Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:05:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If I am mining with 2 GPUs at the same time, but have a few problems...  (Read 2796 times)
nster (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:11:25 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2011, 11:10:58 PM by nster

I get 5~10 Mh/s less per card when I run them together, any advice on that? Also, 1 card has 15~20 Mh/s dips below the other card every 5 seconds or so (ie: 1 second every 5 seconds) any tip on that?

I'm in a pool. for now, I am running each in a different pool, but should I put them both on the same pool?

EDIT: Only dips by 7~8 Mh/s every 5 sec when -f 120 is set on both

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:17:19 PM

Every miner is competing with every other miner to find the correct hash for the block. However, it's less like a direct competition as a race. Both are trying to get to the finish line first. Sometimes one will, and sometimes the other will. However, since you're the manager of both competitors, you get paid no matter which one wins.

As to the pool question, since everything is probability and luck with mining, dividing your miners between pools or keeping them on one pool really doesn't matter. Go solo, divide them up, put them on the same pool - over the long haul it will even out. In a bigger pool you will get smaller, more frequent payouts. In a smaller pool, you will get bigger, less frequent payouts. Solo you will get rare, big payouts.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
nster (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:19:46 PM

Every miner is competing with every other miner to find the correct hash for the block. However, it's less like a direct competition as a race. Both are trying to get to the finish line first. Sometimes one will, and sometimes the other will. However, since you're the manager of both competitors, you get paid no matter which one wins.

As to the pool question, since everything is probability and luck with mining, dividing your miners between pools or keeping them on one pool really doesn't matter. Go solo, divide them up, put them on the same pool - over the long haul it will even out. In a bigger pool you will get smaller, more frequent payouts. In a smaller pool, you will get bigger, less frequent payouts. Solo you will get rare, big payouts.

Thanks... That's what I figured.

How about the other problems?

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:22:59 PM

I don't have a dual GPU setup, so I'm going to have to leave that to somebody else.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 10:49:06 PM

are they?

Not unless your starting nonce is identical.  If you are using a pool miner, the pool should be managing the nonces of the miners so that they are not duplicating work, although I'm not certain that this is done.

If you are mining locally, are you using two independent instances of the mining client?  If yes, then it's very unlikely that they are duplicating work.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 10:53:33 PM

If you are mining locally, are you using two independent instances of the mining client?  If yes, then it's very unlikely that they are duplicating work.

Would that be necessary? I was under the impression that GetWork() returns unique work.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 11:04:25 PM

If you are mining locally, are you using two independent instances of the mining client?  If yes, then it's very unlikely that they are duplicating work.

Would that be necessary? I was under the impression that GetWork() returns unique work.

That's correct, GetWork implies that you are using a pool miner, not an independent client.  So if you are successfully mining with a pool, you are not in control of the nonce anyway.

EDIT:  And yes, you can use a pair of pool miners to mine independently on your own machine, if you also have a client that is running that is modified to manage pool miners.  Either way, pool miners are probably the best route with a machine with multiple GPU's

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

nster (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 11:11:43 PM

Thanks for the clarifications and explaining guys.... Now we can focus on my multi GPU problems? Cheesy

BitterTea

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 11:40:23 PM

That's correct, GetWork implies that you are using a pool miner, not an independent client.

What? GetWork() is a JSON-RPC call: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list

If one GPU can call a local bitcoind for GetWork(), why not more than one? Are two cores at 25 mhash/s each not the same as one core at 50 mhash/s? GetWork already has to return unique work no matter how little time in between calls, no?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 12:18:32 AM

That's correct, GetWork implies that you are using a pool miner, not an independent client.

What? GetWork() is a JSON-RPC call: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list

If one GPU can call a local bitcoind for GetWork(), why not more than one? Are two cores at 25 mhash/s each not the same as one core at 50 mhash/s? GetWork already has to return unique work no matter how little time in between calls, no?

I'm sorry, but are you agreeing with me in opposition?

If I'm wrong, correct me.  But make sure that you know what I'm talking about first, 'kay?

BitterTea

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 02:14:10 AM

I'm sorry, but are you agreeing with me in opposition?

If I'm wrong, correct me.  But make sure that you know what I'm talking about first, 'kay?

I was confused by your wording. I thought you were saying that bitcoind did not support more than one client calling GetWork(), and that in order mine with two cores on the same machine, you would have to run two instances of bitcoind or run pool software.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 09:53:01 AM

Thanks for the clarifications and explaining guys.... Now we can focus on my multi GPU problems? Cheesy

well give us details then. What OS are you on, what are the cards, are they crossfired, what are your gpu loads on both?

nster (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 05:14:09 PM

You have to ask  Roll Eyes

Windows 7 Pro X64, both are 6870s. 1st is a Reference Visiontek, 2ns is the XFX Black Edition (940 core 1150 mem stock). Yes Crossfired. GPU load dips juuuuust a little when the Mh/s dips. Since I set them to -f 120 to lower the dip, th 1st is a dead 98% constant, while the 2nd varies between 96 and 98, but stays at 97 most of the time.

Thanks in advance for the help Smiley

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 05:21:22 PM

Windows 7 Pro X64, both are 6870s. 1st is a Reference Visiontek, 2ns is the XFX Black Edition (940 core 1150 mem stock). Yes Crossfired. GPU load dips juuuuust a little when the Mh/s dips. Since I set them to -f 120 to lower the dip, th 1st is a dead 98% constant, while the 2nd varies between 96 and 98, but stays at 97 most of the time.

I know of someone who had a somehow similar problem: with crossfired card, the slave card wouldn't run at 99% load on -f1, but fluctuate instead. Taking off the crossfire bridge and running the 2nd card independently fixed it. I guess you could try and test both your cards running at -f1. If the slave won't run at max load then you know where the problem is coming from.

nster (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 05:45:49 PM

I know of someone who had a somehow similar problem: with crossfired card, the slave card wouldn't run at 99% load on -f1, but fluctuate instead. Taking off the crossfire bridge and running the 2nd card independently fixed it. I guess you could try and test both your cards running at -f1. If the slave won't run at max load then you know where the problem is coming from.

Thanks I'll try that in 5 mins.... I do not think I should take it out/ put it in hile the comp is running so every time I wanna game I have to restart my PC? Sad Oh well

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 06:35:20 PM

Thanks I'll try that in 5 mins.... I do not think I should take it out/ put it in hile the comp is running so every time I wanna game I have to restart my PC? Sad Oh well

You don't "have" to take it out. As long as you know where the problem comes from and that your hardware isn't exposed to some sort of risk, you can then choose between better gaming or better mining.

nster (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 07:12:25 PM

2nd GPU does not mine without Crossfire Sad

rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 10:23:38 PM

Do you have it activated in windows? Meaning, a monitor (or dummy plug) connected providing resistance so that windows activates it.
nster (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 10:35:38 PM

Do you have it activated in windows? Meaning, a monitor (or dummy plug) connected providing resistance so that windows activates it.

yea that makes sense, like for folding right? I'd have to get some stuff from a shop nearby though.

Could connecting both to the same monitor work? (1 DVI other HDMI)

rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 10:36:22 PM

yea that makes sense, like for folding right? I'd have to get some stuff from a shop nearby though.

Could connecting both to the same monitor work? (1 DVI other HDMI)

Yep.

I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: