Bitcoin Forum
July 22, 2024, 06:21:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrink/expand header persistence (SMF patch)  (Read 119 times)
PowerGlove (OP)
hacker

Activity: 548
Merit: 4671

View Profile
July 18, 2024, 06:14:49 AM
Merited by LoyceV (12), dkbit98 (10), ABCbits (8), Xal0lex (5), tranthidung (5), hosseinimr93 (4), hd49728 (2)

This one was suggested by dkbit98. (Thanks for kicking off the suggestions thread with an easy one; being able to quickly fix the first thing suggested makes me look badass, yo.) Cheesy

The area at the very top of most pages looks like this:

That area can be "collapsed" (by clicking on the minus icon next to the date/time) to save some vertical space:

The problem is that the setting isn't being saved/persisted, so you have to keep collapsing it again and again as you navigate the site. What's interesting is that it is being persisted when you're not logged-in... That's weird, right? Why does it only remember to stay collapsed when you're not logged-in?

It turns out that there are two ways in which this setting gets saved: When you're logged-in, it gets saved as a so-called "theme option" via a JavaScript function named smf_setThemeOption that depends on a support endpoint (/index.php?action=jsoption), and when you're not logged-in, it gets saved as a cookie. (At least, that's how it's supposed to work.)

One of those two ways is still working (the cookie way), and the other is currently broken (the theme option way). I can only hazard a guess as to why smf_setThemeOption() no longer works, but I think what probably happened is that theymos disabled the support endpoint for it. Looking at the code for that endpoint, I can see why he might have done that (it's not a well-designed feature; it exposes too much attack surface relative to its usefulness).

So, I can see two ways to fix the problem:

Fix A

Since the feature still works as intended by using cookies when you're a guest, this fix just makes it so that the feature always relies on cookies (whether you're logged-in or not).

The advantage to fixing it this way is that the dodgy endpoint can stay disabled. The disadvantage is that the state is only persisted in a cookie, so if you sign in from a different device, or if you clear your cookies, then it'll "forget" (not a big deal, IMO).

Code:
--- baseline/Themes/default/index.template.php	2008-04-30 18:30:34.000000000 +0000
+++ modified/Themes/default/index.template.php 2024-07-18 02:47:24.000000000 +0000
@@ -45,24 +45,27 @@
  /* The version this template/theme is for.
  This should probably be the version of SMF it was created for. */
  $settings['theme_version'] = '1.1';

/* Set a setting that tells the theme that it can render the tabs. */
  $settings['use_tabs'] = true;

/* Use plain buttons - as oppossed to text buttons? */
  $settings['use_buttons'] = true;

/* Show sticky and lock status seperate from topic icons? */
  $settings['seperate_sticky_lock'] = true;
+
+ /* Always use cookies to shrink/expand the headers? (Rather than cookies when not logged-in, and theme options otherwise.) */
+ $settings['header_collapse_by_cookie'] = true;
 }

// The main sub template above the content.
 function template_main_above()
 {
  global $context, $settings, $options, $scripturl, $txt, $modSettings;

// Show right to left and the character set for ease of translating.
  echo '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
 <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"', $context['right_to_left'] ? ' dir="rtl"' : '', '><head>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=', $context['character_set'], '" />
  <meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title'], '" />', empty($context['robot_no_index']) ? '' : '
@@ -105,66 +108,66 @@
  // If we're viewing a topic, these should be the previous and next topics, respectively.
  if (!empty($context['current_topic']))
  echo '
  <link rel="prev" href="', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.0;prev_next=prev" />
  <link rel="next" href="', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.0;prev_next=next" />';

// If we're in a board, or a topic for that matter, the index will be the board's index.
  if (!empty($context['current_board']))
  echo '
  <link rel="index" href="' . $scripturl . '?board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0" />';

// We'll have to use the cookie to remember the header...
- if ($context['user']['is_guest'])
+ if ($context['user']['is_guest'] || $settings['header_collapse_by_cookie'])
  {
  $options['collapse_header'] = !empty($_COOKIE['upshrink']);
  $options['collapse_header_ic'] = !empty($_COOKIE['upshrinkIC']);
  }

// Output any remaining HTML headers. (from mods, maybe?)
  echo $context['html_headers'], '

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
  var current_header = ', empty($options['collapse_header']) ? 'false' : 'true', ';

function shrinkHeader(mode)
  {';

// Guests don't have theme options!!
  echo '
  document.cookie = "upshrink=" + (mode ? 1 : 0);';
  else
  echo '
  smf_setThemeOption("collapse_header", mode ? 1 : 0, null, "', $context['session_id'], '");';

echo '
  document.getElementById("upshrink").src = smf_images_url + (mode ? "/upshrink2.gif" : "/upshrink.gif");

document.getElementById("upshrinkHeader").style.display = mode ? "none" : "";
  document.getElementById("upshrinkHeader2").style.display = mode ? "none" : "";

current_header = mode;
  }
  // ]]></script>';

// the routine for the info center upshrink
  echo '
  <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
  var current_header_ic = ', empty($options['collapse_header_ic']) ? 'false' : 'true', ';

function shrinkHeaderIC(mode)
  {';

echo '
  document.cookie = "upshrinkIC=" + (mode ? 1 : 0);';
  else
  echo '
  smf_setThemeOption("collapse_header_ic", mode ? 1 : 0, null, "', $context['session_id'], '");';

echo '
  document.getElementById("upshrink_ic").src = smf_images_url + (mode ? "/expand.gif" : "/collapse.gif");

document.getElementById("upshrinkHeaderIC").style.display = mode ? "none" : "";

current_header_ic = mode;

Fix B

The other way to go would be to resurrect the disabled endpoint...

The advantage to fixing it this way is that the state would be properly persisted and would effectively be "remembered" no matter what. There's also a very small traffic-wise advantage to not using cookies for this. The disadvantage is that the forum's attack surface would increase (with the below repair: negligibly, in my estimation, but still a strict increase).

I've hardened the offending endpoint, and the result looks safe to me, but theymos should apply his mind carefully to the if-guard I've added to SetJavaScript() before deciding whether it's sensible to restore the endpoint or not (especially considering that there's an alternative fix).

Code:
--- baseline/Sources/Themes.php	2013-01-18 15:35:17.000000000 +0000
+++ modified/Sources/Themes.php 2024-07-18 02:50:57.000000000 +0000
@@ -1181,24 +1181,28 @@
  $context['sub_template'] = $settings['catch_action']['sub_template'];
 }

// Set an option via javascript.
 function SetJavaScript()
 {
  global $db_prefix, $ID_MEMBER, $settings, $user_info;

// Sorry, guests can't do this.
  if ($user_info['is_guest'])
  obExit(false);

+ // Best to enforce the low-consequence subset of functionality that this function actually/currently gets called for...
+ if (empty($_GET['var']) || !in_array($_GET['var'], ['collapse_header', 'collapse_header_ic']) || !isset($_GET['val']) || !in_array($_GET['val'], ['0', '1']) || isset($_GET['th']) || isset($_GET['id']))
+ obExit(false);
+
  // Check the session id.
  checkSession('get');

// This good-for-nothing pixel is being used to keep the session alive.
  if (empty($_GET['var']) || !isset($_GET['val']))
  redirectexit($settings['images_url'] . '/blank.gif');

$reservedVars = array(
  'actual_theme_url',
  'actual_images_url',
  'base_theme_dir',
  'base_theme_url',

(Though I've described the problem only with respect to the collapsible section at the top of the page, there's another one, the so-called "info center" at the bottom of the main page, that these fixes also address.)
NotATether
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 7069

In memory of o_e_l_e_o

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2024, 07:43:18 AM

I think making the forum use disabled endpoints is a bad idea, because theymos must have disabled it for security reasons as you know. So I would prefer the first patch. Even though I never collapse the header myself honestly - it's just confusing.

Although I am aware that newer versions of Simple Machines do handle this collapsing properly for logged in users.

PS. Where are you pulling all these PHP files from - are they publicly accessible? And how do you test these things?
joker_josue
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 4733

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2024, 12:50:44 PM

Fix A

Since the feature still works as intended by using cookies when you're a guest, this fix just makes it so that the feature always relies on cookies (whether you're logged-in or not).

The advantage to fixing it this way is that the dodgy endpoint can stay disabled. The disadvantage is that the state is only persisted in a cookie, so if you sign in from a different device, or if you clear your cookies, then it'll "forget" (not a big deal, IMO).

By the way, I never used this feature much, but for those who use it a lot, the fact that the chosen option is not "memorized" can be annoying.

I believe Fix A is the most appropriate. In addition to being simpler to apply, it will not affect the security of the forum. Furthermore, we are all used to there being times when a certain configuration stored in a cookie disappears, due to reset or use of another device. So this turns out not to be a big inconvenience. Because, as the person uses their browser, this should happen very occasionally.

Congratulations PowerGlove on this patch.  Wink

█████████████████████████
████████▀▀████▀▀█▀▀██████
█████▀████▄▄▄▄████████
███▀███▄███████████████
██▀█████████████████████
██▄███████████████▀▀▄▄███
███▄███▀████████▀███▄████
█████▄████▀▀▀▀████▄██████
████████▄▄████▄▄█████████

BitList 
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
REAL-TIME DATA TRACKING
CURATED BY THE COMMUNITY

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█

List #kycfree Websites   
Smartvirus
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 18, 2024, 04:57:48 PM

Fix A

By the way, I never used this feature much, but for those who use it a lot, the fact that the chosen option is not "memorized" can be annoying.

I believe Fix A is the most appropriate.
Like you, I haven’t used it either neither do I give it much attention but obviously, there are those who do, users whom eventually needs more space to work with and I understand that.
Safe options are always going to be the best approach to have that which should the patches be considered, I guess “Patch A” would be the more appropriate. An option without risk of attack is better than having the memory comfort with a looming possibility of an attack.

It’s an unpopular belief that many users would login their accounts on just any device. Mostly, users stick to their personal desktop/laptop computers or their mobile device. I don’t randomly pick up just any device to login my account, have reluctantly done that on few occasions but, it’s really that rare and in those moments, you don’t seek much comfort.

Since the patch could be remembered on an already activated device, it’s cool.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
..FAST DEPOSITS .........
..AND WITHDRAWALS..
    ▄▄████████▄▄                        ▄██████▄
  ▄███████▀██████▄                    ▄██████████▄
 ██████ ▀▀ ▄ █████       ██          ▄████████████▄
████████  ▄▀▄ ▀██▀      ▄███       ▄███          ███▄
███████▄  ▀▀▀ ▄██      ▄█████▄    ████████    ███████
███████  ██▀  ▄██     ████████▄   ███▀ ▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▀██
█████▄▄  ▀▀▄   ██▄    ▀▀█████▀▀   █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
 ██████ █ ▄ ▄█████    ▀▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▀   ████████    ██████▀
  ▀███████████████     ▀█████      ▀██████▄▄▄▄████▀▀
    ▀▀█████████▀         ███         ▀▀████████▀▀
..WHEEL OF..
..FORTUNE...
.WELCOME OFFER .
......200% + 50FS.....
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▀▀██████
████████████▀▀▀    ██████
███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
████▄     ▄█▀     ███████
███████▄ █▀      ████████
████████▌▐       ████████
█████████ ▄██▄  █████████
███████████████▄█████████
▀███████████████████████▀

.PLAY NOW.
[/ta
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 7332

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2024, 08:31:41 PM

This one was suggested by dkbit98. (Thanks for kicking off the suggestions thread with an easy one; being able to quickly fix the first thing suggested makes me look badass, yo.) Cheesy
Thanks PowerGlove, that was super-fast and quicker than I expected Smiley
I am voting for Fix A because I think it is more simple to implement it, but we the forum members probably won't notice much difference if Fix B was selected by theymos.

PS
There are other elements in forum that have similar ''issue'', one of them is footer aka Info Center, but this is more useful than a header.
Footer has Recent Posts and Forum Stats.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████