Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:29:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you support a Litecoin [LTC] X11 hardfork?
yes
no
other (explain)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Would you support a Litecoin [LTC] to X11 algorithm hardfork?  (Read 12771 times)
zero3112

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:24:54 PM

X11 sound like OS X and look like mac - apple.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wu Zen

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:00:25 AM

copy darkcoin?
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:26:25 AM

We feel the 65% in the poll is a pretty convincing number for us to continue on our project.

You're kidding, surely. 65% of the very few people who don't think the thread is/was a premature April Fool's joke not worth bothering to read think it is a good idea?

I would not expect more folk who think it is a bad idea to even bother to open the thread, not expecting anyone but idiots to vote yes and not realising this forum is so full of idiots.

I mean everyone knows there are vast numbers of idiots here but might still have hope that it just looks that way due to the idiots being the noisiest bunch.

(Which maybe this poll actually helps to show...)

-MarkM- (I haven't even bothered to vote as it is such an absurd idea, why even bother?)

EDIT: I cannot even see the results so until I read the post I am responding to I never imagined anyone but a very few idiots would have voted yes, so saw no need to bother voting. If in fact idiots are in fact the ones voting then again why bother since they evidently plan to flood out all other opinions anyway. As others have said just do it, the real vote will be in gigahashes (or maybe only kilohashes if the idiots aren't ready to put their hashes where their forum-ranting is.)

523 yes

235 no

30 whatever or other.

Wow, I am amazed there are so many who voted "no".

My impression on seeing the thread title was the notion was so obviously utterly inanely stupid that it was a total non-starter, thus that only people who didn't think it was utterly silly would even bother to open the thread except for LOLs. (Which, as I saw the thread keep somehow popping back up instead fading into the oblivion of pages two and up of topics, I eventually did myself.)

I am surprised by how many people seeing such a stupid topic keep coming up actually bothered to look at it for the LOLs, as a lot of folk don't have all day every day to haunt such a silly forum as this one let alone read the silliest idiotic threads found herein.

-MarkM-

EDIT: Users Online:    5913

And that just at this one moment in time. Seems like hardly anyone voted yet even of those online right now this moment.

Yes but nevertheless the reason this matters is because it does matter politically from a community point of view, it is important LTC like many crypto have long prime distribution times, and thus this mining segment matters a lot for both confidence and investment to a degree.

Otherwise of course,  what justified the price ? 

So these things do matter obviously.

LTC is much less price manipulated than BTC, less centralized,  but many might see risks in that centralization due to of course the long distribution time and ASICs.

If no action is taken and the price moves lower, will this create pressure for a hard fork ? 

Thats a good question .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
precrime3

Activity: 84

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:32:21 AM

IDK if this has been said yet but,

Since there are so many preorders for scrypt asics, with KNC selling $2 million worth or so, there's a lot of money on the line. How do you think people would react if LTC, main scrypt coin, suddenly changed algo's? Just some speculation, would like some feedback.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:33:38 AM

Basically Bitcoin started centralized and stayed that way, partly due to no fault of its own.

The market expects Bitcoin the be centralized,  and its only savoir is corporate integrated investment,  ( very unlikely savior)

But even if LTC had a gpu miner very early it makes it about on par with the x11 miner now , everyone knows its out there, the market is more educated.

This means LTC has much more of a community relevancy so this poll does matter.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:48:58 AM

Since there are so many preorders for scrypt asics, with KNC selling $2 million worth or so, there's a lot of money on the line. How do you think people would react if LTC, main scrypt coin, suddenly changed algo's? Just some speculation, would like some feedback.
They would learn not to build filthy ASICs for glorious LTC, the hard way. Who would make an ASIC for x11 after the hard fork when they know full well it is very likely the algo will change.
LongAndShort
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:50:45 AM

Would i support changing the second most valuable coins' algo so then asics are made for x11?

Most prolly if i chased every new alt coin algo cause i thought it was going to make me more profit all while selling it as asic proof (which in my opinion should come with a disclaimer saying asic proof for a whiles yet) yer i prolly would!

But i don't because i'm not stupid and with lack of common sense so thats a big no for me!

Fact is ltc tried to be asic proof but got big, their dev team are not financial in the beginning and never thought about motivations to make asic.
they think its undesirable to have asics for it in the sense that it goes against what satoshi created bitcoin for but thats just the thing he created it to be for the masses
and freedom to chose gives us the freedom to make asic no one should be surprised and you can only run for so long..and how many people are you going to inflict damage
 on in the long run by running vs embracing yet another inevitable change..
precrime3

Activity: 84

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:51:33 AM

What I'm saying is that the community would "fork" as well with people trying to stick to script, and people going for other algos. Lets just see I suppose.

LongAndShort
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:55:13 AM

They would learn not to build filthy ASICs for glorious LTC, the hard way. Who would make an ASIC for x11 after the hard fork when they know full well it is very likely the algo will change.

The ramifications to changing such a huge coinbases' algo could be catastrophic and highly confusing
if i was a bitcoin fanboy and wanted to see ltc die this is what i would be trying to achieve right now..changing ltc algo by way of a vote
because thats all it will do
surfer43

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:58:24 AM

The ramifications to changing such a huge coinbases' algo could be catastrophic and highly confusing
if i was a bitcoin fanboy and wanted to see ltc die this is what i would be trying to achieve right now..changing ltc algo by way of a vote
much evidence. very shock. so greed. slight confusion  == much catastrophe. This has happened many times before, wow precedent, much sure.
FreeJack2k2

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:01:56 AM

This is the most pointlessly arrogant and destructive endeavor I have seen in cryptocurrency, yet. You know this worthless fork has no chance of success without the Litecoin name and resulting market confusion. If you want to make yet another Litecoin fork, go for it and call it something else. This project is asinine and I hope nobody supports this B.S.
surfer43

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:28:57 AM

Error: fallacy detected: argumentum ad nauseam
ilic

Activity: 535
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:54:54 AM

This topic is still an exploration phase to find out how much support there is for a LTC to X11 hardfork.

Scam? We don't accept money or LTC, there's no IPO and we cannot be bribed.
Our team is heavily invested in LTC and we want to secure the future of our investment, either by making progress for LTC or by encouriging the original developers to do so.

This is not a hostile takeover, without community support this will not happen.
But we want to make clear to the current developers that LTC is an open source cryptocurrency. They may hold a nice domainname or github, they don't own the blockchain.

put your time and effort into getting LTC bigger and more mainstream rather than wasting time to make it ASIC resistant for a bit longer.  Dont fight ASICs, just focus on getting LTC to be THE currency.

Good free and easy Bitcoin Faucet thingy: https://freebitco.in/?r=9293711
Do not invest in HYIPs people, however you can put some into iCenter: https://t.me/icenter_bot?start=j5t25s58148
LongAndShort
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:21:35 AM

much evidence. very shock. so greed. slight confusion  == much catastrophe. This has happened many times before, wow precedent, much sure.

LTC has been around to long to really fork like this just to avoid asic..When one day it will get asic anyhow for whatever algo it has.

My opinion is if you start changing it then you need to continue to change it and that like the devs have stated is not a good idea because so many people will be on the wrong forks sending their coins from exchanges to their wallets that are not on the right fork.

I will try to elaborate.
Because ltc has been around so long and so many trust it because it does not change and even the people who don't think that way..maybe just people who don't even follow its news but trade it speculatively so
what if they see the price of ltc go up and its in the news and they want to sell what they had stashed and they send funds from an old ltc wallet to an address on the exchange but because they are on a different fork those funds actually go to an address on another fork and not the exchange thus losing them all forever..this is not something you do lightly it has everything to do with peoples money and time put in to speculate mine or hoard whatever it is a dangerous notion to be playing with such a well established coin with wallets they have stashed in safes or whatever..they only have to update the wrong client and send to an exchange and lost forver its too damn big of a market cap to be facilitating gpu miners wishes to remain relevant on scrypt hashing unfortunately

You don't have to agree with the ltc team but they have proven time and time again that they are #2 for a reason and have put in the hard work for all the scrypt coins you see today they have even contributed to helping bitcoin fixes so in my eyes they have earn't their stripes and i trust them to get advice on this problem they are faced with right now
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:02:29 AM

Litecoin is made as asic resistant and it should be asic resistant.
dragonhunter

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:45:13 AM

Litecoin is made as asic resistant and it should be asic resistant.

ASIC resitant yes, ASIC proof no. We all knew ASICs will come one day.
eCoinomist

Activity: 112

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 07:47:16 AM

Instead of just copying what quark and other coins have done, I think there should be long term strategic change in the hashing mechanism to make it truly ASIC and bot-net resistant.

We can't just keep hardforking Litecoin again in the future when people start building ASICS for X11.

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:50:15 AM

Instead of just copying what quark and other coins have done, I think there should be long term strategic change in the hashing mechanism to make it truly ASIC and bot-net resistant.

We can't just keep hardforking Litecoin again in the future when people start building ASICS for X11.

The problem is, there is none..
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:58:48 AM

what did quark "just" copy, if there is copying involved it would be better to say that it got copied tons of times? and by other coins you mean litecoin too right?
BitcoinBaBa

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 08:05:27 AM

Hardforking in such a large scale to a new algo could cause instability and distrust .
It can be quite destructive for ltc.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: