Bitcoin Forum
August 27, 2024, 08:15:22 AM *
News: All versions of Windows are affected by a critical security bug; make sure you update.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Card Q Account Number Question  (Read 122 times)
Solo6R (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 12:33:12 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2024, 04:24:06 AM by Solo6R
Merited by satscraper (1)

I've just setup my new Cold Card Q and did some test transactions to and from my Tangem wallet. All went well and I'm quite happy with the product. However I do have one annoyance so far that maybe some of you guys can help me with. When I go to Address Explorer in Cold Card Q it shows some wrong addresses until I go down to Account Number and enter the account number (1) that I put in when setting up the wallet. I believe just after the seed phrase generation I was asked to put in an account number, so I just typed 1. How can I make Address Explorer default to account number "1" when I open it up instead of having to manually choose it? Also what are the addresses being shown before I put in that account number, account 0? But what wallet?

I'm guessing I should have just left it blank or put 0 instead of 1, so perhaps I'm screwed here? I haven't committed my whole stack to the wallet yet, just did a small amount back and forth for testing of functionality purposes. I could always just wipe the wallet, generate a new seed, and basically start over if that's the only solution to this.
satscraper

Activity: 840
Merit: 1540

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 06:37:34 AM

I've just setup my new Cold Card Q and did some test transactions to and from my Tangem wallet. All went well and I'm quite happy with the product. However I do have one annoyance so far that maybe some of you guys can help me with. When I go to Address Explorer in Cold Card Q it shows some wrong addresses until I go down to Account Number and enter the account number (1) that I put in when setting up the wallet. I believe just after the seed phrase generation I was asked to put in an account number, so I just typed 1. How can I make Address Explorer default to account number "1" when I open it up instead of having to manually choose it? Also what are the addresses being shown before I put in that account number, account 0? But what wallet?

I'm guessing I should have just left it blank or put 0 instead of 1, so perhaps I'm screwed here? I haven't committed my whole stack to the wallet yet, just did a small amount back and forth for testing of functionality purposes. I could always just wipe the wallet, generate a new seed, and basically start over if that's the only solution to this.

Default derivation path  always ended  with the index which equals zero that defines account and thus its addresses.  Thus if you don't want to type manually the "1" which leads to account you have set up already the only option for you is to start from the scratch.

BTW, you may generate either new SEED or restore wallet from  the same SEED but with the new default account number.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Solo6R (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 06:48:53 AM

Default derivation path  always ended  with the index which equals zero that defines account and thus its addresses.  Thus if you don't want to type manually the "1" which leads to account you have set up already the only option for you is to start from the scratch.

BTW, you may generate either new SEED or restore wallet from  the same SEED but with the new default account number.

Great thanks. I'll go with the restore route. Will I need to do the exporting of the wallet again and import into Sparrow or will all the data for that be the same? And another question if I may. Once you exported/imported the wallet into Sparrow, is there any good reason to keep that exported wallet file on the SD card? I guess I pose the same question for the transaction files. Any reason to keep those?
satscraper

Activity: 840
Merit: 1540

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 07:35:53 AM

Great thanks. I'll go with the restore route. Will I need to do the exporting of the wallet again and import into Sparrow or will all the data for that be the same?

You will need to pair your newly setup  ColdCard ("after restore road")  with Sparrow again.

And another question if I may. Once you exported/imported the wallet into Sparrow, is there any good reason to keep that exported wallet file on the SD card? I guess I pose the same question for the transaction files. Any reason to keep those?

The only reason to do this  (as I see it) to avoid the path of pairing again in the case when something goes wrong with the the relevant Sparrow file on your machine.

P.S. I don't keep mine on SD. Thus it is up to you.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Solo6R (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 08:23:41 AM

Great thanks. I'll go with the restore route. Will I need to do the exporting of the wallet again and import into Sparrow or will all the data for that be the same?

You will need to pair your newly setup  ColdCard ("after restore road")  with Sparrow again.

And another question if I may. Once you exported/imported the wallet into Sparrow, is there any good reason to keep that exported wallet file on the SD card? I guess I pose the same question for the transaction files. Any reason to keep those?

The only reason to do this  (as I see it) to avoid the path of pairing again in the case when something goes wrong with the the relevant Sparrow file on your machine.

P.S. I don't keep mine on SD. Thus it is up to you.

So perhaps I didn't do this correctly. I deleted seed via the Danger Zone -> Seed Function, then did new wallet and restored with my 24 words. It never asked me for an "account" number again, and I still have to go into account 1 to get the correct addresses. Do I need to wipe something else as well?

EDIT: Disregard, I remember now the asking of the account number was when exporting to Sparrow, I've now done 0 and all is well. I guess I didn't need to restore or delete the wallet to begin with, just needed to export it again with the account of 0
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 7389

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2024, 07:11:31 PM

I've just setup my new Cold Card Q and did some test transactions to and from my Tangem wallet. All went well and I'm quite happy with the product.
What happened with battery issues you posted before this?

How can I make Address Explorer default to account number "1" when I open it up instead of having to manually choose it? Also what are the addresses being shown before I put in that account number, account 0? But what wallet?
I doubt anyone in bitcointalk owns coldcard Q devices, so you won't find much help asking questions like this.
Address in other wallets have specific order based on derivation paths so I guess it's similar thing with coldcard, and you can have multiple accounts.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Solo6R (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 07:49:14 PM

I've just setup my new Cold Card Q and did some test transactions to and from my Tangem wallet. All went well and I'm quite happy with the product.
What happened with battery issues you posted before this?

How can I make Address Explorer default to account number "1" when I open it up instead of having to manually choose it? Also what are the addresses being shown before I put in that account number, account 0? But what wallet?
I doubt anyone in bitcointalk owns coldcard Q devices, so you won't find much help asking questions like this.
Address in other wallets have specific order based on derivation paths so I guess it's similar thing with coldcard, and you can have multiple accounts.

Well I grabbed 3 different AAA batteries out of the new box of them I have, and the device powers on and works just fine now. Not sure if there is an issue with one or more of the first 3 AAA batteries I used (from the same new box), but simply putting in different batteries seemed to have fixed the issue.

Also, why wouldn't anyone here have a Colldcard Q device? Is this forum biased against Coldcard? I'm quite new to this forum, so don't know much.

Anyways, I've got the device setup and working wonderfully so far in conjunction with Sparrow, which also seems to work quite nice. I'd say so far I'm a lot happier with this Coldcard Q + Sparrow setup than I was with just Tangem. Nothing against Tangem their product and software was really quite easy to use. I just wanted something BTC only, as that's all I stack.
dkbit98
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2024, 02:30:17 PM

Also, why wouldn't anyone here have a Colldcard Q device? Is this forum biased against Coldcard? I'm quite new to this forum, so don't know much.
Because coldcard Q is fairly new device that was released recently after waiting a very long time for shipping to start pre-order.
We discussed about coldcard Q in forum and nobody liked it because of it's size, and because it's not open source, but I also don't like new screen.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Solo6R (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2024, 04:42:49 PM

Because coldcard Q is fairly new device that was released recently after waiting a very long time for shipping to start pre-order.
We discussed about coldcard Q in forum and nobody liked it because of it's size, and because it's not open source, but I also don't like new screen.

From my understanding they removed the open source license, but the source code itself is still available for viewing. So in other words you can verify the code and it's functionality, but you can't run off with it and start making your own devices with it. The size is perhaps larger than most cold storage solutions, but that doesn't bug me any. I'm used to using Tangem on a smart phone and Coldcard Q is still smaller than a smart phone, hah.
dkbit98
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2024, 05:56:36 PM

From my understanding they removed the open source license, but the source code itself is still available for viewing. So in other words you can verify the code and it's functionality, but you can't run off with it and start making your own devices with it. The size is perhaps larger than most cold storage solutions, but that doesn't bug me any. I'm used to using Tangem on a smart phone and Coldcard Q is still smaller than a smart phone, hah.
It's your choice, and you can do whatever you want with your money.
I have many other reasons why I don't like coldcard device, they have short life span, quality is poor, they get bricked by itself, and they become obsolete way to soon.
There is a whole graveyard of obsolete coldcard devices,and meanwhile we have first hardware wallet Trezor model One that is still being manufacturerd and updated.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████