Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:31:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public messages in transactions a privacy concern?  (Read 921 times)
dslowness (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 08:28:50 PM

I haven't really seen this discussed, but wouldn't the ability to add notes to transactions become a privacy concern and a method of easy regulation? I'm imagining merchants being required to reply to payments with "receipt" transactions with notes that could potentially contain sensitive information (i.e. what was payed for, the receiver's mailing address, etc. Even a simple order number could be enough to connect an address to a personal identity.) Am I just being paranoid?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 09:56:17 PM

It sounds a little paranoid to me Wink

That would equate to stamping every fiat bill you receive with the same information....

And whats to stop me from stamping all my bills with my competitors information to create a greater accounting burden for them?

I would say its untenable.
dslowness (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:43:37 PM

Perhaps. The main difference, however, is that fiat stamping would be much more difficult to enforce considering there isn't a public ledger to verify your compliance.  Also, the existence of larger merchants with publicly known addresses would greatly reduce the foul play you described. These merchants would be the first to comply, with the smaller "honest" merchants eventually falling in line. A slippery slope for sure, but definitely a point of weakness in the decentralized nature of the network.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 11:53:21 PM

Perhaps. The main difference, however, is that fiat stamping would be much more difficult to enforce considering there isn't a public ledger to verify your compliance.  Also, the existence of larger merchants with publicly known addresses would greatly reduce the foul play you described. These merchants would be the first to comply, with the smaller "honest" merchants eventually falling in line. A slippery slope for sure, but definitely a point of weakness in the decentralized nature of the network.

While not all do, I would anticipate most major merchants, if not all, implementing hourly/daily address changes, there is 0 benefit (aside from tx fees, much smaller the CCs) to having 1 big fat address vs. many smaller ones...
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 12:18:09 AM

While not all do, I would anticipate most major merchants, if not all, implementing hourly/daily address changes, there is 0 benefit (aside from tx fees, much smaller the CCs) to having 1 big fat address vs. many smaller ones...

Hell, in my case it's not even a wallet I control. If a customer pays with bitcoin it goes through bips.me then to me.

Buy peptides with BTC
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:44:46 AM

I've never added a note to a transaction, and nobody I dealt with had ever added anything either. So there isn't any privacy concern.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
dslowness (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:16:23 AM

I've never added a note to a transaction, and nobody I dealt with had ever added anything either. So there isn't any privacy concern.

My concern is with governments or regulatory agencies forcing you to add notes.
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:51:22 AM

I haven't really seen this discussed, but wouldn't the ability to add notes to transactions become a privacy concern and a method of easy regulation? I'm imagining merchants being required to reply to payments with "receipt" transactions with notes that could potentially contain sensitive information (i.e. what was payed for, the receiver's mailing address, etc. Even a simple order number could be enough to connect an address to a personal identity.) Am I just being paranoid?

The message could be hidden.  The original document would be known only to the parties involved, the public message on the block chain would be a hash of that document.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:35:55 AM

My concern is with governments or regulatory agencies forcing you to add notes.

Isn't the government in the business of helping us?
Seriously, if they get that involved we will need to start a different "libertarian" project.

killinitsoftly

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:49:36 AM

Considering most companies work via BitPay, it would be BitPay that would have to succumb to the demands of the US government.  Is BitPay American?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: