Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:08:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin lost >50% of hashrate, what happened ?  (Read 3764 times)
lppeu

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:37:09 PM

Because of price drop. At this current price mining is not profitable.
Said is reasonable, I will stop mining BTC.
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 06:39:19 PM

If the price keeps falling perhaps we'll see a drop but it's not going to be cut in half just like that

crazynoggin

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:47:50 PM

Never get your sources of information from one place, otherwise you may end up with the wrong information.

Use my referral link if you want: https://primedice.com/?ref=Crazynoggin
mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:34:12 AM

If the price keeps falling perhaps we'll see a drop but it's not going to be cut in half just like that

If the price keeps falling and stays down: we may see a flattening out of the hash rate in 6 to 12 months, possibly a dip, but doubtful;  it would most likely mean the end of exponential increase in difficulty  ----  stretched out in time, due to miners having committed capital for mining operations beginning months in the future.

I do not necessarily expect much of the network hash capacity to just up and quit any currently mining operations, as they already spent the investment on the expensive gear,  and there are very likely many miners with pre-orders of mining equipment as well,  some which have committed and can't just cancel or back out.

Would most likely serve to raise the bar on minimum hashes per  unit of investment expense,
for new mining operations.

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:30:21 AM

https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate

Update: Hash rate returned to normal now, it seem there was an error at Blockchain.info

Stunning graph even without the bad data.
FYI: The big rise is starting ~Oct 2013.

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:09:21 AM

If the price keeps falling and stays down: we may see a flattening out of the hash rate in 6 to 12 months, possibly a dip, but doubtful;  it would most likely mean the end of exponential increase in difficulty  ----  stretched out in time, due to miners having committed capital for mining operations beginning months in the future.

I do not necessarily expect much of the network hash capacity to just up and quit any currently mining operations, as they already spent the investment on the expensive gear,  and there are very likely many miners with pre-orders of mining equipment as well,  some which have committed and can't just cancel or back out.

Would most likely serve to raise the bar on minimum hashes per  unit of investment expense,
for new mining operations.

which also mean higher price support.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:34:26 AM

Good I'm glad to learn it was a bug as I couldn't for the life of me understand why something like that would happen.  I've not been aware of this so thanks very much for bringing it to my attention.
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:54:10 AM

Tell me why the bitcoin rates is moving down
Cuz of next FUD that china is going to ban bitcoin i think.
ujka

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:24:20 AM

Bug in Blockchain.info.
I checked 'stats' page on blockchain.info at that time, and there was number 86 for 'blocks mined last 24 hours'.
I then checked mined blocks myself, and counted 156.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 02:45:57 PM

Bug in Blockchain.info.
I checked 'stats' page on blockchain.info at that time, and there was number 86 for 'blocks mined last 24 hours'.
I then checked mined blocks myself, and counted 156.

I though so!
Smiley
it was not possible to lost 50% just like that!
Sometimes some bugs over all times charts are making ticks that are not easy to understand.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: