Bitcoin Forum
July 27, 2024, 12:34:31 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tinubu has agreed 70k minimum wage for Nigerian works  (Read 131 times)
Roseline492 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2024, 05:21:24 PM

After all the long deliberation between the federal government and the organised Labour President Tinubu has finally agreed with the Labour that Nigeria minimum wage will be 70k monthly, so actually my question now is that does the minimum of the 70k involves every sector in the country including normal company workers? Or is it only applicable to government workers?, however the reason why I'm asking this is because Nigeria government can be very confusing at times.

And also lets say it involves all the sectors in the country including private companies how would the federal government make sure those private companies comform to there regulations? Because one of the things I understand about this country is that they are very good in making decisions but maintaining them is always the problem because they don't have a good law enforcement agency.

So what do you guys think about the new development by our president Tinubu?

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/714906-updated-tinubu-approves-n70000-minimum-wage-for-nigerian-workers

Yucky

Activity: 98
Merit: 63

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 05:41:45 PM

Most private sector that are financially viable pay their workers better than the public sector except for some private schools which is the area where I think this minimum wage should be implemented. The issue I have with the agreed 70k minimum wage is that with the level of inflation that we're currently facing, 70k is too small for a grown adult's feeding and all basic expenses.

We don't even have good numbers of public jobs outside of teaching jobs, a small fraction of health jobs, and a very few administrative jobs which account for less than 20% of the population of our workforce with the remaining 80% or above are either self-employed, private sector workers or unemployed. There is no reason to talk much about this increment in the minimum wage because it's bullshit.

When you compare the amount that a minister or a normal government official earns per month to what a civil servant earns in a year and discover that a civil servant's yearly salary isn't even close to what these ministers and senators earn per month, you will know that it's slavery for you to work as a civil servant .
Juicyhome

Activity: 70
Merit: 25

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 07:12:52 PM

After all the long deliberation between the federal government and the organised Labour President Tinubu has finally agreed with the Labour that Nigeria minimum wage will be 70k monthly, so actually my question now is that does the minimum of the 70k involves every sector in the country including normal company workers? Or is it only applicable to government workers?, however the reason why I'm asking this is because Nigeria government can be very confusing at times.

And also lets say it involves all the sectors in the country including private companies how would the federal government make sure those private companies comform to there regulations? Because one of the things I understand about this country is that they are very good in making decisions but maintaining them is always the problem because they don't have a good law enforcement agency.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/714906-updated-tinubu-approves-n70000-minimum-wage-for-nigerian-workers
The 70k minimum wage is for all sectors of the economy both private and public staffs. Like you said to implement it is another phase now, some state Governors will stil not pay works the minimum wage after collecting huge some of money from the FG. And nothing will happen to them, some private sectors won't pay too and nothing will happen to them. In a working Democratic state, when a minimum wage is been approved by the Central government all sector adhere to the directive,  but here in Nigeria only the FG workers will enjoy the minimum wage, and the government won't do anything about it. That's the level of underdevelopment we are. So useless.
Mr.suevie

Activity: 602
Merit: 349

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2024, 07:14:00 PM

You have said everything that's on my mind about the enforcement issue, I mean even the previous 30-33k minimum wage too was a very big matter for them to implement then come talk of this one, Omo e go hard well well oo we all know how this country matter be, e fit even be say at the long run of everything e come even end up as big cruise for these government personal wey suppose to with the new accepted minimum wage

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRADE NOW
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Mr Reporter

Activity: 45
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 19, 2024, 10:56:45 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2024, 11:44:12 PM by Mr Reporter

The 70k minimum wage is for all sectors of the economy both private and public staffs. Like you said to implement it is another phase now, some state Governors will stil not pay works the minimum wage after collecting huge some of money from the FG. And nothing will happen to them, some private sectors won't pay too and nothing will happen to them. In a working Democratic state, when a minimum wage is been approved by the Central government all sector adhere to the directive,  but here in Nigeria only the FG workers will enjoy the minimum wage, and the government won't do anything about it. That's the level of underdevelopment we are. So useless.

In addition to this like the local government worker when this huge amount of money is being paid for like two to three months the worker do not receive it, this country do bypass many things and very wrong honestly and the funny part of it that their heads in the department are not going to say a word to the president.
Let the truth be told how much is 70k monthly just take look at things in the market are getting higher what will 70k buy for a full members of the family. This people just sat there and say  ever bullshit dey want to say.

Freedom
Sexylizzy2813

Activity: 644
Merit: 432

View Profile
July 20, 2024, 01:26:12 AM

I been dey para for this minimum wage matter wey labor been carry hold hand dey joke with government but since then don approve the 70k I go say at least for ones the labor presido don don one better thing since I sabi am. As for your question, I think say company workers no follow for this matter becos we know say some na away get but if na the ones wey concern us e fit work and my own problem now be say, as them don approve am say na all over the country for naija this minimum wage go take effect, my problem na the governors them, to pay am go be talk of war.
These guys ready to delay payment of salary since them approve of the wage and no be all of them like am, I mean the governors them no like as Tinubu approve of this 70k, so na the problem workers go face and to even make the matter worse, things fit top money pass as e been dey and no be wetin we go happy too much about.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
TRADE NOW
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Richbased

Activity: 378
Merit: 203

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2024, 04:18:53 AM

To answer your first question, the implementation of the minimum wage is applicable to both public and private sectors, however when we are talking about the inclusion of private sectors we are talking about those that have met government standards and are regulated by the government and not some minor private sectors that can't measure up to government standards.

The agreement by the Nigerian government and the NLC on #70,000 as the minimum wage is not even a problem, the problem is why would labour accept a review of the minimum wage every 3 years, isn't 3 years too much because it is believed that the major reason for reviewing the minimum wage is for it to measure up with the situation of the current economy then what if before the next 3 years, the economy becomes even worser and an average worker is not able to meet daily requirements with that #70,000 isn't that gonna become a problem as well? they would have just accepted the minimum wage of #70,000 without entering into an agreement of a review every 3 years IMO.

Like you said to implement it is another phase now, some state Governors will stil not pay works the minimum wage after collecting huge some of money from the FG. And nothing will happen to them, some private sectors won't pay too and nothing will happen to them. In a working Democratic state, when a minimum wage is been approved by the Central government all sector adhere to the directive,  but here in Nigeria only the FG workers will enjoy the minimum wage, and the government won't do anything about it. That's the level of underdevelopment we are. So useless.

This is also one of the major problems because last time when FG approved #62k as the minimum wage, some state governors were lamenting that they won't be able to pay workers that amount so is it now that they have increased it further to #70k that they would be able to pay workers? The government needs to proffer a way to checkmate the activities of the state government even to the local government and ensure that this implementation of a new minimum wage cut across every sector of government parastatals and they should also assist states that may be experiencing difficulty in paying workers this agreed minimum wage since each state generates different revenues, some state might be going through severe economic situation therefore they can only function better when the federal government lends them a helping hand.

Chilwell

Activity: 644
Merit: 455

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>PID

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2024, 06:50:14 AM

When you compare the amount that a minister or a normal government official earns per month to what a civil servant earns in a year and discover that a civil servant's yearly salary isn't even close to what these ministers and senators earn per month, you will know that it's slavery for you to work as a civil servant .
For long I never considered civil servant a successful person, to me they are not successful because they don't have their own opinion regarding what they do for almost 35 years of their service, and after that the went home with not, I know they will be given an entitlement but to me it rubbish, imagine someone that retired this year and they are expecting their entitlement to be around 5 million naira with this current economy will have nothing to do with it because prices of things have gone high to extend that what 5 million naira of 2015 can cover 20 million naira of 2024 can not, if really the should consider the have to be measuring all this things with the current situation to make atleast 70% balance.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Juicyhome

View Profile
July 20, 2024, 07:37:05 PM

We should stop complaining about the amount we all condemned it, its small but is a win for the organise labour atleast there struggle yield result. The main issue now is implementation by  the Governors and LGA Chairmen, that's where we should channel our energy to now, if like it or not the FG under Mr president has played their role by approving the 70k minimum wage, but he has to ensure all state government implement it. The Nigerian workers deserves more.

We all know things are very expensive but with 70k additional to the worker, they will smile to the bank, Copper will also earn the 70k when implemented.
iBaba

Activity: 476
Merit: 271

Bitcoin in Niger State💯

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2024, 08:48:34 PM

I think in my own opinion that the increase of the minimum wage was orchestrated as a result of the nation wide protest that was heavily planned on by Nigerians. It was announced so that the NLC can reduce their pressure as well as their intentions to protest against the present doing of the government. The current situation of the country is that which is exteme in its own nature which is due to the economic hardships bedeviling the livelihood of people right now. The people are not happy with rhe government and the government is finding its ways to cool down the issue based on the protest planned across the nation. Well, I hope all this announcement will be in its truest nature.

DuelbitsSPORTS
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10% CASHBACK
          100% MULTICHARGER
Marykeller

Activity: 1148
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2024, 06:35:23 PM

We should stop complaining about the amount we all condemned it, its small but is a win for the organise labour atleast there struggle yield result. The main issue now is implementation by  the Governors and LGA Chairmen, that's where we should channel our energy to now, if like it or not the FG under Mr president has played their role by approving the 70k minimum wage, but he has to ensure all state government implement it. The Nigerian workers deserves more.

We all know things are very expensive but with 70k additional to the worker, they will smile to the bank, Copper will also earn the 70k when implemented.
Someone once told me that, the major problem we have in this country is our state governors. Our state governors are the major problem we have in this country. They are the ones to be held responsible for how bad a state can be in the country cos every month a huge amount of money is been allocated to them in the development of their state. As wicked and greedy as they are to choose to pocket the money for their selfish gains. However, let's see what drama they will choose to play in not being able to pay the 70k minimum wage when the FG has approved that.

In all, Nigeria needs more to meet up with the cost of living. The cost of living is way damn too high for many Nigerians to survive on. The 70k minimum wage is around $48, many families can't pay their bills with it for about a month before they receive another monthly salary.

For the record, take a look at the evolution of Nigeria's minimum wage, compare with dollar rate. Pix below

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Juicyhome

View Profile
July 23, 2024, 08:53:20 AM

We should stop complaining about the amount we all condemned it, its small but is a win for the organise labour atleast there struggle yield result. The main issue now is implementation by  the Governors and LGA Chairmen, that's where we should channel our energy to now, if like it or not the FG under Mr president has played their role by approving the 70k minimum wage, but he has to ensure all state government implement it. The Nigerian workers deserves more.

Someone once told me that, the major problem we have in this country is our state governors. Our state governors are the major problem we have in this country. They are the ones to be held responsible for how bad a state can be in the country cos every month a huge amount of money is been allocated to them in the development of their state. As wicked and greedy as they are to choose to pocket the money for their selfish gains. However, let's see what drama they will choose to play in not being able to pay the 70k minimum wage when the FG has approved that.

In all, Nigeria needs more to meet up with the cost of living. The cost of living is way damn too high for many Nigerians to survive on. The 70k minimum wage is around $48, many families can't pay their bills with it for about a month before they receive another monthly salary.

For the record, take a look at the evolution of Nigeria's minimum wage, compare with dollar rate. Pix below

I agree with you mate, the FG always try as much as possible to design good policies for all but state Governors will not implement it, they will make the citizens believe that the FG is the problem of this country meanwhile they are the major problem,  they earn high allocation every month plus state internal revenue yet we're still suffering in this country,  no progress and everyone will just be blaming the FG and left the Governors out.  In the 2018 minimum wage some state Governors didn't pay till date, so how would they pay the 70k minimum wage? This is my only fear about the new minimum wage.
Spaceman1000$

Activity: 602
Merit: 197

View Profile
July 26, 2024, 04:45:18 PM

I appreciate the fact that the President has recognized that there is need for a constitutional review of the minimum wage. But the problem is deeper than that, 70 thousand naira looks good but on the average, what can it really get for you in the market considering the hike in food prices. The people's purchasing power is eroding due to inflation, so we will appreciate it, if the government can do more in terms fighting inflation and restoring back the value of the naira, that way the 70 thousand naira can be seen to be appreciated.  Though the Nigerian labour congress said, they will be coming back to demand what they refer to as a living way, which pegged the amount around 250 thousand.

Justbillywitt

Activity: 322
Merit: 259

View Profile
Today at 07:59:14 AM

Omo this country is just so unreliable in every aspect, shey the president and labour been don agree say na 70k minimum wage and Senate approved the bill come pass am into law. But do you believe that federal government still paid the old minimum wage of 33k to workers for July salary. Shey when dem don pass bill into law e supposed take effect immediately. I been dey do my nysc and I come dey expect say dem go pay us the new minimum wage of 70k omo I was totally disappointed when the payment was made na the old wage I see. So what do think could be the cause why dem still pay the old wage to workers for July?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Marvelockg

Activity: 252
Merit: 160

View Profile
Today at 11:11:17 AM

For long I never considered civil servant a successful person, to me they are not successful because they don't have their own opinion regarding what they do for almost 35 years of their service, and after that the went home with not, I know they will be given an entitlement but to me it rubbish, imagine someone that retired this year and they are expecting their entitlement to be around 5 million naira with this current economy will have nothing to do with it because prices of things have gone high to extend that what 5 million naira of 2015 can cover 20 million naira of 2024 can not, if really the should consider the have to be measuring all this things with the current situation to make atleast 70% balance.
have you ever seen a civil servant that's completely happy or even leaving fine exception of the ones that are occupying a serious office where apart from thier regular salary they still get a lot of other incentive from the office? Working as a civil servant isn't rewarding at all and this is part of the reason why the police would constantly brutalize innocent people on the road at any slight provocation because what they are being paid isn't even anywhere close to the suffering they are passing through under the sun and in in the middle of the night. After retiring from active serve so many of them don't even get to receive the pension early enough? Some will go from year to year to the pension office until some die along the way and yet won't get thier pension paid to them. Is it not the main reason why when you ask an average youth if they would want to become a teacher they will blatantly refuse because looking at the living condition of most teachers it's absolutely nothing to desire should you choose that as an occupatin.

Your retirement benefits might not be guaranteed as a private sector worker but at least, the pay is even better and you get some previlages and a good working environment that makes doing the job fun and worth doing. It's not as though the new 70k minimum wage isn't an improvement, it's certainly a good one that they've lessoned to the cry of the masses but when we consider the reality that the level at which inflation has eaten us to, 70k is still not good enough.

meanwhile, would the 70k minimum wage include NYSC members?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: