Bitcoin Forum
August 30, 2024, 07:27:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hydro miner temperature threshold  (Read 50 times)
rjavadi (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2024, 07:37:04 AM

Hi,
I need to play with S19 hydro miner temperature threshold setting at my own risk. Currently it starts mining when inlet water temperature exceeds 20c. I need to set it to lower value to resolve startup period. I am operating a hydro power station where its input water temperature is only 10c. After miner gets started its hot output water is combined with input water to satisfy the desired temperature range.
Regards. 
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 3094

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2024, 12:07:50 PM

I don't think you can play temp threshold for s19 hydro it only has 3 options to choose from sleep, normal, and high-performance mode and this unit won't run if the unit is below 20c or if chip outlet temp exceeds to 80c it will stop mining with fatal error on the logs.

If you want to do some experiments about the temp limit, then you will need another OS like Braiins. Since this unit is supported, you can try it by downloading the firmware from this link below and boot it with an SD card.

- https://braiins.com/os-firmware/download

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 2666

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 27, 2024, 04:49:19 PM

Get a small electric water heater, put it inline with the miner(s) and use it to preheat the water until the miner is operating and can take over for it.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1357

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
July 27, 2024, 08:04:26 PM

Get a small electric water heater, put it inline with the miner(s) and use it to preheat the water until the miner is operating and can take over for it.
It can be done even easier than that. These miners have water reservoirs and you can put a heating cable, like the one they use in floor heating, in there. The cable costs a few bucks and is perfect for increasing temps by a few degrees.
It's strange that they set it to 20. I agree that 80 for cooling water temp is too high because at this point it's already starting to vaporize, but 20 for starting temp seems a bit high. What if you're trying to run this in your basement in winter. It's going to be 10 in there, so we could say a perfect temperature for mining, but these guys won't start, despite it being perfectly safe temperature for servers, but not for miners?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 2666

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 28, 2024, 02:34:24 AM

It's strange that they set it to 20. I agree that 80 for cooling water temp is too high because at this point it's already starting to vaporize, but 20 for starting temp seems a bit high. What if you're trying to run this in your basement in winter. It's going to be 10 in there, so we could say a perfect temperature for mining, but these guys won't start, despite it being perfectly safe temperature for servers, but not for miners?
Miners operate at a higher temperature by design. The electrical characteristics of semiconductors drastically changes with temperatures and since air-cooled miners operate at such high temps (60-80C chip temps) their associated circuits are geared to support that. That comes with the caveat that the circuits do not operate well at lower (<20C in this case) temperatures. That is why air-cooled miners do a warmup routine to get up to 40c or more before they start hashing at full speed.

The same applies to fluid cooled miners but because of the highly efficient liquid cooling it is impractical to do a warmup phase - it would just take too long to get  the cooling system up to temperature. Mfgrs did not change the circuits to run at lower temps because doing so then screws up the high temp operation. Since the amount of heat transfer between is proportional to the ΔT between the fluid and ambient air temp and since some areas can get up to >40C it is far better and easier to just keep the miners designed for high chip temps to minimize the size of the radiators needed.

In short - the miners rely on warm fluid temps that are at least comfortable room temp and up to very warm (as in desert hot), NOT cold water.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: