Bitcoin Forum
October 02, 2024, 05:19:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Little things that bug you/me about the forum  (Read 1870 times)
PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

Activity: 582
Merit: 4984

View Profile
August 15, 2024, 12:52:46 PM

Here's an idea: if a topic only has a new post from a user on my Ignore list (I'm talking about you ChartBuddy), it shouldn't show up on my Watchlist.
I like the sound of it. The problem is, it involves two things (user ignore, and the watchlist) that aren't present in my branch of SMF. There's no harm in posting ideas that I can't currently work on, though: I expect that I'll be able to work on them at some point.

I really, really hate the trend of having to guess the meaning of icons (and that's a lot worse on any "modern" website than it is on Bitcointalk).
Yeah, I know just what you mean. Smiley

But, in this case there's actually an icon-legend at the bottom of the page:

Will that also work on very long topics?
I think so. Behind the scenes it just makes the SQL query (that retrieves the posts) strictly more selective. The pagination and everything else will work like it normally does. Maybe there's some effect that I haven't accounted for, but, I'll probably be able to work around it if I bump into performance problems. It's actually an old patch (October 2022) that I'm re-working: When I originally sent it to theymos I'd only been on the forum for 4 months, so, I get why he didn't make time back then to carefully consider it. (Anyone else feel mildly embarrassed after reading their old posts/PMs?) Cheesy
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 17475

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2024, 01:34:20 PM

But, in this case there's actually an icon-legend at the bottom of the page:
Who looks at that? Tongue

(Anyone else feel mildly embarrassed after reading their old posts/PMs?) Cheesy
Ask theymos Tongue Some of his old posts are amazing Tongue
I thought BitCoin only generated in 50 coin increments, but I got 50.44 here.
Most users have funny first posts anyway Smiley

RickDeckard
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 3110

View Profile
August 15, 2024, 01:39:05 PM
Merited by PowerGlove (1)

Here's an idea: if a topic only has a new post from a user on my Ignore list (I'm talking about you ChartBuddy), it shouldn't show up on my Watchlist.
I like the sound of it. The problem is, it involves two things (user ignore, and the watchlist) that aren't present in my branch of SMF. There's no harm in posting ideas that I can't currently work on, though: I expect that I'll be able to work on them at some point.
This reminds me of the "bug" that I incorrectly reported here[1]. It didn't reach any consensus but I really believe that if I created a thread in a board that I have on my ignore list - due to numerous reasons - because it was the right place to do it, I should still be able to see it on my profile (for updates and such). I know that there's a workaround by just allowing the board to show up during a specific period of time, but I don't believe that is a balanced solution considering that someone in the future may post in the thread and I wouldn't be able to know it if I had the board ignored.

[1]https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5500520.msg64235262#msg64235262

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 4019

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 15, 2024, 02:58:01 PM

(In an upcoming patch, I'm considering making those face-containing icons clickable: The idea would be that when you click on it, it would open the topic, but with just your posts visible, so that you can easily see the things you've already said in that topic. Seems like an odd feature on its own, but, it's part of a bigger patch to allow quickly seeing only the posts within a topic by a specific author.)

I don't really see the benefit of doing that to be honest, unless you will be able to access this from the "Show latest posts from this user" page.

that gives posts in all topics, i think powerglove means to show replies in that thread only
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 7466

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2024, 07:55:42 PM

Speaking about ignore, I would like to see a patch that would improve and expand forum Ignore feature.
I know about some scripts that are used for ignoring individual threads, but I have to use them browser extension for script to work.
Do you know how complicated would be to add Ignore Thread feature/button wirh SMF patch?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
joker_josue
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4896

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2024, 11:56:27 PM

More specifically, I would like to know which topics I have already posted and which I didn't.
That's what that "little face" being present in the left-most icon means (that you've posted in that topic before):

(In an upcoming patch, I'm considering making those face-containing icons clickable: The idea would be that when you click on it, it would open the topic, but with just your posts visible, so that you can easily see the things you've already said in that topic. Seems like an odd feature on its own, but, it's part of a bigger patch to allow quickly seeing only the posts within a topic by a specific author.)

I already knew this... perhaps because I had already dealt with other forums.  Grin

Now, I don't see any advantage in clicking this icon and only seeing my posts. If you skip to my last post you are fine. Now just my posts? I think it doesn't make sense. But maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand the point.

PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

View Profile
August 16, 2024, 02:44:22 AM
Merited by dkbit98 (1)

Now, I don't see any advantage in clicking this icon and only seeing my posts.
Yup, it's a little confusing, but I think it'll make sense to you when the time comes...

The small feature you're referring to is basically just a throw-in (it's something that I can add, effectively "for free", once the rest of the code is in place). The broader feature is mostly about being able to "teleport" around large topics by focusing and then unfocusing on the posts made by a specific user (but, that's very difficult to appreciate until you've seen it in action).

For example, I often find myself in a position where I'm on one of theymos' posts in an old topic, and I'd like to jump to the next post (in that topic and if one exists) by theymos. Once you're used to that idea (being able from within a topic to one-click see just the posts made by a specific author), it becomes convenient to sometimes see just your own posts within a given topic (to refresh your memory of that topic from your own perspective, by seeing all the things you said, and who you said them to). For that particular use-case, the icon I was talking about ends up being a very natural place to hang a link (it stands to reason that if that's the icon that informs you that you've already posted in that topic, it should also be the icon that lets you discover what you've posted in that topic).

Speaking about ignore, I would like to see a patch that would improve and expand forum Ignore feature.
Yup, ignore-related features have been on my mind for a long time...

I dipped my toes into this back when I agreed to look into a topic-ignore feature:

Hehe, yeah I'll look into this. Smiley

I'm busy helping theymos with something that might keep me occupied for a while, and then after that I'd like to send him the 2FA patch that I've been talking about for months. Once those two things are done, I'll see about this proposal; haven't thought too deeply about it, but it seems like a good idea to me, and I think it's something that I would personally use.

I think maybe a logical place to put it would be here (bottom right):

And then, obviously something in "Modify Profile" to maintain the list of topic IDs.

The thing is, my to-do list has since picked up enough ignore-related items that the approach I'm most drawn to at this point is to just scrap the existing features and replace them with a new unified ignore system that could handle everything [1]: users, boards, topics, etc. I'd even like to add ignore expressions, so that you could (effectively) say something like: "In my topic in the Lending section, only show me posts made by Jr. Members and above." Shocked

That previous thought-arc is actually pretty common: With a lot of the suggestions I've internalized, I think about them on their own for a time, and then I think about them on-and-off in the context of all the other ideas from that same universe, and then I sometimes come up with something cool that would tie the whole collection of ideas up into a neat bundle with a nice pretty bow, except for the fact that it cuts across code that I don't have access to, or would involve too much code, either for me to safely/sensibly write or for theymos to comfortably review... so I put the whole thing on ice.

SMF has just about the worst possible architecture for feature development: It's much harder to make bug-free modifications to it than I think most people can really appreciate. By far, most of the time I've spent thinking about Bitcointalk has actually been dedicated to finding a way to lay the technical foundation for me to work a bit more independently and much more safely, but, for now I'm basically stuck working on things beneath a certain complexity threshold (which is why I titled this topic the way I did).

[1] xkcd 927 doesn't apply: I'm talking about replacement not addition. Cheesy
joker_josue
Legendary

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2024, 06:45:41 AM

Now, I don't see any advantage in clicking this icon and only seeing my posts.
Yup, it's a little confusing, but I think it'll make sense to you when the time comes...

The small feature you're referring to is basically just a throw-in (it's something that I can add, effectively "for free", once the rest of the code is in place). The broader feature is mostly about being able to "teleport" around large topics by focusing and then unfocusing on the posts made by a specific user (but, that's very difficult to appreciate until you've seen it in action).

For example, I often find myself in a position where I'm on one of theymos' posts in an old topic, and I'd like to jump to the next post (in that topic and if one exists) by theymos. Once you're used to that idea (being able from within a topic to one-click see just the posts made by a specific author), it becomes convenient to sometimes see just your own posts within a given topic (to refresh your memory of that topic from your own perspective, by seeing all the things you said, and who you said them to). For that particular use-case, the icon I was talking about ends up being a very natural place to hang a link (it stands to reason that if that's the icon that informs you that you've already posted in that topic, it should also be the icon that lets you discover what you've posted in that topic).

OK, I get the idea and the usefulness of this.
But, the icon would only lead to my posts, so what was your idea for me to be able to see another user's posts?

PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

View Profile
August 16, 2024, 11:47:13 AM

But, the icon would only lead to my posts, so what was your idea for me to be able to see another user's posts?
The idea is in this topic: Member filtering widget [◇/◈] (SMF patch). (The specifics have changed compared to what was presented in that opening post, but it should still give you a good idea of what I have in mind.) Wink

(Re-reading that topic made me smile, particularly that last post of mine: like anyone cares that I'm a "warm" winker, and not a "cheeky" winker.) Cheesy

I don't really see the benefit of doing that to be honest, unless you will be able to access this from the "Show latest posts from this user" page.
Hmm... I think the piece of information you might be missing is that I'm imagining those face-containing icons as being one way to quickly get at all the posts you've made within a topic. Another way, of course, would be to just navigate to any one of your own posts and then click on the filtering-widget (basically, clickable face-containing icons don't really factor into this whole idea much, they're just a semi-helpful option for when you're looking at the topic from the outside: like when you're just browsing the board, or in the watchlist, for example).

If you find yourself in a situation where you don't know whether or not you've posted in a given topic (but would like to know), and you can't get eyes on any of its potentially face-containing icons, then the thing to do (after the patch is merged; obviously doesn't work ATM) would be to manually add your UID to the URL, like this (using WO [1] as an example): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336;u=2739424.

[1] Not the best example, because that thread is basically pegged to the top of Speculation, but, yeah, I'm sure you get the idea. Smiley
LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2024, 08:01:36 AM

I can usually find all messages from a certain user when I search Search my PM inbox for "e" from "username". I'd like to do the same on my outbox, but it's not possible.

PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

View Profile
September 09, 2024, 04:36:19 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1), ABCbits (1)

Can anyone think of a good reason to keep the current behavior that when you've set "Hide email address from public?" that you can still see your own e-mail address in the locations that this profile-setting would normally affect?

I recently bumped into some old topics about this (it came up a few times in 2011: here, here, and here, and I'm guessing a few more times besides). I've always found it to be kind of an odd behavior. I'd like to make the logic simpler, but I'd first like to do a sanity check that I'm not missing anything obvious...

When a user has enabled their "Hide email address from public?" setting, I think:

(1) That it's not actually useful for them to still be able to see their own e-mail address from the profile page. I think it makes more sense for that field's value to look to them how it would appear to (most) everyone else examining that user's profile: hidden from view. (In fact, beyond being a long-standing source of confusion, I think it's actually a small privacy flaw, too: Why, in exchange for nothing useful, would you expose a meant-to-be-hidden thing to the possibility of being shoulder surfed?)

(2) That it's not actually useful for them to still be able to see their own e-mail address as a contact method next to each of their posts. (It only invites inexperienced members to wonder if other people can see it, too. Also, what's it even there for in this case? A convenient way for members to be able to send an e-mail to themselves?)

Anybody disagree with my thinking? If nobody can make a compelling case for the current behavior, then I'll put together a patch for this.
LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2024, 07:33:58 AM

Can anyone think of a good reason to keep the current behavior that when you've set "Hide email address from public?" that you can still see your own e-mail address in the locations that this profile-setting would normally affect?
Account farmers?

Seeing my email address in my profile has confused me a few times indeed.

I'll put together a patch for this.
Go for it!

ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 7900

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
September 09, 2024, 09:58:37 AM

Anybody disagree with my thinking? If nobody can make a compelling case for the current behavior, then I'll put together a patch for this.

A patch would be great. Although since some user already used with current behavior, some kind of message or link about user can find their email address on "Account Related Settings" would be great.

Account farmers?

I can see account farmer benefit from that, since it save them some time from clicking "Account Related Settings".

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
joker_josue
Legendary

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2024, 06:50:31 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1), PowerGlove (1)

On the profile page, I don't see a problem with the email being visible to the user. This can even help the person not to forget which email they used to register.

Now, the link being visible next to the avatar in each post, it doesn't make sense. The person does not send emails to themselves.

I technically understand why this happens, and why I never bother. But it really doesn't make sense. So a patch, it could even be a good idea.

JiiBs

Activity: 244
Merit: 113

View Profile
September 10, 2024, 09:09:17 AM
Merited by Igebotz (4), PowerGlove (2), vapourminer (1)

I would like to suggest something not major but, something I wish was in place haven’t tried to have it with ease and couldn’t.

So, there was a time I was looking out for a users response within a thread. A response I saw before and wanted to make reference to but, sadly, took a lot of time and scrolling throw pages to track it down.

One way this could be avoided is by the use of a filter.

Suggestion: Can  we have a filter that could be either,
Username specific within a thread or
Phrase/sentence specific within a thread (although, this could be done using the search function but, not the first).

So it’s more like a tracker or compiler that places focus on a user of interests comments within a thread and sort of filters it out.
un_rank

Activity: 854
Merit: 840

- Jay -

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2024, 10:17:40 AM
Merited by PowerGlove (3), vapourminer (1)

Here are some little things, which may not be so little, that bother me...
I noticed that if you do not fill in a bitcoin address in your forum profile information,'Bitcoin address' it does not show up on your profile at all, can the same be done for -

MSN:    
YIM:

The rationale behind keeping them may be to keep the old school look of the forum, but if I have left them blank, can they not appear on my profile at all?

Secondly, I have always been curious about the local time displayed on profiles, is it set automatically or defined by those that add time offsets to their profile? And is there a reason this is public?
Someone could set the offset for themselves to be able to calculate times properly in relation to the forum, but the same user may have their location hidden. Displaying their local time gives a clue to the exact region they are in and can affect their privacy a little.

The final little bug, if we are going to have N/A for age that is not filled in, why not have it for any other detail not available on the profile? I am thinking that is because it may look messy, but if just used for Age, location and gender, it may not.

- Jay -

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
... LIVECASINO.io    Play Live Games with up to 20% cashback!...██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 6230

Crypto Swap Exchange🈺

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2024, 06:19:03 PM
Merited by PowerGlove (2), vapourminer (1)

More specifically, I would like to know which topics I have already posted and which I didn't.
That's what that "little face" being present in the left-most icon means (that you've posted in that topic before):

Hello PowerGlove!

I am now looking and searching for these "little faces" in my daily forum use.

I noticed that these icons are not always displayed correctly.

Take a look in watchlist for example. I have posted in some of these topics, but they are all the same icon (incorrectly).

I see the same inconsistence in the Updated Replies page. As I have posted in all "Updated Replies", all of these icons are incorrectly. Don't you think?

PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

View Profile
September 12, 2024, 06:16:41 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2), dkbit98 (2)

So it’s more like a tracker or compiler that places focus on a user of interests comments within a thread and sort of filters it out.
That's a great suggestion... In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's a superb suggestion. Actually, screw superb, that's the kind of suggestion that defies single-adjective description. It's the kind of suggestion that could only have formed inside of a beautiful mind. Which is probably why I did it back in 2022. Tongue

All kidding aside, yeah, that's a good idea, and it's something I once tried, and plan to try again in the future. My first attempt went wrong because:

(*) I've been hacking on code for a really long time, but I haven't done much with PHP, so when I started to dabble in SMF patches, I kind of just treated PHP like it was dynamically-typed C and didn't really bother to internalize any of its idioms or learn much about it. The first patch I sent theymos for this contained a small mistake that convinced him that if he examined it more closely, he'd probably find other mistakes, too. (Something to do with not handling non-scalar URL parameters, IIRC.)

(*) The particular files that need modifying contain many differences between theymos' baseline and mine. That means that theymos would have to take a lot of time to carefully extract the relevant changes from a set of diffs that won't correspond very closely to his source code, and then carefully splice those extracted changes back into his modified files, while also trying to consider all of the hazards that I'm unable to see and account for from my end.

I think that if I took another stab at it now, with the benefit of more experience, I could probably produce a cleaner patch that theymos would be more likely to merge. But, my plan is to see if I can first get him to merge basically the same feature for PMs (because that code agrees more closely between our branches), before attempting to get him to merge the feature for posts.

Anyway, long story short: It's a good idea that I hope to be able to get past theymos at some point. Wink

I noticed that if you do not fill in a bitcoin address in your forum profile information,'Bitcoin address' it does not show up on your profile at all, can the same be done for (...)
I like that idea.

The thing is, though, that even when a fresh set of eyes can tell that something looks goofy/wrong, to the people that have been staring at it for many years, that wrongness can look comfortingly right. Cheesy

It's one of those ideas that, while I personally like it, I'd feel better if some others chimed in about liking it, too, before I spend time on it.

Secondly, I have always been curious about the local time displayed on profiles, is it set automatically or defined by those that add time offsets to their profile?
The latter.

And is there a reason this is public?
As I understand it, it's displayed there so that people can guess at your typical availability.

I suppose, not being able to set your own time offset without also revealing it to everyone is (as you said) not ideal from a privacy perspective.

I could add a new "Show others your local time?" profile-setting, but I'd like to see some support for that idea from other members before working on it.

The final little bug, if we are going to have N/A for age that is not filled in, why not have it for any other detail not available on the profile?
I think maybe just abandoning the "N/A" idea is better than spreading it to other fields. Then, the rule could be (relative to your earlier proposal) that if something is blank, just don't show it at all.

As an example, instead of my profile looking like this:

It would look like this:

(I left the signature field because I'm used to seeing that at the bottom and it looks pretty odd to me without it, and also because removing it affects the table layout a little too much.)

Hello PowerGlove!
Hi. Smiley

I noticed that these icons are not always displayed correctly.
Nice catch!

I see the same inconsistence in the Updated Replies page.
Yup, that's actually the source of these inconsistencies, I think...

I'm pretty sure (educated guess) that the watchlist feature relies on the code in Recent.php, and that code has a section near the bottom that looks like this:

Code:
if ($is_topics && !empty($modSettings['enableParticipation']) && !empty($topic_ids))
{
    $result = db_query("
        SELECT ID_TOPIC
        FROM {$db_prefix}messages
        WHERE ID_TOPIC IN (" . implode(', ', $topic_ids) . ")
            AND ID_MEMBER = $ID_MEMBER", __FILE__, __LINE__);
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
    {
        if (empty($context['topics'][$row['ID_TOPIC']]['is_posted_in']))
        {
            $context['topics'][$row['ID_TOPIC']]['is_posted_in'] = true;
            $context['topics'][$row['ID_TOPIC']]['class'] = 'my_' . $context['topics'][$row['ID_TOPIC']]['class'];
        }
    }
    mysql_free_result($result);
}

That $is_topics variable is a (badly named, IMO) boolean that's true for ?action=unread requests and false otherwise (so, false for ?action=unreadreplies requests, and presumably for ?action=watchlist requests, too, depending on how theymos did the watchlist code). So, those little faces will appear correctly for "Show unread posts since last visit.", but they won't appear for "Show new replies to your posts.", probably based on a performance-related decision to skip that query for ?action=unreadreplies requests...

I can see why the SMF devs might have done that, because, in that context, you must have posted in each of the displayed topics, and it's silly to run a query for an answer that you already have. What I don't get is why they didn't (when $is_topics is false) just loop through all the topics and do a $each_topic['class'] = 'my_' . $each_topic['class'], though.

Anyway, now (again, just guessing) that this code affects the watchlist, too, I think it makes sense to simplify that if-guard, and allow that query to run in more contexts, so that the icons are always correct and agree with the icon-legend at the bottom of each page. That's as simple as theymos commenting-out the $is_topics part of the condition, like this:

Code:
if (/*$is_topics &&*/ !empty($modSettings['enableParticipation']) && !empty($topic_ids))

While I'm on this subject, I think that those two links ("Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show new replies to your posts.") are very badly titled/named. The first one suggests that you're going to see posts rather than topics, and the second one suggests the same, but for replies to your posts.

Really, I think the first link's text should be "Show updated topics since last visit.", and the second link's text should be "Show updated topics that you've posted in.", both of which better reflect what they actually do.
PX-Z

Activity: 1596
Merit: 948

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2024, 03:09:43 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2024, 12:16:35 PM by PX-Z
Merited by LoyceV (12), OcTradism (2)

Idk if this was suggested before, but i noticed that most merited (by users) thread/reply with multiple rows is a mess. While its good way to show off the merits received on that thread/reply. This will be more mess when time goes by knowing we have thousands of users here, imagine if half of it merited a thread/reply, it will be a long list/rows to show.

That's why I would like to suggest about the showing of received merits from users on a thread/reply to be limited by one row or two with others as collapsible content, with collapse button/anchor "More..." or "Show More..." by default, then "Less..." or "Show Less..."

Check the difference of the image result below how neat a two rows showing merits received  Grin

I did some tweaking on the codes using CSS for ellipsis and JS for toggle button

Insert HTML class and id with the "Show more..." button

HTML elements to be added:
id="collapsible-content"
class="merit-content"
html: <span class="toggle-button" id="toggle-button">Show more...</span>

Code:
<td valign="middle" id="collapsible-content">
    <div class="smalltext merit-content">
        <i><span style="color:green">Merited</span>
        </i>
    <div>
    <span class="toggle-button" id="toggle-button">Show more...</span>
</td>

CSS
Code:
.merit-content {
    overflow: hidden;
    text-overflow: ellipsis;
    display: -webkit-box;
    -webkit-line-clamp: 2; /* Limit to 2 lines */
    -webkit-box-orient: vertical;
    height: 28px; /* Height for 2 lines */
}

.expanded .merit-content {
    height: auto; /* Show full content when expanded */
    -webkit-line-clamp: unset; /* Remove line clamp when expanded */
}

.toggle-button {
    display: inline-block;
    color: #476C8E;
    cursor: pointer;
    font-size: 11px;
    margin-top: 5px;
}

JS
Code:
const toggleButton = document.getElementById('toggle-button');
const collapsibleContent = document.getElementById('collapsible-content');

toggleButton.addEventListener('click', function() {
    if (collapsibleContent.classList.contains('expanded')) {
        collapsibleContent.classList.remove('expanded');
        toggleButton.textContent = 'Show more...';
    } else {
        collapsibleContent.classList.add('expanded');
        toggleButton.textContent = 'Show less...';
    }
});

Edit: There will be much better approach if there is server-side script for this solution.

Another edit: i enhanced the code that can be imported on browser's userscript

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name     Collapsible Received Merits
// @version  1
// @author PX-Z
// @grant       none
// @run-at      document-end
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    let url = window.location.href;
    if( url.indexOf("bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=") > 0){
        console.log('Collapsible Received Merits');
        // Select all div elements with IDs starting with "subject_"
        const subjectDivs = document.querySelectorAll('div[id^="subject_"]');
        // Iterate through each div and process the ID
        subjectDivs.forEach(div => {
        const fullId = div.id;
        const msgId = fullId.replace('subject_', '');
        const collpaseId = `collapsible_content_${msgId}`;
        let tbodyTr = div.closest('td.td_headerandpost table tbody tr');
            if (tbodyTr) {
                let tds = tbodyTr.querySelectorAll('td[valign="middle"]');
                let secondTd = tds[1];
                secondTd.setAttribute('id', collpaseId);

let smalltextDivs = secondTd.querySelectorAll('div.smalltext');
                if (smalltextDivs.length === 2) {
                let secondSmalltextDivs = smalltextDivs[1];
                secondSmalltextDivs.setAttribute('class', `smalltext merit-content merit-h-${msgId}`);

const dynamicDiv = document.querySelector(`.merit-h-${msgId}`);
                const height = dynamicDiv.offsetHeight;
                    if(height > 28){
                        secondSmalltextDivs.insertAdjacentHTML('afterend', `<span class="toggle-button" data-msgid="${msgId}" id="toggle_button"><span id="clickid_${msgId}">Show more...</span></span>`);
                    }
                    else{
                        // To avoid id errors
                        secondSmalltextDivs.insertAdjacentHTML('afterend', `<span class="toggle-button" id="toggle_button"></span>`);
                    }
                }
            }
        });

document.getElementById('toggle_button').addEventListener('click', function() {
            const id = this.getAttribute('data-msgid');
            const collapsibleContent = document.getElementById(`collapsible_content_${id}`);
            const toggleButtonId = document.getElementById(`clickid_${id}`);
            if (collapsibleContent.classList.contains('expanded')) {
                collapsibleContent.classList.remove('expanded');
                toggleButtonId.textContent = 'Show more...';
            } else {
                collapsibleContent.classList.add('expanded');
                toggleButtonId.textContent = 'Show less...';
            }
        });

const style = document.createElement('style');
        style.textContent = `
        .merit-content {
            overflow: hidden;
            text-overflow: ellipsis;
            display: -webkit-box;
            -webkit-line-clamp: 2; /* Limit to 2 lines */
            -webkit-box-orient: vertical;
            // height: 28px; /* Height for 2 lines */
        }
        .expanded .merit-content {
            height: auto; /* Show full content when expanded */
            -webkit-line-clamp: unset; /* Remove line clamp when expanded */
        }
        .toggle-button {
            display: inline-block;
            color: #476C8E;
            cursor: pointer;
            font-size: 11px;
            margin-top: 2px;
        }
        `;
        document.head.appendChild(style);
    }

})();

███████████████████████
████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████

███████████████████████
BC.GAME
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
▄▀▀░▄██▀░▀██▄░▀▀▄
▄▀░▐▀▄░▀░░▀░░▀░▄▀▌░▀▄
▄▀▄█▐░▀▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▀░▌█▄▀▄
▄▀░▀░░█░▄███████▄░█░░▀░▀▄
█░█░▀░█████████████░▀░█░█
█░██░▀█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀█▀░██░█
█░█▀██░█▀▀██▀▀█░██▀█░█
▀▄▀██░░░▀▀▄▌▐▄▀▀░░░██▀▄▀
▀▄▀██░░▄░▀▄█▄▀░▄░░██▀▄▀
▀▄░▀█░▄▄▄░▀░▄▄▄░█▀░▄▀
▀▄▄▀▀███▄███▀▀▄▄▀
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
OcTradism

Activity: 1876
Merit: 852

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2024, 03:27:51 AM

Idk if this was suggested before, but i noticed that most merited (by users) thread/reply with multiple rows is a mess. While its good way to show off the merits received on that thread/reply. This will be more mess when time goes by knowing we have thousands of users here, imagine if half of it merited a thread/reply, it will be a long list/rows to show.

That's why I would like to suggest about the showing of received merits from users on a thread/reply to be limited by one row or two with others as collapsible content, with collapse button/anchor "More..." or "Show More..." by default, then "Less..." or "Show Less..."
I did not know any user script was coded for "Show More" or "Show Less" in list of meriters and amount of merit sent to a topic or post.

With threads that receive many merits from many users, have an option to shrink it is good but how many meriters you chose as a threshold for shrinking?

I saw you coded it as 2 lines but 2 lines can be for 10 meriters or 15 or 20 meriters depends on lengths of usernames.
May you customize it to something like number of meriters people want to see like 10, 15, 20 or 30, and they can customize it?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███