Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:42:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin100: 2.012 BTC for Ron Paul 2012  (Read 3941 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:27:37 PM

Please Take Note: Although I believe most readers of this post may lean toward a Libertarian viewpoint, don't accept my evaluation as gospel. Some, possible many, readers of this post may not want a damn thing to do with Ron Paul. That said, this thread is then not intended for you.

This thread was solely created to solicit donations toward the Ron Paul for President campaign, of which those over at Bitcoin100 will oversee.

The goal is to have supporters of Ron Paul, each donating only, and exactly, 2.012 BTC toward his campaign fund, and held in a wallet, overseen by Rassah, with the vanity address:

1RP2o12zajgJxnvzu72p33ga7RNg53Ysz

To view what current rests in the wallet, go here: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1RP2o12zajgJxnvzu72p33ga7RNg53Ysz

If you desire to donate more, do so in multiples of 2.012 BTC and, hopefully, as separate donations. This way it would make the blockexplorer page that much more impressive. There will not be any account tracking with this drive, therefore you can donate anonymously with, or without, declaring that you've done so.

I've already made the first donation, and I'm pretty sure Jeremy West, with Spend Bitcoins is not to far behind me.

We're well aware that a Bitcoin donation option probably will not be embedded onto Ron Paul's official website, yet Bitcoin may enjoy mainstream media exposure once the donations are converted to fiat, then handed over to the Ron Paul campaign in the form of a money order, check, etc., but not PayPal, credit card, etc.

I suggest we hand over the lump sum directly after the Iowa Caucus. Afterwards, immediately orchestrate a media blitzkrieg, spreading the fact that this is the very first major political candidate to accept Bitcoin as a contribution option albeit, once again, that option may not be available on Ron Paul's official campaign website. But, it won't take away the fact that the singular donation was amassed by supporters donating Bitcoin outside the auspices of Ron Paul's campaign funding structure, yet contributed to the same.

The only roll that Bitcoin100 will have in regards to this undertaking is the overseeing of the project. Consider this an adjunct project for Bitcoin100 in playing a vital roll in spreading the word about Bitcoin.

No donated funds, already contributed to Bitcoin100, will be transferred to this newly created Ron Paul wallet having the vanity addresses shown above.

~.~~~~~~~~

This endeavor was inspired by this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.msg652944#msg652944

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but...

I'm in.

It's never too late, Jeremy. Besides, 'the party' is just beginning. I took the liberty of putting you down for (1+) which translates into you pledging at least 1 BTC and will honor it when you see fit. Thank you kindly for your contribution.

BTW, I ordered that book from Amazon thanks to you. Did you see the thread where I outlined how the whole process progressed? Also, nice interview, the other day.

~Bruno~

Sent 2.012 for Ron Paul 2012 Smiley

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 05:38:53 PM

Does Ron Paul receive this money in Bitcoins or in USD?

(BFL)^2 < 0
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:43:26 PM

Does Ron Paul receive this money in Bitcoins or in USD?

My initial thinking is USD, but this is now open for discussion. How having him accept the donation in BTC would need to be addressed.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 05:51:23 PM

Not really my cup of tea. Campaign donations just ain't what I signed up for.
Sorry, Bruno, I think I'll pass this one.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:55:03 PM

I would just like to stress, again, that I have nothing to do with Bruno. He recruited me for managing accounts, and has been working my ass off ever since. All I'm doing is holding the money and freaking out about risks of losing it, since I worry about losing other peoples' money way more than my own.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 06:00:13 PM

Not really my cup of tea. Campaign donations just ain't what I signed up for.
Sorry, Bruno, I think I'll pass this one.

Remember, this is not directly related to what Bitcoin100 has in stored. By no means do we want to alienate supporters of Bitcoin100 because of this endeavor, although a roll may be played, or credit taken, when it has reached fruition.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 06:05:19 PM

Alienate Bitcoin100 supporters? Not happening man.
That's why I said "I'll pass this one" instead of "Get me outta here"  ^^

Rassah, I read the other thread and you seem to be doing one hell of a job. Big thumbs up.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 06:10:01 PM

I think this would be much more effective, in terms of Bitocin publicity, if the funds were given in bitcoins only - preferable to an address published by his campaign.  Especially since he publically pushes alternate currencies and has sponsored competing currencies legislation.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 06:12:22 PM

I would just like to stress, again, that I have nothing to do with Bruno. He recruited me for managing accounts, and has been working my ass off ever since. All I'm doing is holding the money and freaking out about risks of losing it, since I worry about losing other peoples' money way more than my own.

Damn! I meant to thank Rassah for hashing the vanity address. Thank you, Rassah, for all the hard work you'll put into creating and maintaining the wallets. No need to freak out so much about losing any money, for it's only money. I'll replace any funds that turn up missing, provided they weren't used to purchase another coffee table. As far as this current wallet is concerned, we can have Jeremy West have control of it, if there's no objections. The only reason I won't is because I want to have that layer of trust, so to speak, built in with this project, as I do with Bitcoin100. It may have proved more difficult to get off the ground if the same person who created that noble endeavor, also collected the money, especially if it's in Bitcoin.

~Bruno~
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 06:18:35 PM

I think politicians are rich enough

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 06:19:40 PM

Alienate Bitcoin100 supporters? Not happening man.
That's why I said "I'll pass this one" instead of "Get me outta here"  ^^

Rassah, I read the other thread and you seem to be doing one hell of a job. Big thumbs up.

I did read into that, between the lines, but I wanted to make doubly sure. Thank you, Jake.

I think this would be much more effective, in terms of Bitocin publicity, if the funds were given in bitcoins only - preferable to an address published by his campaign.  Especially since he publically pushes alternate currencies and has sponsored competing currencies legislation.

I totally agree, but fully knowing that second best may be the result, I was hoping that a semantic spin after the fact would work just as well. A little contrivance could go a long way.
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 06:34:25 PM

I'm not a rabid Ron Paul fan, but I do like him better than most.  Sent my 2.012
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 06:49:31 PM

I'm not a rabid Ron Paul fan, but I do like him better than most.  Sent my 2.012

Great, epetroel! The train is beginning to roll on the track I provided.

CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 07:38:45 PM

I don't think the "Bitcoin100" name should be associated with this, if you want it to be taken seriously as a charitable giver.  Making Bitcoin100 political will hurt it's ability to approach charities.

By all means, organize a BTC for Ron Paul drive but I think you are mixing two distinct things together which shouldn't be mixed. 
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 07:52:36 PM

I don't think the "Bitcoin100" name should be associated with this, if you want it to be taken seriously as a charitable giver.  Making Bitcoin100 political will hurt it's ability to approach charities.

By all means, organize a BTC for Ron Paul drive but I think you are mixing two distinct things together which shouldn't be mixed. 

+1
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 08:14:01 PM

I don't think the "Bitcoin100" name should be associated with this, if you want it to be taken seriously as a charitable giver.  Making Bitcoin100 political will hurt it's ability to approach charities.

+1

+1

The only other thing I worry about are the campaign finance laws which say a candidate has to report all donations and who they came from. Though obviously I love the idea. Smiley

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 08:23:25 PM

I don't think the "Bitcoin100" name should be associated with this, if you want it to be taken seriously as a charitable giver.  Making Bitcoin100 political will hurt it's ability to approach charities.

+1

+1

The only other thing I worry about are the campaign finance laws which say a candidate has to report all donations and who they came from. Though obviously I love the idea. Smiley

+1 for the comment about Bitcoin100

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 09:00:53 PM

+1

+1

I think we can make this work, albeit not with quite as much media impact as you want, Bruno.

Firstly, I agree, remove the association with the Bitcoin100. Secondly, to make this legal, instead of donating directly to the Ron Paul campaign we'd have to donate to a PAC, such as his Campaign for Liberty PAC. What do you think, Bruno?

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 09:09:06 PM

Grrr.... Just looking at the PAC donation pages it appears even there you have to report who you are:

The Federal Election Commission requires that all of these statements are true for anyone contributing to the campaign:
- I am a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- I am donating my own money
- I am not under contract to the Federal Government
- I am not making this contribution in the name of another person
- I am 18 years of age or older

I'm not sure this can be done as a publicity stunt, unfortunately. Anyone else have any ideas to make this work?

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 09:12:23 PM

I seriously doubt the total collected amount will be more than $2000, so it can just be donated from a single person who is willing to identify themselves
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: