2

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
The Hidebehinder (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 30, 2024, 08:21:19 PM

Thanks for the links, I'm trying to put together something about the security of the chain for a week but it's really far more complicated than I thought, sounded like a fun essay in my mind but it way over my head.

Miners cannot mine at a loss, everything must be carefully calculated.

I read conflicting statements about that, hard for me to grasp but some guys talked about stopping mining when at a loss being even more of a loss, I understand that this would have been the case for companies not home miners but at the same time I don't think one could get their hands on the accounting sheets of a large company.

BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2024, 11:48:49 PM

Thanks for the link, I did not know that BITMAN had USB Bitcoin miner BITMAN U1,U2

Thats the first ASIC miner in USB stick they release before the Antminer s1.
It's not worth buying this USB stick right now because compac F usbminer is far superior than these miner. So if you are planning to buy u1 or u2 go for compact f sidehack might still selling this unit.

Quote from: The Hidebehinder
I read conflicting statements about that, hard for me to grasp but some guys talked about stopping mining when at a loss being even more of a loss, I understand that this would have been the case for companies not home miners but at the same time I don't think one could get their hands on the accounting sheets of a large company.

Mining with ASIC and profitability depends on where you live and the electricity current rate we have a sticky thread here on miner support that will gives you idea before deciding to enter into this business check the link below.

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4636521.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7463

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
May 01, 2024, 11:34:00 AM

Thanks for the links, I'm trying to put together something about the security of the chain for a week but it's really far more complicated than I thought, sounded like a fun essay in my mind but it way over my head.

Yeah, security of Bitcoin blockchain could be very complicated. Although if you're writing essay for school or university homework, you don't have to be that detailed.

Some mining company are public company, so you might able to get rough idea from their financial report.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Yamane_Keto

Activity: 476
Merit: 486

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2024, 12:46:40 PM

Companies that manufacture mining hardware do not mostly do mining, but rather offer hardware and solutions. BITMAIN manages the Antpool mining pool, which allows everyone who has a mining device to participate.
here is information about mining companies  https://companiesmarketcap.com/bitcoin-mining/largest-bitcoin-mining-companies-by-revenue/

Core Scientific and Marathon Digital Holdings are the largest companies with revenues of $0.50 B and $0.38 B.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██